Myths and Christianity

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Hi My Name Is

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:45 am
@Twistedgypsychil,
Has anybody mentioned the Da Vinci Code yet? Although all information in this book is true except for the characters and the immediate plot, the Da Vinci Code has a rather fictional feeling to it....this is an interesting twist as the main characters, Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu explore in the world of symbology while running away from the DCPJ.

xris

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 01:18 pm
@Hi My Name Is,
Hi! My Name Is:;117315 wrote:
Has anybody mentioned the Da Vinci Code yet? Although all information in this book is true except for the characters and the immediate plot, the Da Vinci Code has a rather fictional feeling to it....this is an interesting twist as the main characters, Robert Langdon and Sophie Neveu explore in the world of symbology while running away from the DCPJ.
I think you will find 90% of it is false.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:26 pm
@Twistedgypsychil,
Yeah I'm with Xris. There are some exposes around which show that up. Besides most of the main ideas were lifted out of a much older book called Holy Blood Holy Grail - the authors sued Brown for plagiarism, but lost. But it is probably about as real as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2010 08:51 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;89281 wrote:
This was Joseph Campbell's key idea of what myths are supposed to do . . . to teach us how to live as decent human beings.

Myths do a piss-poor job of teaching people to live as decent human beings.

Emil

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 04:26 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;118119 wrote:
Myths do a piss-poor job of teaching people to live as decent human beings.

Elisha and the Two Bears (2 Kings 2:23-25)

Quote:
23 Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!" 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number. 25 And he went from there to Mount Carmel, and from there he returned to Samaria.

prothero

Reply Sun 17 Jan, 2010 07:07 pm
@Twistedgypsychil,
Well not all myths are created equal, some myths are better than others.
That is one they usually leave out of sunday school. Not all jokes are funny and not all books are well written or interesting. The Bible and other sacred writings are collections of myths from different authors and different times; some good, some not so good but all of which have endured for centuries.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 03:53:05