What is human nature?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:57 pm
The human genome has been mapped, and the human species can be distinguished from others by anatomy and physiology. I am interested in discussing HUMAN NATURE in terms of what we do and how we act. There are certain such characteristics that we share with other mammals, and more specific behavioral characteristics that we share with other primates. Some of those are certainly relevant to the question, "What is Human Nature?" There are also certain characteristics - ways of acting and interacting with each other and with the world - that we might say that all (or most) humans share with each other, but that makes humans unique on the earth.
So take a look at yourself, at the people around you, and at the stories that you hear and read of other people. Then share what observations you have on what is human nature.

hue-man

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2011 08:07 pm
@1CellOfMany,
I you're really interested in this subject, I suggest that you read On Human Nature by E.O. Wilson and The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History by Howard Bloom.

Neil D

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2011 08:54 am
I do ponder this from time to time, enough so that I created a saying with respect to it that goes like this: Since no thing defines its own creation, it cannot be held responsible for it's nature.

I created that because I feel that humans are not entirely resposible for their actions, because actions are derived from nature, and nature is beyond our control, although actions(choices) are not.

It makes me wonder why human nature causes so much suffering, and why evil(subjective) must exist as part of human nature. I conclude that human nature is of divine origin, and must exist in the diverse spectrum it does, but understanding is somewhat beyond me. Or that it is just a random thing.

I makes me also question the nature of a God, if one does exist. Since it would be the creator of human nature, and therfore responsible for it, and God would know why it needs to exist in the manner it does. In the realm of true human nature it seems that good carries no more weight than evil. Everything seems pretty much balanced out.

Many people must keep their true nature hidden from society, because society has a different idea as to how humans should think and feel. Some would say that is becuase what God wants us to do. But if God exists, then he created all this, and is therefore responsible.

Neil

hamilton

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:46 pm
I believe that human nature is to survive and copulate, a feature found in almost all beings, both sentient and otherwise. after all, why else would we gain pleasure from sex, besides that we are supposed to do it? it is in the subconscious need to ensure the survival of our race that is our nature.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:45:52