Plotinus

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

prothero

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 12:32 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170696 wrote:
OK then you're right! Shows how far I got arguing on the basis of the first 3 pages of my newly-acquired text.
Oh, I am not aiming to be right. I had to look it up myself. I just sort of see Plotinus as a more mystical and religious version of Plato. My religious inclinations run very much in the Platonic and for moderns the Whitehead and Hartshorne versions of process theology. I am just trying to keep something going on Plotinus so I will be motivated to learn more.:bigsmile:

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 01:42 am
@Fairbanks,
I first encountered Plotinus in the foreword to The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation, edited by W. Y. Evans-Wentz. Evans-Wentz' translations were very popular in the 60's although they are not held in very high regard in the current academic tradition. Anyway, Evans-Wentz believed (probably incorrectly) that Plotinus had actually travelled as far as India to interrogate the Indian sages. (Later opinion believes he made it only part way when Alexander suffered a military reversal and he had to return to the West.) In any case, there are many convergences between Plotinus and the Indian Wisdom schools. And also Plotinus had a huge influence on the philosophical outlook of Augustine. So he represents the school of perennial wisdom in the Western traditions. I am determined to improve my knowledge of him.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:02 am
@prothero,
prothero;170687 wrote:
It is true that the via negativa (neti, neti) is stated to be the best approach to the one, which is beyond all categories of being or non being, self awareness, sentinence or any other category. The world proceeds from the one by inevitable emmanation not through any act of willful creation. Non the less the first emmanation from the one is the nous (intelligence, logos, order, reason) similar to the Demiurge of Plato and the origin of the forms or ideals which the world tries imperfectly to actualize.

This all clicks for me. But of course that may well be an idiosyncratic misunderstanding on my part. How does one know what an author himself meant? How does one know one knows?

I smell the negative one at the core there. (The nose knows!) And the positive one is a cookie cut by the negative one perhaps, which is something like the pure negation that carves out form? The tao offers something like this. The one proceeds from the Tao, and the 2 from the 1.

My approach might not appeal to others, but I think that pure number ties directly into this. In nature, no two things are identical, and yet 1 = 1 with perfect precision. In nature, no object is perfectly separate, and yet we imagine perfect separateness all the time. A dollar is conceived of as perfectly discrete. And of course it's fiat currency so this is true, until the bank has to deal with fractions of pennies.

However, Plotinus could easily be interpreted in a more radical way. I see that. Perhaps my focus on quantification as the heart of concept is reductive. I mention, though, because it clicks in the old noggin...Smile

I swear I am sober....

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 03:04 AM ----------

jeeprs;170242 wrote:
Mind you in classical cultures, faithfully representing tradition was held in far higher esteem than innovation.

I see the value in this. To deny their vanity and keep to the heart of it. To cherish the flame and not the candle...

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:11 am
@Fairbanks,
The only way to understand the way of negation is by sitting meditation, which is the practice of negation.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:14 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170716 wrote:
The only way to understand the way of negation is by sitting meditation, which is the practice of negation.

That too sounds promising!:shifty:

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 03:17 AM ----------

But let me say this. I propose that the one is unavoidable in human discourse, that human discourse is shaped by quantity. That quantity is an unalienable property of concept. So even if an emotional experience transcends/neglects quantity, language or thought cannot do so.

I feel you on the urge toward practice. Indeed, concept is finite. Essentially finite. Not that I can speak for your experience, but I can only understand yours in terms of my own. You know how it be.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:22 am
@Fairbanks,
Well that didn't work. Hit the gong after you had responded. But the point about meditation is that it engages much deeper aspects of your being than the cerebellum. That is what all the old-school spiritual philosophies are like, Western and Eastern. Plotinus in particular.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 02:48 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170722 wrote:
Well that didn't work. Hit the gong after you had responded. But the point about meditation is that it engages much deeper aspects of your being than the cerebellum. That is what all the old-school spiritual philosophies are like, Western and Eastern. Plotinus in particular.

It was a gong, and not a bong, right? You seem especially direct tonight. I don't expect an affirmative answer. Just playing...Smile

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 03:49 AM ----------

jeeprs;170722 wrote:
But the point about meditation is that it engages much deeper aspects of your being than the cerebellum. That is what all the old-school spiritual philosophies are like, Western and Eastern. Plotinus in particular.

I respect that, even though I'm not experienced. I should try it, though. Of course I have shifted a little away from the concept. Hence "ineffable," etc.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:00 am
@Fairbanks,
What I had to learn was the practice of actual spiritual work. This is what comes about through meditation. It is hard labour, as anyone who has ever done it will testify. But the thing is that by doing it, you activate certain capacities which otherwise will remain dormant. These faculties have power, they actually effect change. I don't know what they word is for it, but it has 'spiritual potency'.

Now this is an ongoing commitment for me, I am only part way through it and am by no means a master of it. But it is a skill and a different mode of cognition. Once it does its work, the results stay with you always.

Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:09 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170709 wrote:
I first encountered Plotinus in the foreword to The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation, edited by W. Y. Evans-Wentz. Evans-Wentz' translations were very popular in the 60's although they are not held in very high regard in the current academic tradition. Anyway, Evans-Wentz believed (probably incorrectly) that Plotinus had actually travelled as far as India to interrogate the Indian sages. (Later opinion believes he made it only part way when Alexander suffered a military reversal and he had to return to the West.) In any case, there are many convergences between Plotinus and the Indian Wisdom schools. And also Plotinus had a huge influence on the philosophical outlook of Augustine. So he represents the school of perennial wisdom in the Western traditions. I am determined to improve my knowledge of him.

I was fascinated by this story:
A question - "Minds Eye" | Google Groups
I haven't a clue what it means, or whether there could even conceivably be any historical truth in it (I can't quite imagine old Pythagoras using the word 'existential', unless the Greeks had a word for it ...), but it's a good story.

(Minds Eye, by the way, is the philosophy forum I tried to join before coming here. I got a complete mauling by two aggressive atheists in the sub-Dawkins mould, and the matter wasn't handled at at well, so I wouldn't recommend the forum, but there was some interesting stuff there.)

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 12:18 PM ----------

jeeprs;170716 wrote:

Dare I suggest, at the risk of sounding like a whiny brat, that a second way is to experience a depressive breakdown? It's involuntary, of course, and not at all to be recommended, but it may still have true lessons to teach. I think the next lesson will then not be more negation (or rather, it cannot only be more negation, although there is still an ego to be put in its place), but a form of assertion. So it's a quite different route to what might be the same goal. Excuse my noisy intrusion ...

(It's an unusually noisy intrusion even for me, but I'm unnerved by being reminded of Minds Eye, where there was an aggressive focus on my personality, and a neglect of objective points I was trying to make. However, if you can set aside the embarrassingly personal tone I'm striking here, I think there are objective points to be made about the way that recommendations for meditative practice tend to address themselves to someone in a 'normal' frame of mind; and I think that modifications surely need to be made for someone who is not 'normal'. This is somewhat ironic, given that the aim of such practices is to transcend or undermine that 'normal' frame of mind in the first place! I am even suggesting that some advantage could even be taken of whatever has already undermined and destablised the normal state - if not transcended it - rather than the absence of 'normality' continuing to be taken as a mere defect, devoid of spiritual significance.)

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:40 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;170767 wrote:
I was fascinated by this story:
A question - "Minds Eye" | Google Groups
I haven't a clue what it means, or whether there could even conceivably be any historical truth in it (I can't quite imagine old Pythagoras using the word 'existential', unless the Greeks had a word for it ...), but it's a good story.

That story sounds apocryphal, in that those kinds of details are not known about Pythagoras' life. It is said in the legends that he went to all the various wisdom schools, and it may indeed be the kind of thing that happened, but I would take it awith a grain of salt. I currently have the Pythagorean Sourcebook out of the library, comprising virtually all the fragments about Pythagoras, and that is not in there. (Also, note, the attribution to Osho, I am leary of anything Osho....)

Twirlip;170767 wrote:
Dare I suggest, at the risk of sounding like a whiny brat, that a second way is to experience a depressive breakdown? It's involuntary, of course, and not at all to be recommended, but it may still have true lessons to teach. I think the next lesson will then not be more negation (or rather, it cannot only be more negation, although there is still an ego to be put in its place), but a form of assertion. So it's a quite different route to what might be the same goal. Excuse my noisy intrusion ...

But I don't know if it is the same. This term 'negation' in connection with apophatic mysticism, is actually quite a specific understanding. It is quite exact but very hard to express verbally or literally, for obvious reasons (not called 'mystical' for nothing.)

I do know, in fact have previously mentioned, the idea of the Dark Night of the Soul, but that is a different matter - it is something which does occur in the course of spiritual work.

As for the way of negation, I have no idea where one would go to learn it, it just happened to fall into place in my case. But I do know some readings about it....which reminds me, did you get hold of Mysticism East and West? that should have some pointers in it....

Twirlip

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 05:59 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170779 wrote:
That story sounds apocryphal, in that those kinds of details are not known about Pythagoras' life. It is said in the legends that he went to all the various wisdom schools, and it may indeed be the kind of thing that happened, but I would take it awith a grain of salt. I currently have the Pythagorean Sourcebook out of the library, comprising virtually all the fragments about Pythagoras, and that is not in there. (Also, note, the attribution to Osho, I am leary of anything Osho....)

Yes, I thought that very little was known about Pythagoras, as keeps being mentioned in histories of mathematics. But as I said, it's a nice story, even if perhaps more intriguing to one who has only two eyes than to one who actually knows something about the third! (I have no idea who Osho is - if I looked the name up at the time, I must have forgotten whatever I found.)
jeeprs;170779 wrote:
But I don't know if it is the same. This term 'negation' in connection with apophatic mysticism, is actually quite a specific understanding. It is quite exact but very hard to express verbally or literally, for obvious reasons (not called 'mystical' for nothing.)

I do know, in fact have previously mentioned, the idea of the Dark Night of the Soul, but that is a different matter - it is something which does occur in the course of spiritual work.

As far as I know, the "dark night" is something that comes to those who are already advanced in mystical work, and so it cannot be the same as an ordinary depression that comes to an ordinary person; still, that does not mean that ordinary depression is without spiritual significance.

I was aware that I might seem to be confusing two quite different things, so I added a paragraph to my article in editing, but you had already replied. (My fault, of course - this editing facility can be a nuisance.)
jeeprs;170779 wrote:

As for the way of negation, I have no idea where one would go to learn it, it just happened to fall into place in my case. But I do know some readings about it....which reminds me, did you get hold of Mysticism East and West? that should have some pointers in it....

Yes, I got the book, and read the first chapter or so, but it wasn't saying much to me, although Eckhart's mysterious words about "God's day" and "the soul's day" (am I remembering that right? - I've put the book away somewhere) did later have an astonishingly deep resonance, quite beyond my understanding, in view of how little they had seemed to mean when I read them.

(Are we talking about the same book? I assume you mean the one you recommended to me, which is Suzuki, Mysticism: Christian and Buddhist.)
(You might perhaps be thinking also of Alan Watts, Psychotherapy East and West, which I have packed away in a box somewhere.)

salima

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 09:14 am
@Fairbanks,
butting in again, excuse me...

i believe there is a theory that psychotic episodes can be spiritual awakenings, and it sounds likely to me. i can recall that prior to my own one accidental samadhi there was a period of about two weeks where i was totally on the verge of a breakdown, stayed in bed the whole day and night with the covers over my head etc. i only got up when my husband went to work to listen to music. i had absolutely no knowledge of spiritual training or meditation or philosophy, but i believe it led me into a dark night of the soul and then wham! everything changed forever.

how's that for being embarrassingly personal?

also, i consider mysticism to be the highest form of spirituality and at that level all religions and philosophies dissolve into the same one experience or gnosis...that is what i loved about plotinus, i could tell he was one of those...one of us i mean...it is the same in america or india, impossible not to recognize.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 03:32 pm
@Fairbanks,
I was referring to the Suzuki book, Mysticism East and West. I found it pretty good when I read it, but it was a long while ago. I read many Suzuki books, and most of Alan Watts too, while at uni....not that any of them were on the curriculum. And the Blakeny edition of The Sermons of Meister Eckhardt. As Salima says, those types of teachings are the best.

One of my 'dharma brothers' here in Sydney has just submitted a PhD thesis at the University of Sydney on treatment of bi-polar disorder with mindfulness meditation.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 04:05 pm
@salima,
salima;170834 wrote:

also, i consider mysticism to be the highest form of spirituality and at that level all religions and philosophies dissolve into the same one experience or gnosis...that is what i loved about plotinus, i could tell he was one of those...one of us i mean...it is the same in america or india, impossible not to recognize.

beautiful. thanks for sharing this! and i agree about the dark night of the soul. the purifying fire.

Mad Mike

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:38 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170239 wrote:
OK I have a question about Plotinus. I have finally bought an edition of the Enneads (Stephen McKenna and B S Page, 2009) having previously read a number of passages and articles about Plotinus.

In the First Ennead, First Tractate, The Animate and Man, there is this passage:

Quote:
And how could the Soul lend itself to any admixture? An essential is not mixed. Or the intrusion of anything alien? If it did, it would be seeking the destruction of its own nature. Pain must be equally far from it. And Grief - how or for what could it grieve? Whatever possesses Existence is supremely free, dwelling unchangeable, within its own peculiar nature. And can any increase bring joy, where nothing, not even anything good, can accrue? What such an Existent is, is unchangeable.

Now the question I have is: does anyone know the Greek words which were translated as 'existence' and 'existent' in this passage?

---------- Post added 05-29-2010 at 12:49 PM ----------

The reason is that, whatever word was translated, I think the import of the word is 'being' rather than 'existence', and I think this is significant.

Before I give you the Greek, let me give you A.H. Armstrong's translation of the same passage:

Quote:
And how could it admit of mixture? Substantial being is unmixed. How could there be any sort of addition? If there was, it would be hastening to be no more what it is. Pain is far from it, too; and how could it feel sad, and what about? For that which is essentially simple is sufficient for itself, inasmuch as it stays set in its own essential nature. And will it be pleased at any increase, when nothing, not even any good, can accrue to it? It is always what it is.

Big differences, as you can see. In the first bolded sentence, the Greek word in question is ούσιας, one of those pesky ones that doesn't translate directly into English. It's rendered sometimes as "substance," sometimes as "essence" and yes, sometimes as "being." McKenna takes it here as "being," but Armstrong is reading it as "essence." Note also how McKenna's "An essential is not mixed" becomes "Substantial being is unmixed" for Armstrong. That's different readings of ούσιας again, essence vs. substance.

In the second bolded sentence, the Greek literally says something like "And what it is, it always is." The "is" is just an inflected form of the verb "to be."

The McKenna/Page translation has some advantages, the main one being the fact that it's in the public domain and so can be downloaded for free. However, it has some disadvantages: McKenna was an amateur philologist and philosopher, though a dedicated one, and he didn't have a modern critical edition of the Greek text to work with.

The Armstrong translation also has pluses and minuses. The biggest pluses are that Armstrong is a widely recognized expert in late Classical philosophy and did have a modern critical edition to work from, and that Greek text is in fact included in the translation on facing pages.

The biggest disadvantage is that it's only available in a seven-volume edition in the Loeb Classical Library from Harvard University Press. I ended up paying about $150 for the complete set by using my Barnes and Noble member's discount card, which to me is a fairly significant investment.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:45 pm
@Fairbanks,
Quote:

And how could it admit of mixture? Substantial being is unmixed. How could there be any sort of addition? If there was, it would be hastening to be no more what it is. Pain is far from it, too; and how could it feel sad, and what about? For that which is essentially simple is sufficient for itself, inasmuch as it stays set in its own essential nature. And will it be pleased at any increase, when nothing, not even any good, can accrue to it? It is always what it is.
I think this is crucial, and that we think in terms of unities. What is the unity of unities? What is the absolute perfectly simple concept? Can it be named? Or does any name complicate its utter simplicity?

jeeprs

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:52 pm
@Fairbanks,
Thanks Mike - and welcome to the forum!

It is just as I suspected. I think this edition I have is pretty poor quality, while that passage you have supplied speaks volumes to me.

I am contemplating the idea that what is, and what exists, are not strictly speaking the same, even though they appear to intermingle. Reality is realised, existence is experienced. Do you think that is more in accordance with Plotinus intention?

Mad Mike

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:25 pm
@jeeprs,
Reconstructo;172349 wrote:
I think this is crucial, and that we think in terms of unities. What is the unity of unities? What is the absolute perfectly simple concept? Can it be named? Or does any name complicate its utter simplicity?

The passage in question is in a discussion of soul, which Plotinus sees (in the terms set out in Plato's Parmenides) as one-and-many. Nous (intellect or spirit, depending on the translator) is one-many. And of course the One is simply one and, yes, the "unity of unities," though Plotinus does repeatedly emphasize that no name or description for it is adequate.

jeeprs;172352 wrote:
I am contemplating the idea that what is, and what exists, are not strictly speaking the same, even though they appear to intermingle. Reality is realised, existence is experienced. Do you think that is more in accordance with Plotinus intention?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're looking for something like the three "modes" of being that Proclus made prominent, though they're there in Plotinus. I don't remember the exact terminology right now (it's past my bedtime), but an example would be thinker, thinking and thought as three modes of being in Intellect: the subject who thinks, the act of thinking and the product or object of the act. Of course, in Intellect (Nous), they aren't really separate, it's just that our discursive and time-bound minds grasp them more easily that way.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:22 pm
@Mad Mike,
Mad Mike;172355 wrote:
The passage in question is in a discussion of soul, which Plotinus sees (in the terms set out in Plato's Parmenides) as one-and-many. Nous (intellect or spirit, depending on the translator) is one-many. And of course the One is simply one and, yes, the "unity of unities," though Plotinus does repeatedly emphasize that no name or description for it is adequate.

Excellent. Do you think this relates to Plato's Form of the Good? Or to something like the Form of Forms? Is it conceptual but no particular concept, or do you interpret it as something non-conceptual? Or a fusion of some sort?
Thanks for that reply. This is a great subject...I did read some Plotinus once, but it's been a while..Smile

---------- Post added 06-02-2010 at 11:24 PM ----------

Mad Mike;172355 wrote:
Of course, in Intellect (Nous), they aren't really separate, it's just that our discursive and time-bound minds grasp them more easily that way.

Is Nous anything like a Form of Form, in your opinion? Is Nous a synonym of concept? Or something beyond this?

---------- Post added 06-02-2010 at 11:25 PM ----------

Twirlip;170787 wrote:

As far as I know, the "dark night" is something that comes to those who are already advanced in mystical work, and so it cannot be the same as an ordinary depression that comes to an ordinary person; still, that does not mean that ordinary depression is without spiritual significance.

Maybe part of the darkness of this night is that it doesn't feel spiritually meaningful. Perhaps that's its essence, that all meaning is mocked, that the intense suffering involved is utterly profitless, and this only adds to the suffering, completes the suffering......

jeeprs

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:33 pm
@Fairbanks,
'Nous' is much more like 'intellect' than 'concept' But the meaning of intellect is very different in ancient and modern philosophy. I was reading in Hadot's brief work on Plotinus that he was able to maintain his contemplation of the Ideas even while engaged in conversation with students about other matters. Nous is at once the active intellect in the individual, but also the divine intelligence behind all creation. More than a passing resemblance to Advaita Vedanta.

Quote:
But even as the one precedes and is distinguished from beings, it serves as their source. "The One is all things and not a single one of them: for the Source of all is not all things; yet It is all things, for they all, so to speak run back to It: or rather, in It they are not yet but will be....In order that being may exist, the One is not being but the Generator of being....The One, perfect because It seeks nothing, has nothing, and needs nothing overflows as it were, and Its superabundance makes something other than Itself" (Armstrong, 51). Plotinus argues that the Hypostasai comes into being because "the One, perfect because It seeks nothing, has nothing and needs nothing, overflows, as it were, and Its superabundance makes something other than Itself. Its halt and turning towards the One constitutes being, its gaze upon the One, Nous. Since it halts and turns towards the One that it may see, it becomes at once Nous and being. Resembling the One thus Nous produces in the same way, pouring forth a multiple power. Just as That, Which was before it, poured forth its likeness, so what Nous produces is a likeness of itself. This activity springing from being is Soul, which comes into being while Nous abides unchanged: for as a necessary consequence of its own existence: and the whole order of things is eternal: the lower world of becoming was not created at a particular moment but its eternally being generted: it is always there as a whole, and particular things in it only perish so that others may come into being" (Enneads, V.2.1).

Source: plotinus

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:52:51