Hello Philosophy World

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello Philosophy World

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
Hello,

I am new to the philosophy world but I have always had an interest in the subject. I have a degree in computer science and I have been trained to look at things logically. I think I have a lot to learn on the subject and also I have a lot of ideas and theories that I would like to share and talk about in this forum. Chances are some of my thoughts might be considered crazy and unorthodox but I think people in this forum will help mold my thoughts and theories into something that can be learned from.

Thanks,

xxarmoxx

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:32 pm
@xxarmoxx,
Welcome xxarmoxxx!!!

Your proclamation of ignorance and the desire to learn more implies just how wise you are. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here on the forum. All crazy theories welcome. I'm sure you'll get a good response to them.

Are there any particular areas of philosophy you are interested in?

xxarmoxx

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 04:39 pm
@xxarmoxx,
I am most interested in metaphysics but I do have some interesting theories on religion that I would like to share.

I want to get a good intro book on philosophy, can someone please recommend a good starter book?

jgweed

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 05:16 pm
@xxarmoxx,
Bertrand Russell's History of Philosophy is a very readable and good general introduction to the thinking of the important philosophers, and his survey will no doubt suggest both philosophers and areas that might interest you. There is an interesting discussion in this thread:

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/lounge/general-discussion/1900-good-book-general-introduction-philosophy.html

There are also good philosophical dictionaries and encyclopedias on-line that will help you through some of the more difficult areas. And of course, you can certainly solicit information (naturally opinionated) by posting a question here on the forums.

Having perhaps some knowledge of programming and how systems "hang together" with the various modules interfacing with each other, will make reading and doing philosophy much easier.

Welcome to the forum!
Regards,
John

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 06:03 pm
@jgweed,
Metaphysics is a very rewarding subject to learn. I am a fan of Aristotelian metaphysics myself. If you are interested in the "primacy of being" as he calls it, or really the origins of substance, you can pick up Aristotle's Metaphysics and just start in book Zeta, chapters 1 -10. Very interesting read. Other good metaphysics texts are Rene Descartes Meditations on First Philosophy, Spinoza's Ethic, Leibniz's Discourse on Metaphyscis, Lockes Essay Concerning Human understanding, Berkeley's Principles ofHuman Knowledge, orHume's Enquiry concerning human understanding.20 questions: An introduction to Philosophy. I used that book in my senior seminar graduation course in university a while back. They give you core concepts in philosophy (more like questions) and they give you a few pages of supplemental material to get you acquainted with the subject and understand the abstract they give at the beginning of the chapter. If I was starting out in philosophy, I would pick up the book first. This is a link to amazon with the book on it.

Amazon.com: Twenty Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy: G. Lee Bowie, Meredith W. Michaels, Robert C. Solomon: Books

boagie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:21 pm
@xxarmoxx,
xxarmoxx,Smile

Welcome to the forum, I think you've found home, personally I believe all that is require for philosophy is an active curiousity. You sound like an interesting addition to our numbers here, so again, WELCOME xxarmoxx!!
Did anyone mention to you as an intro, Bertrand Russell's " The Problems Of Philosophy?"

Ennui phil

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 07:27 pm
@xxarmoxx,
Greetings xxarmoxx!

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:44 pm
@xxarmoxx,
Thanks for the book recommendation Vide. I will be picking that up shortly.

Anyway, welcome to the forums xxarmoxx. Enjoy your stay!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello Philosophy World
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:40:08