Curiosity to a fault

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Curiosity to a fault

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Icon

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:02 am
Hello,
My name is Jerimi and I am obviously new here. I live in Austin, Texas where I work as a software developer. In my spare time I write my books and study favored topics such as philosophy, religion and quantum mechanics. I am 24 years old and for the last decade I have dedicated myself to the study and understanding of philosophy in hopes to find the answer to the ultimate question... Why?

jgweed

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:15 am
@Icon,
Welcome to Philforum! It sounds like you will fit right in, and will make a real contribution to the threads here.
Regards,
John

boagie

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:18 am
@Icon,
Icon.Smile

Well Icon, I believe your in the right place, welcome aboard. Think about making that first post in response to something which catches your eye or post a new topic you wish to explore. We are indeed pleased to have you with us. boagie

Icon

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:19 am
@Icon,
I certainly hope so. Though, my ideas are often met with great resistance so I am hoping I have found a place in which they will not be refuted but rather discussed.

boagie

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:48 am
@Icon,
Icon.Smile

Most peoples views are met with resistence here, that is the point I believe of such a place, it a testing ground so to speak. Few people here would just dismiss your ideas up front, but they will be challenged, you can be certain of that. It just makes it all the more interesting.

Icon

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 12:21 pm
@Icon,
I don't mind the challenge. I invite it. It is why I joined actually.

jgweed

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 01:47 pm
@Icon,
One can ask questions or present positions; if the latter, one must accept challenges from other positions, and allow one's argument and logic to be examined. But just as an unexamined life is not worth living, so too, an unchallenged position is not worth holding.
In a way, at least when it concerns philosophy, Hegel's dialectical synthesis in which our current thinking is modified by counter-perspectives seems very true.

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 08:43 pm
@jgweed,
Howdy and welcome to the idea restaurant. There's lots on the menu, so enjoy! Good people here.

Regards,
Tock.

By the way, the answer is "why not?"

nameless

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 01:45 am
@Icon,
Icon;30001 wrote:
...in hopes to find the answer to the ultimate question... Why?

May I be the fly on the wall when you experience the liberation in finding that there is no... 'why'?
Of course there can be all sorts of 'whys' if you believe there are. Thats the brain's job. But, in 'existence', there is no why, there just is. But..
Enjoy the ride, and
Welcome to the monkey house!

Icon

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 07:08 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
May I be the fly on the wall when you experience the liberation in finding that there is no... 'why'?
Of course there can be all sorts of 'whys' if you believe there are. Thats the brain's job. But, in 'existence', there is no why, there just is. But..
Enjoy the ride, and
Welcome to the monkey house!

I would say that, in my experience, there is a why. There is ALWAYS a "why"... it is just not often the "Why" we are looking for. Luckily, I'm not looking for a specific why. Some might say that could lend itself to my creation of a false "why" but I say that a question is only completely answered when no other questions may be asked of the conclusion.

Philosophy, religion, quantum theory, the human experience... it is like one giant 5 dimensional puzzle and I don't plan on quitting until I've solved it.

So sit back and enjoy the ride Mr. Fly, it's going to be a crazy one. But with enough open minded curiosity and sheer human determination, there is nothing we can't do.

nameless

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:13 am
@Icon,
Icon;30202 wrote:
I would say that, in my experience, there is a why. There is ALWAYS a "why"... it is just not often the "Why" we are looking for.

You state this rather assertively, as if from some great personal understanding, yet you have also stated;
Quote:
I am 24 years old and for the last decade I have dedicated myself to the study and understanding of philosophy in hopes to find the answer to the ultimate question... Why?

(I'm assuming that you mean "... Why?" is the 'ultimate question' to which you refer)

It seems to me that as you have found no 'why', yet, anyway, you cannot honestly assert that; "There is ALWAYS a "why", nor could you know that; "it is just not often the "Why" we are looking for."

Quote:
Luckily, I'm not looking for a specific why. Some might say that could lend itself to my creation of a false "why" but I say that a question is only completely answered when no other questions may be asked of the conclusion.

Questions and answers are two sides of a thought.
When the 'thoughts' stop...
"In Silence, Truth!" -Book of Fudd (1:1)

Quote:
Philosophy, religion, quantum theory, the human experience... it is like one giant 5 dimensional puzzle and I don't plan on quitting until I've solved it.

(Did you like Rubic's cube? *__-)
You do as you must. It's not like you have any choice in the matter.
I didn't/don't. I have enjoyed the 'unfolding' of understanding and wisdom, though. A fascinating and wondrous journey...
Enjoy the ride!

Quote:
So sit back and enjoy the ride Mr. Fly, it's going to be a crazy one. But with enough open minded curiosity and sheer human determination, there is nothing we can't do.

I am enjoying the ride forever!

"Onward through the fog!" -Oat Willie

Peace

Rose phil

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 03:36 pm
@Icon,
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q462/fairladyblue/welcome3.jpg

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Curiosity to a fault
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:21:24