Introducing myself

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Introducing myself

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:05 pm
Hello, My name is Trevor. I am 68 years old and live in Western Australia. Being raised in a small coal mining town where very little importance was put on a young man's education, most of education was obtained via The University of Life and an overwhelming desire to learn. I love philosophy, and at the present time I am reading a great deal of Bertrand Russell. I have never claimed to be clever, but I would truly appreciate the chance to be able to learn more through this group.

Trevor_C

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:28 pm
@Trevor C,
Welcome Trevor_C!

I am sure you will find an opportunity to learn here on the forum. And I am sure we will all learn and benefit from you in return. There is a section on the forum devoted to Bertrand Russell but no one has yet posted a thread.

Bertrand Russell - Philosophy Forum

Perfect opportunity to share your knowledge of this great philosopher with the forum!

Again, welcome and have a blast!

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 10:29 pm
@Trevor C,
If you are inspired to add to the Bertrand Russell subforum I would be happy. I haven't encountered much by him in my studies, because something else always grabs my attention.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

TickTockMan

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:14 pm
@Theaetetus,
Welcome Trevor, hope you enjoy your time here. We don't always agree with one another here (which is actually a bonus) but it's a very fine environment for discussion. A good group of people inhabit this place!

Regards,
Tock

Trevor C

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 05:39 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
Welcome Trevor_C!

I am sure you will find an opportunity to learn here on the forum. And I am sure we will all learn and benefit from you in return. There is a section on the forum devoted to Bertrand Russell but no one has yet posted a thread.

Bertrand Russell - Philosophy Forum

Perfect opportunity to share your knowledge of this great philosopher with the forum!

Again, welcome and have a blast!

Thank you for the warm welcome, and thank you for the information about the Bertrand Russell section.

Theaetetus wrote:
If you are inspired to add to the Bertrand Russell subforum I would be happy. I haven't encountered much by him in my studies, because something else always grabs my attention.

Anyway, welcome to the forums!

Thank you for the very warm welcome. I have never posted in a forum of intellectuals before, so am a bit nervous, but the worst they can do is to shoot me. Right?

TickTockMan wrote:
Welcome Trevor, hope you enjoy your time here. We don't always agree with one another here (which is actually a bonus) but it's a very fine environment for discussion. A good group of people inhabit this place!

Regards,
Tock

Thank you for your warm welcome. If we all agreed all of the time, what a dull world we would be living in. (smile)

jgweed

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:18 am
@Trevor C,
There can be some strong discussions about ideas and theories here on this board, since most of us think ideas and theories are important, but as we all are inquiring about the same things and like Socrates profess our ignorance, we value any considered perspective presented in a tolerant way.
Russell is always a fascinating figure. His Principia Mathematica is a major achievement, but he is also interesting as an example of a philosopher being engaged in the world. Like Sartre, he was active politically, and unlike Sartre, he was perhaps the more correct in his assessments of the problems in the world.
Welcome to the forum!
Regards,
John

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 08:31 am
@Theaetetus,
Trevor_C wrote:
Thank you for the very warm welcome. I have never posted in a forum of intellectuals before, so am a bit nervous, but the worst they can do is to shoot me. Right?

If by shoot, you mean juvenile insults through near anonymous communication then yes, although nearly all people here are above wasting time with insults. Then again, I could travel to W. Australia and hunt you down and take care of you once and for all!

If we are intellectuals, typically we are not the smug type that fill institutions of higher learning, so in all seriousness, I wouldn't be nervous. Instead, be inspired.

boagie

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 10:10 am
@Trevor C,
Trevor,Smile

You just cannot keep a good man down. I am quite a believer in context defines, I do not think your case is an acception. I think it has more to do with the constitution one is born with, certainly you must believe that Austrailia, and that mining town played a major role in forming your character and your identity---------but I babble!! Welcome aboard Trevor, between the two of us we will keep these young pups on the ball. Again welcome aboard the good ship philosophy forum, we are indeed pleased you have chosen to join us! boagie

Rose phil

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 12:25 pm
@Trevor C,
Hi there! Welcome to the Philosophy Forum.

William

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 01:06 pm
@Trevor C,
Trevor_C wrote:
Being raised in a small coal mining town where very little importance was put on a young man's education, most of education was obtained via The University of Life and an overwhelming desire to learn.
Trevor_C

Sometimes you might want to consder life the best teacher, my friend. If we are paying attention, it can teach us far more than what can be obtained behind Ivied walls. Welcome. Never been "down under" but always wanted to go.

William

Trevor C

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 06:31 am
@William,
William wrote:
Sometimes you might want to consder life the best teacher, my friend. If we are paying attention, it can teach us far more than what can be obtained behind Ivied walls. Welcome. Never been "down under" but always wanted to go.

William

Thank you for you warm welcome William. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone in the group to exchange ideas.

Rose wrote:
Hi there! Welcome to the Philosophy Forum.

Thank you for the welcome Rose, it was very thoughtful of you.

Quote:
and like Socrates profess our ignorance
Thank you for the advice John. I learned many years ago never to claim to know too much, otherwise people expect too much out of you. Laughing

boagie wrote:
Trevor,Smile

You just cannot keep a good man down. I am quite a believer in context defines, I do not think your case is an acception. I think it has more to do with the constitution one is born with, certainly you must believe that Austrailia, and that mining town played a major role in forming your character and your identity---------but I babble!! Welcome aboard Trevor, between the two of us we will keep these young pups on the ball. Again welcome aboard the good ship philosophy forum, we are indeed pleased you have chosen to join us! boagie

Thank you for the very warm welcome boagie, I love this group already and spend a great deal of my day here reading the threads. I feel like a small child let loose in a sweets shop. Hahahaha

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Introducing myself
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 02:21:44