just introducin myself...

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » just introducin myself...

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 09:45 pm
'ey,
my name's chris. just joined. graduated with a degree in philosophy years ago. been livin out of a backpack for the last 10, pretty much since graduation day, tryin to find a place where i can live according to everything philosophy (life) has taught me. i don't regret any of it. but, not to sound desperate, it's been a lonely road more often than not. i'm tryin to come off the road, now, without losing what livin outside the box has allowed me to preserve. for me, it's a matter of tryin to live according to your philosophical beliefs not just have an opinion about them. i joined this forum in the hopes to find others who are tryin to do the same.

Justin

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 07:18 am
@chrisjohn,
Welcome Chris! Glad you joined. A philosophical journey can often times seem like a lonely road and for those of us who like to talk philosophy, it's not easy to find people who have little interest, let alone a desire to discuss topics that really matter.

This forum is filled with like-minded people on various levels of their philosophical journey through life so I'm sure you'll fit right in. Enjoy the forums and make yourself at home. Thank you kindly for introducing yourself as well.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 12:28 pm
@Justin,
Glad to have you on the forums!

Ten years as a full-blooded highway man. That's something. As you well know, settled society can feel constraining, but if nothing else, the rest of us need examples. Power of moral example is worth more than any words. I'm sure you'll get along well being settled, and also be an asset to those you settle near.

iconoclast

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 12:45 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
welcome back - wise hobo,

you missed nothing worthy of note. just another decade in the paradoxical decline of an advancing civilization. it's just like before only a bit more and a bit less.

iconoclast.

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 02:13 pm
@iconoclast,
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like a fascinating journey, but I understand the difficulty that can arise dealing with loneliness. I think a philosopher needs to at least make an honest attempt to live by their philosophy even if it goes against many of the standards and norms of society when justified.

chrisjohn

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2008 10:21 pm
@Theaetetus,
what a warm welcome. it's greatly appreciated. i'm realizing that my lifestyle though it had a sense of adventure associated with it was also a form of self-medication. to cope with the ways of the world some people use alcohol or subtances, some use comforts and amenities, some try to keep very busy or use different forms of distractions, i used freedom and being unattached. i was always very productive, always writing and amassing a body of work about what i was learning while workin labor type jobs. now, i guess joining this forum is an attempt to alleviate the anxiety that comes with trying to re-enter a more "normal" lifestyle. i guess it's dual purposed creating an outlet for the thoughts and ideas that go through the philosophical type mind while also offering a social connection with others who share the same need. i thank you very much and i won't bore you with anymore of my self-absorbtion. instead i'll try to jump into some of the forums available.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » just introducin myself...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/19/2024 at 09:52:51