Tsamaya..from South Africa

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Tsamaya..from South Africa

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Tsamaya

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:19 am
Hi, everyone. I'm new here and hope to learn from those who are more knowledgeable than me on various topics.

Maybe we should start here: What was Jefferson's "wall of separation between church and state" supposed to address? Why did Jefferson write about it, and what did he mean by it?

Justin

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:35 am
@Tsamaya,
Warm welcome to you Tsamaya! Thanks for the introduction. If you'd like to start a topic on Jefferson's wall of separation, please start a new thread as this is new member introduction forum only and not for threaded discussion. Enjoy the community!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 10:43 am
@Justin,
Welcome Tsamaya!

Jefferson's "wall of separation" is supposed to address the underline issue of the complete separation of religious matters (which Jefferson thought was deeply personal) and Governmental forces (which he thought should have no say in private affairs.) Jefferson was very revolutionary and got some bad slack for that thought. But without that caveat... the establishment clause would have perhaps not have been included in the U.S. constitution. Basically, without the "wall of separation" clause, it would be like the government legally telling you what and how to worship.

But please do start a separate thread on the topic in the philosophy of politics section. There is a lot of information on the subject I think you would find it very fascinating and the historical instances that substantiated Jefferson's thoughts interesting as well.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:23 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Hey, welcome to the forums!

I'm a total Jefferson junkie - get a thread started; I look forward to the conversation.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Tsamaya..from South Africa
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/19/2024 at 07:05:03