...and a Giant was born...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » ...and a Giant was born...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:00 am
Hello there.

I'd like to say hello to all of you and give you a brief explanation of why I am here.

My name is Nic and I am a freshman in highschool. Just near the end of my 8th grade year i was diagnosed with ADD and prescribed medication. Due to this i believe that it has opened my eyes to deeper thinking and provides a focused atmosphere for me to just relax and simply think. This thinking was so soothing i tried to do it as much as possible when medicated or not. I find that it lets a relaxed feeling envelope me.

Now dont get me wrong, i have done this kind of soul-digging before, but never had the oppurtunity to focus on it intensely. So if you find yourself thinking that this kid is just geeking on adderall you have misinterpreted what i am saying.

The type of thinking I am interested in is revolved around the meaning and how simple, yet complex life is. Not only that, but i tend to ask myself what is possible for me to think beyond solely my senses, and trying to deeply analize the things these senses protray to me.

So now i come to the final (perhaps most important?) part of what I am trying to say,
I am delighted to be a part of this community and take note that i probably wont be creating many threads, if any at all, simply providing my input to various subjects people have brought up.

and now i say farewell.

Edit: Ah i almost forgot, i look forward to any input any of you may have.
Have a nice day.

boagie

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 08:25 am
@thehossest,
thehossest,Smile

Hi Nic, there was a time not to long ago where they diagnosed any young man that acted out with ADD. I do not know a great deal about it however. I am, we are, most pleased to have you with us, settle in and make yourself at home, your in the right place. Again a big WELCOME ABOARD!!! boagie

Theaetetus

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 09:42 am
@thehossest,
I think that there are truly people that have serious problems holding attention. The problem with the explosion of ADD diagnosis, is that lazy children were/are assumed to have problems with attention. I am glad that medication has helped you focus, relax, and think while leading you to this wonderful set of forums. Welcome, enjoy your stay, and hopefully you find that which you seek.

Khethil

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:15 am
@thehossest,
Excellent introduction; we should all be so open.

Precociousness is often misinterpreted as geekyness. When I was about your age I caught so much horse-hockey trying to talk such issues that it successfully shut me up for over a decade.

I look forward to fleshing out some of the very issues you bring up; and you're right, life is both complex and simple. Complex in the millions of threads that constitute cause & effect, emotions and implications. Yet simple in its constituency of meaning.

Welcome aboard!

PS: I'm guessing I'm ADD too; though back in my day no one knew what that was and I refuse to see any doctor or psychiatrist for anything. I steadfastly believe no physician could accurately diagnose anything (except for, perhaps, a severed arm; and then only if I were to beat them over the head with it :sarcastic: )

jgweed

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@thehossest,
"All men by nature desire to know," begins Aristotle. And it is not merely the knowledge provided by the senses (for we share this with animals), but humans also are inclined to wonder about the meanings triggered by the sense impressions and seek to understand the causes of things.
These forums reflect many different attempts to understand the world and ourselves, and your contributions will help broaden the communal perspective.
Welcome to the forums,
John

Justin

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 10:21 pm
@thehossest,
Warm welcome to you Nic and thank you for the honest and insightful introduction. If you ask my wife she'll tell you I have ADD as well. Smile ADD is diagnosed all too often and it may be that they don't know what exactly it is. It just may be that your thought patterns or level of vibration far succeeds those who have given the diagnoses. Losing interest in trivial things is not what I'd consider ADD.

Needless to say, welcome to the forum young man and hope you feel an acceptance here and grow old with many of us.

Rose phil

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 01:06 pm
@thehossest,
Hi there! Welcome to the Philosophy Forum.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » ...and a Giant was born...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 12:48:39