Seeking Enlightenment

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Seeking Enlightenment

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:09 am
An introductory reach to the masses-
I am Gaarder's Sophie still-lacking her Albert Knag; desperately longing for intellectual stimulation of this such particular leaning and in fervent anticipation of heated debate.
Looking to have impressions made upon my young and immature mind i would be ever-grateful for the occasional departion of wisdom that any might feel compelled to pass on...

xris

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@MCFarrell,
welcome... i can get you a bag of chips...

jgweed

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 08:35 am
@MCFarrell,
And I have a bag of pearls.

Intellectual stimulation can be passive or active. You may elect simply to read the threads and watch the videos, or to venture forth by contributing to discussions and dialogues that interest you.
Welcome to Philforum!
Regards,
John

boagie

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 10:23 am
@MCFarrell,
MCFarrell,Smile

Welcome aboard the good ship philosophy forum, no shortage of sages in this forum. Relax make yourself at home and enjoy and be enjoyed. Again Sir MCFarrell, Welcome, we are pleased you have chosen to join us. boagie

Rose phil

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 09:00 pm
@MCFarrell,
Welcome.

Wisdom is in the ears of the beholder.

Icon

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 06:42 am
@Rose phil,
Enlightenment is a state of mind reached by those with too much time on their hands.

On the other hand

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.

Welcome Welcome. It is nice to see new faces as I am one as well. So far, this place has been amazing and wonderfully challenging. Enjoy it.

Michael Ducey

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 06:32 pm
@Icon,
Is this the place to talk about meditation?

I am impressed by the similarity of meditation technique in Zen, Chogyam Trungpa, Gurdjieff, Eugene Gendlin, Peter Levine, Kurtz and Ogden's Hakomi . The key to all these methods is using "the felt sense", which makes meditation NOT thinking, but an exercise in awareness.

This difference between thinking and awareness might raise the question: does "philosophy" only do thinking, or is awareness a philosophical activity too?

I have a blog on Livejournal under the user name Michaeldee, where I ruminate about this. If it is permitted, I would love to link it to the Philosophy Forum.

HexHammer

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@Rose phil,
Welcome to the forum, hope you will find what you are searching for. Uhmm ..dind't catch your name? :Not-Impressed:

Rose;31262 wrote:
Welcome.

Wisdom is in the ears of the beholder.
Imo you are partially right, for ~80% are easily swayed by some cheap rethoric, whilst ~15% accept only partial factual and intelligent reasoning, and ~5% skeptics are difficult to convince and live in their own belives, or in belives of uncertainty.

..well that's just my personal view of humans and their understanding of things.

Michael Ducey

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2010 10:16 pm
@MCFarrell,
My name is as registered.
Can you help me find what I am looking for, i.e., a thread on meditation?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Seeking Enlightenment
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 12:31:44