Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein's Denkbewegungen

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ludwig Wittgenstein
  3. » Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein's Denkbewegungen

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 03:31 am
This page here: Ideas In History - Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard on the ethico-religious

Has me interested in acquiring an English translation of Wittgenstein's Denkbewegungen. Is there an English translation at all?

That Wittgenstein of all people outlined a Kierkegaardian inspired existential philosophy is very interesting to me, and I'd like to see how he develops it.

RDanneskjld

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:49 am
@Victor Eremita,
Yes, there is an English translation of Denkbwegungen. Though it's not named that when translated into English, and I know that it is contained within Ludwig Wittgenstein: Public and Private Occasions: James C. Klagge, Alfred Nordmann: Amazon.co.uk: Books, as Movements of Thought: Diaries, 1930-1932, 1936-1937.

I dont believe that Denkbewegunen is available as a stand alone book in English as it is in German. Hope that is some help!

Victor Eremita

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 03:18 am
@Victor Eremita,
Thanks for the tip. Is that what Denkbwegungen literally translates to, public and private occasions?

RDanneskjld

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 03:25 am
@Victor Eremita,
I believe the literal translation of Denkebeweungen to English is something like Thought Movements, but the book Public and Private occasions is a collection of items about Wittgenstein both relating to his private life and public life. And it includes the particular diaries that are contained in Denkbewegunen.

RDanneskjld

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 09:40 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor, I remember that you are a huge Kierkegaard fanboy and you expressed an interest in Wittgenstein in relation to Kierkegarrd, it has come to my attention that in fact one of my lecturer's has written a book on the very subject. A confusion of the spheres: Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein on philosophy and religion, Oxford, UK, Oxford University Press, 224pp.

Victor Eremita

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 03:44 am
@RDanneskjld,
Cool, thanks for the tip! Have you read the book or listened to lectures on the subject by the author? If so, what did you think about it?

Oh by the way I took a look at Public and Private Occasions, and I liked the parts where Wittgenstein discusses Kierkegaard's philosophy; if only the climate was right, Wittgenstein would've made a great Kierkegaardian expositor:

Ludwig Wittgenstein; Public and Private Occasions; early 1930s wrote:

My conscience plagues me and won't let me work. I have been reading in the works of Kierkegaard and that unsettled me even more than I already was. I don't want to suffer; that is what unsettles me. ... One imagines eternity of reward or of punishment, but one could imagine it as an instant, for in an instant once can experience all terror & all bliss. If you want to imagine hell you don't need to think of unending torment. I would rather say: Do you know what unspeakable dread a human being is capable of? Think of that & and you know what hell is... The abyss of hopelessness cannot show itself in life, for where there is life, there is hope.

RDanneskjld

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 05:41 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;93256 wrote:
Cool, thanks for the tip! Have you read the book or listened to lectures on the subject by the author? If so, what did you think about it?

I havent had any lectures on the subject by her, but I have read some of her work on Wittgenstein and she seems to know her stuff. I also have the book I mentioned in Pdf form, but I havent taken a proper look at it yet.

Antoine Roquenti

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 08:45 am
@Victor Eremita,
A bit offtopic but still it isn't.
Victor, I reckon you know about Kierkegaard: Construction of the Aesthetic by Adorno..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ludwig Wittgenstein
  3. » Kierkegaard and Wittgenstein's Denkbewegungen
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:54:21