John Locke

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » John Locke
  3. » John Locke

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Di Wu

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2007 07:25 pm
Jocke argued that words are ideas. The the use of words are explicitly linked with the workings of the Mind. In today's modern world of SMS and internet language does this theory still ring true?

boagie

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 12:28 pm
@Di Wu,
Di Wu wrote:
Jocke argued that words are ideas. The the use of words are explicitly linked with the workings of the Mind. In today's modern world of SMS and internet language does this theory still ring true?

Di Wu,Smile

All words are qualifications and/or limitations if the computer language delievers these said bits of information I would say it is doing the job.So yes, Locks statement would hold true.

gnosis

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:50 pm
@boagie,
well computers, both in thier mathmatical eqations and new type lingo are a refelctio of ourselves, arent they?

Justin

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:04 pm
@Di Wu,
I would also agree with Locke on this point. First is the idea or thought, then the words... sometimes however it happens so fast. This theory would ring true in my mind. Ideas and thoughts are energy and that energy is cast out into words and produces waves of energy again to return to the source of that energy. Whether typed in words or spoken, it's still energy.... am I on track?

gnosis

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:10 pm
@Justin,
haha not as off track as i am probibly...but words are just repersentations of what our sences percieve...i believe they are electro synapisis in the brain, my bad for the incorrect spelling of synapsis, but words are an object like anyother thing we percieve

Justin

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:25 pm
@Di Wu,
hmm... consider this... words being the verbal or written manifestation of our thoughts. Does that make sense?

Di Wu

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:41 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Di Wu,Smile

All words are qualifications and/or limitations if the computer language delievers these said bits of information I would say it is doing the job.So yes, Locks statement would hold true.

Well the abbreviations of the computer language today (omg, lol) and the horrid abuse of the English language in the realm of SMS messaging seem to be to symptomatic of the condition of the modern mind; its laziness and a tendency towards taking short cuts, less thinking. Less power to the mind. Locke and others (S. Johnson) would be rolling in their graves~!

Di Wu

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
hmm... consider this... words being the verbal or written manifestation of our thoughts. Does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense. Locke himself said that Words are simply signifiers of Ideas. Words are the ONLY tools we have to get invisible thoughts (aka ideas) into an objectified 'flesh' form.

Aristoddler

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 03:24 pm
@Di Wu,
Words are tools to express ideas, not ideas themselves.

They are also not the only tools we can use to express ideas, but merely the most efficient tools we have.
As an artist, I use pencil and ink on a regular basis to convey messages and ideas without words. My wife is a musician, and uses a piano to convey emotions without words. Effective tools, but not as efficient as words.

The difference between words and art, is that art is not hindered by language.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » John Locke
  3. » John Locke
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:29:20