Poseidon

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:55 pm
Hi,

I think I have some new ideas which I would like to express; I did quite well in academic philosophy, until the head of the department told me 'You make me cross! Whatever you write in the exam, I'm going to fail you!'. At which point I dropped his course, entitled 'Human Rights'.

But I never lost my love for philosophy. I am currently reading Descartes' "Discourse on Method, and The Meditiations", some 14 years after reading it in Phil201. Easily my favourite. I am a Christian Positivist, and I live on the Southern tip of Africa, which has the most beautiful climate and lifestyle in the world.

;-j

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
@Poseidon,
The Department Head actually said that!? Wow, what a meanie.

Have fun here!

Poseidon

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:02 pm
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita wrote:
The Department Head actually said that!? Wow, what a meanie.

Have fun here!

Yes he did, and worse besides! I'd love to mention him by name, but I have a politeness 'gene' 'programmed' into me.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:19 pm
@Poseidon,
Welcome to the forums.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 07:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
An open letter to Poseidon,

I am none too pleased by your treatment of Odysseus. How dare you, sir. How dare you. Just because you rule the whole of the ocean doesn't mean you need to take one of the hero of Troy's blasphemous rants too seriously. He built a giant horse out of old ships for God's sake. LOL!

Funny thing, I have picked up meditations a few weeks ago to refresh myself. I would love to discuss it with you. I've been keen to discuss the division in content of meditation one between the dream argument and the Malign genius argument. I think there is a very drastic turn after the reference to concrete primary substances and mathematical/geometrical truths. Like a separation in the single argument towards universal doubt.

But still, welcome!

Poseidon

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:12 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
I will get back to you on this, as I am still reading the discourse on method, and must still arrive at the meditations.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/19/2024 at 07:07:19