1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Mythology
  3. » Poetic Edda

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:01 pm

Deckard

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 01:31 am
@Jeremy phil,
Sure, I'm game. Go ahead and post them stanzas.

Jeremy phil

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:25 pm
@Deckard,
Ok, first off all I use the bellows translation it can be found here
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/poe04.htm

One of the stanzas I dedicate some thought too is

135. I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
Curse not thy guest, | nor show him thy gate,
Deal well with a man in want

Knowing that this was transcribed long before worldwide travel and mass communication were around, I find myself wondering if this can also have applications not only for guests of your house but people you meet in everyday life, for instance, newcomers to your place of work, or internet forums you frequent.

In case anyone was wondering I do not imply this forum is not hospitable to newcomers, it has in fact been quite the opposite. But in my observations there allot of people you meet on the internet who are quite the elitist.

As human circles have grown vast and far reaching outside there personal homes, has the hospitality mentioned in old mythology outlived its purpose?

Deckard

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 11:09 pm
@Jeremy phil,
Jeremy;165034 wrote:
Ok, first off all I use the bellows translation it can be found here
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/poe/poe04.htm

One of the stanzas I dedicate some thought too is

135. I rede thee, Loddfafnir! | and hear thou my rede,--
Profit thou hast if thou hearest,
Great thy gain if thou learnest:
Curse not thy guest, | nor show him thy gate,
Deal well with a man in want

Knowing that this was transcribed long before worldwide travel and mass communication were around, I find myself wondering if this can also have applications not only for guests of your house but people you meet in everyday life, for instance, newcomers to your place of work, or internet forums you frequent.

In case anyone was wondering I do not imply this forum is not hospitable to newcomers, it has in fact been quite the opposite. But in my observations there allot of people you meet on the internet who are quite the elitist.

As human circles have grown vast and far reaching outside there personal homes, has the hospitality mentioned in old mythology outlived its purpose?

Sorry it took me so long to respond. The Old English or whatever that is intimidated me a bit. What does "and hear thou my rede" mean?

Zues was the god of travelers and sometimes it was said that he pretended to be a mortal seeking shelter and put the hospitality of a town or a household to the test. There is also the idea of entertaining angels unawares.

This is Odin's advice to Loddfafnir (right?). It's interesting that it is given as proverbs rather than commandments.

For most of us in today's world hospitality is bought and sold and thus it is no longer hospitality. The traveler doesn't pay for hospitality and the town or household doesn't offer it only at a price. There is customer service and there is the hospitality industry but there is no hospitality anymore or else it is very rare. The disappearance of hospitality happened long before the internet came into being.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Mythology
  3. » Poetic Edda
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:05:49