Hello philosophers

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello philosophers

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

CarolA

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 07:04 pm
I knew there had to be more of you out there!
Somehow an interest in ancient history steered me to Latin & anciient Greek and then to philisophy. So I am now slowly reading my way through various ancient philosophers and various books on the history of philosophy.
I listen to Philosopher's Zone and anything else out there on the net I can find.
Wish I had known more about this fascinating subject years ago!

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:20 pm
@CarolA,
Hello and welcome!

I can't think of anything wise to say. Sorry. I may be of little or no use to you here. Also, I'm an Existentialist Determinist with a dash of Nihilistic Anarchism thrown in for seasoning, so I've got that going for me.

Best wishes,
Tock

CarolA

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@TickTockMan,
Well I guess your location explains that! :bigsmile:

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 09:51 pm
@CarolA,
Ahh . . . but is my location the result or the cause?

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:06 pm
@TickTockMan,
Hi CarolA!

Oh, there are more of us out there. But we function more along the lines of the highlander. There can be only one. LOL!

But seriously, welcome!

Latin and ancient Greek are very interesting subjects to study. I am more accustomed to German phonetic translations, but ancient Greek is really interesting. It would be great if you started a thread on it. But ancient philosophers are the best place to start. Do you have any favorites or potential candidates to read?

CarolA

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:35 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:

Latin and ancient Greek are very interesting subjects to study. I am more accustomed to German phonetic translations, but ancient Greek is really interesting. It would be great if you started a thread on it.

The Textkit forum (at http://www.textkit.com) would probably be the best place to discuss Greek & Latin. I try to read a little of these languages every day to keep them fresh in my mind.
As for favourites in ancient Philosophy - I am still not sure about this and it probably depends on what I have been reading lately!

Victor Eremita

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2008 11:46 pm
@CarolA,
Ah yes ancient Greek and Latin; probably would never get to it. I have enough trouble understanding Danish in order to read Kierkegaard in the original.

Welcome!

Deftil

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 02:39 am
@CarolA,
CarolA;25365 wrote:
I knew there had to be more of you out there!
Somehow an interest in ancient history steered me to Latin & anciient Greek and then to philisophy. So I am now slowly reading my way through various ancient philosophers and various books on the history of philosophy.
I listen to Philosopher's Zone and anything else out there on the net I can find.
Wish I had known more about this fascinating subject years ago!

Hi Carol! Thanks for that link to Philosopher's Zone. It looks neat, I will definitely be checking it out.

A couple programs I like that are somewhat similar are Philosophy Talk and BBC - Radio 4 In Our Time - Philosophy Archive.

CarolA

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 06:00 am
@Deftil,
I'm a great fan of "In Our Time", but haven't tried out "Philosophy Talk" yet, so thank you for that link.
I am waiting for In Our Time to start up again - those long Northern Hemisphere breaks are a drag! And right in the middle of our winter when I want to curl up and listen to some good philosophy podcasts!

jgweed

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2008 07:02 am
@CarolA,
One of the best ways to approach philosophy is historically with the Hellenistic philosophers, whose influence so permeates Western civilisation.
Welcome to this interesting forum!
Regards,
John

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello philosophers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:37:05