Heyy!!!!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:27 am
Heyyy guys, I am new here! I have been incited to introduce myself here by an auto-email from the mods, so I am!

My name is Dani, I am 17! I study Music at college! I love philosophy, but tend to have problems at times due to my inante belief that there is no meaning to life, so regardless of what arguments I may find myself embroiled in and how passionate I am about them, I always find myself being challenged by the question "But why does that matter?".

I believe in questioning every thought you have, and that once you get to the root of the question "why?" you will begin to get to the heart of life =)!

I used to post on the IMDB philosophy forum, but they changed it to just a religion forum, and in any case it wasn't that great a forum, the majority of the arguments were painfully circular.

So I am here now instead =)

I don't really know what one is supposed to say here to introduce oneself, so I will leave it at that hahah!

Dani Smile

Icon

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:30 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
Welcome. Salutations. Stradstvoy.

Glad you could join us. Make yourself at home. Cruise around and find something that interests you and participate as much as you can.

boagie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:37 am
@Icon,
IBelieveAllIRead,Smile

Dani, welcome aboard the good ship philsophy forum. Religion is a very present topic here as well, but unlikely to take over the forum. Well make yourself at home, and report to the quartermaster when your stowed away--------just kidding!! Think about your first post, is it to be in response to something or to start a new topic you wish to explore. At anyrate, again welcome aboard, we are pleased to have you with us! boagie

IBelieveAllIRead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:45 am
@boagie,
I am having problems posting! Whenever I try to start a new thread, I get a message telling me I am not allowed to do that. I am sure there is an obvious reason for this that I am simply not getting, but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone know what I am supposed to do? =S

xris

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:51 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
Welcome...no not a clue mate but i expect the mods will tell you..

boagie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:57 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
IBelieveAllIRead wrote:
I am having problems posting! Whenever I try to start a new thread, I get a message telling me I am not allowed to do that. I am sure there is an obvious reason for this that I am simply not getting, but I can't seem to find it.

IBelieveAllIRead,

Generally one is free to post directly after they post their intro, there has been a slip up it would seem. Justin when he arrives will correct the matter, sorry for the inconvience. boagie

Icon

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:58 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
IBelieveAllIRead wrote:

You need to post in other threads before you are allowed to create new ones. I suggest the philosophy of science or religion sections. If you care to take a walk on the wild side, the metaphysics forum has some interesting topics right now. Once you put a few more posts out there, you can then start new threads. Make sure to read the rules though, each section has them posted clearly at the top.

IBelieveAllIRead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:58 am
@Icon,
Icon;31572 wrote:
You need to post in other threads before you are allowed to create new ones. I suggest the philosophy of science or religion sections. If you care to take a walk on the wild side, the metaphysics forum has some interesting topics right now. Once you put a few more posts out there, you can then start new threads. Make sure to read the rules though, each section has them posted clearly at the top.

Ahhhh thank you Icon! =)

Icon

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:20 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
IBelieveAllIRead wrote:
Ahhhh thank you Icon! =)

Of course. Being new here myself, I had to learn these things the hard way. What good is knowledge you can't share. Razz

Speaking of which, impart some knowledge on us. Perhaps a personal quote or mantra.

IBelieveAllIRead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:40 am
@Icon,
Icon;31581 wrote:
Of course. Being new here myself, I had to learn these things the hard way. What good is knowledge you can't share. Razz

Speaking of which, impart some knowledge on us. Perhaps a personal quote or mantra.

Ahhh hahah I don't really have any mantras or quotes! Well, here are a few things I find myself saying a lot, so I suppose they are quotes! They are things that I think I believe in, anyway. At least, until someone gives me good evidence not to.

"Nothing is permanent."

"There is no universal meaning, so it doesn't matter what you do. To the universe, even the holocaust was insanely tiny and unimportant, so how unimportant are each of us?"

"Evolution is 'just' a theory? Gravity is a theory! But you don't question gravity!"

"I wish I could believe in God, but I just can't."

"Optimism is more harmful than pessimism."

"I'm not cynical, I am realistic."

"Whenever you believe anything, ask yourself 'Why do I believe this?'. It is suprising how often the things that you believe most fervently fall to pieces under your own scrutiny."

"If everybody were geniuses, then the genius would become the average. There needs to be an average for there to be the exceptional.The exceptional need the average in order to exist as exceptional. " - My flimsy attempt at reconciling to myself my own average-ness. Hahaha!

I apologise that there are no awesome and innovative philosophical points here!>.<! But oh well, I never claimed to be interesting =p!

jgweed

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:50 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
Surely there is meaning in music! One has only to study the Late Quartets of Beethoven.
Welcome to the Philforum, whose meaning is always in question.
Regards,
John

IBelieveAllIRead

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:00 am
@jgweed,
There is meaning in innumerable things when they are looked at from human perspective. But when we zoom out so to speak.... Not so much.

But yes you are quite right, from our perspective, there is amazing meaning in music =D! Although I must admit I am more partial to Prokofiev than Beethoven!

And thankyou for the welcome! I am sure I shall enjoy it here! Too much, most likely. I need to be revising, but this place is keeping me away! >.< Hahaha

jgweed

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:27 am
@IBelieveAllIRead,
From harmony, from heavenly harmony,
This universal frame began:
From harmony to harmony
Through all the compass of the notes it ran,
The diapason closing full in Man.

Rose phil

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:38 pm
@IBelieveAllIRead,
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q462/fairladyblue/welcome3.jpg

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:40:33