What is cebes objection and how does Socrates respond to it... help?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Socrates
  3. » What is cebes objection and how does Socrates respond to it... help?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:43 pm
ive been trying to understand this for hours and cant get it at alll!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:40 am
@Jessica phil,
I can try to help you with that. At what point do you not understand it? The transmigration of the soul??? Socrates' rationalization of the concept???

Jessica phil

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:29 am
@VideCorSpoon,
i know he was at student of socrates, and is a stonic and speak to socrates before death. but i just dont understand what opject is.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:49 am
@Jessica phil,
Is it the actual context of the text that you don't understand?

I'm not quite sure what object you're looking for?

Jessica phil

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 01:52 pm
@Jessica phil,
what exaclty is cebes objection was in the story and how does Socrates respond to it, i just dont understand how you can answer this question from the book

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 03:23 pm
@Jessica phil,

Let me say this. First, put Phaedo in context. This could be encapsulated in the overall question "what is the meaning of death?" Socrates is explaining (for our purposes) his position on the question of an afterlife. Socrates thinks, after much translation and rereading of the text, that the physical body is a hindrance, that it is something we have to live with while we exist in the material world. Thus the real world is "immaterial" to Socrates. Our life if lived well moves us closer to reality. But our embodied life means nothing.

Cebes' objection is, simply put, that he refutes Socrates concept of a transmigrating soul (think Buddhists and their conception of the soul and reincarnation) that is, that the soul (the republic conception of it) keeps all of its memories and knowledge enroute.

This what I remember at any rate.

What class is this for, because the class can sometimes give you a hint as to what aspect you should evaluate a question under.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Socrates
  3. » What is cebes objection and how does Socrates respond to it... help?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:30:30