Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:09 am
Hello everyone,

I'm a Kashmiri born Australian. From childhood, growing up in the war, my inquisitive nature has always driven me to ask questions, which I know can only be answered by the pursuit of truth. I look forward to learning from all the philosophers within this forum.
:deep-thought:

Kind Regards
TruthSeeker1

jgweed

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 11:54 am
@TruthSeeker1,
Most of us are also seekers after truth, or we would not be here.
Welcome to the Philforums!
John

Justin

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:49 am
@TruthSeeker1,
Welcome Kashmiri! Australia is booming with people interested in Philosophy and we have many on this forum. Thanks for introducing yourself and glad you are here. Feel free to make yourself at home and enjoy the discussions as well as this great community.

foxmulder710

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:05 pm
@Justin,
Hey all!

I'm an undergraduate studying Philosophy both in my spare time and in various classes at a college in the United States. I've been interested in the subject for about...8 years, now.

I've often been brought to the realization that philosophy is boring and dead (to me) if it's just a dead letter, a reading of text after text and argument after argument. Only in dialectic, in conversation, in interaction with other people does it become really alive for me. So, here I am.

Anybody have an answer to Hume's "is-ought" problem? LOL :Glasses:

Fox

jgweed

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:34 pm
@foxmulder710,
Reading the thinkers from the splendid history of philosophy might be boring, but it helps one to think and to be able to discuss positions from a philosophical point of view. Western philosophy began with Socrates's walking with his friends and discussing philosophy, and his student Plato retained this dialog form throughout his writings.
The philosophic dialogue seems to define the goal of these forums, so I am confident you will be an active participant.
Cheers,
John

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 03:27:59