Brief Reflections on Heraclitus

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:14 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159768 wrote:
You will find that past a certain point, it splits into the Blue and the White Nile. Also when it enters the delta near the Mediterranean coast, it splits into innumerable rivulets. It is also know by different names by different tribal groups.

So which is the real Nile?

The one that Cleopatra sailed up, and the one on which Nelson won one of his great victories. That one. Is there more than one river named, the Nile?

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:40 am
@qualia,
I think again there is a challenge here to understand the meaning of Heraclitus, who not for nothing was called 'the riddler' and 'the obscure'. He is speaking in metaphors, and also saying something about the limitations of human logic. For to say that something both is, and is not, is a direct challenge to what come to be known as the laws of thought, which rely on the fact that something either is, or is not. Hence, 'the riddler'.

The aim of the philosopher was to understand the principles which underlie all existence. Talking some poetic license: people take for granted the solidity and reality of their day-to-day existence, as if what they know today will obtain tomorrow, and what they have today will endure. But experience teaches as that a great deal of what we know and possess is transitory. Death devours all. The aim is to find that which is enduring, beyond the opinions and fixations of the common folk, beyond ephemera. Whereas the Platonic cosmology projected this into the idealized 'changeless superlunary realm', Heraclitus sought it in the midst of the great flux of nature.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:46 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;159840 wrote:
I think again there is a challenge here to understand the meaning of Heraclitus, who not for nothing was called 'the riddler' and 'the obscure'. He is speaking in metaphors, and also saying something about the limitations of human logic. For to say that something both is, and is not, is a direct challenge to what come to be known as the laws of thought, which rely on the fact that something either is, or is not. Hence, 'the riddler'.

The aim of the philosopher was to understand the principles which underlie all existence. Talking some poetic license: people take for granted the solidity and reality of their day-to-day existence, as if what they know today will obtain tomorrow, and what they have today will endure. But experience teaches as that a great deal of what we know and possess is transitory. Death devours all. The aim is to find that which is enduring, beyond the opinions and fixations of the common folk, beyond ephemera. Whereas the Platonic cosmology projected this into the idealized 'changeless superlunary realm', Heraclitus sought it in the midst of the great flux of nature.

But I was talking about the Heraclitean proposition, "You cannot step into the same river twice", and not about what Heraclitus meant or did not mean by that proposition. We should not mix up the two. If I say that chickens lay eggs I may mean something like, "Remember, there are obvious truths in the world", but that is not what the sentence, "Chickens lay eggs" means.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:50:49