Draw Mohammed Day

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Islam
  3. » Draw Mohammed Day

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:19 am
Not sure how aware people are of this but today is Draw Mohammed Day. I found out about it too late to produce any sort of video or publication of my own, I would have liked to have made some sort of cartoon of parts of the Satanic Verses had I have known earlier.

Here is one of the participants, and one of the more tasteful and respectful efforts, I feel.

YouTube - Drama hamad

Other participants are obviously using it as an excuse to denigrate Islam or Muslims in general under the guise of sticking up for freedom of speech - which engenders mixed feelings in me. I too hate the fact that certain Muslims threaten (and carry out) violent acts in response to satire or criticism, but I think the issue is hugely exaggerated by the press and a western world that likes to justify it's own record of savagery by highlighting the faults of Islam.

There have been some positive responses from Muslims, including a group who have taken part in depicting the prophet (abeit largely through calligraphy) and another set who have countered the effort with "Honour Muhammed Day" in which they will attempt to raise the profile of the prophet by highlighting the wisdom (as they see it, of course) of the Hadith and the Koran.

I've yet to hear of any organised violence resulting from it, though of course some ugly pronouncements from both sides of the argument are easy enough to find in the comments section of Youtube and Facebook and blogs and forums.

Pakistan has responded by banning Facebook and Youtube for the time being.

In general I find the effort a worthy one, and as I said I would have liked to have made a video of my own had I the time to do something I felt was worthwhile - maybe next year.

Of course it is always disappointing to see it used as an excuse for bigoted yahoos (of either stripe) to indulge in triumphalism and prejudice - but I suppose that's the price of free speech.

Anybody else got opinions on it?
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:22 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;166397 wrote:
Not sure how aware people are of this but today is Draw Mohammed Day. I found out about it too late to produce any sort of video or publication, I would have liked to have made some sort of cartoon of parts of the Satanic Verses had I have known earlier.

Here is one of the participants, and one of the more tasteful and respectful efforts, I feel.

YouTube - Drama hamad

Other participants are obviously using it as an excuse to denigrate Islam or Muslims in general under the guise of sticking up for freedom of speech - which engenders mixed feelings in me. I too hate the fact that certain Muslims threaten (and carry out) violent acts in response to satire, but I think the issue is hugely exaggerated by the press.

There have been some positive responses from Muslims, including a group who have taken part in depicting the prophet (abeit largely through calligraphy) and another set who have countered the effort with "Honour Muhammed Day" in which they will attempt to raise the profile of the prophet by highlighting the wisdom (as they see it, of course) of the Hadith and the Koran.

I've yet to hear of any organised violence resulting from it, though of course some ugly pronouncements from both sides of the argument are easy enough to find in the comments section of Youtube and Facebook and blogs and forums.

Pakistan has responded by banning Facebook and Youtube for the time being.

In general I find the effort a worthy one, and as I said I would have liked to have made a video of my own had I the time to do something I felt was worthwhile - maybe next year.

Of course it is always disappointing to see it used as an excuse for bigoted yahoos (of either stripe) to indulge in triumphalism and prejudice - but I suppose that's the price of free speech.

Anybody else got opinions on it?


Yes, you are a brave (or maybe, foolhardy) man. Do you live in Londonistan? Maybe you had better ask the police to give you a bodyguard.

By the way, bigotry is a form of prejudice. But to be prejudiced is to hate or dislike for no good reason. So, perhaps you would like to change your view about there being bigotry against Muslems.
 
Dave Allen
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166399 wrote:
Yes, you are a brave man. Do you live in Londonistan?

No, Belfast. Where protestants and catholics still like to occasionally kill one another for not being proper christians.

I'm not quite sure what your point is. As I said had I the time I'd have liked to have contributed an animation of parts of Salman Rushdie's book. I didn't. I could have made a silly little stick drawing I suppose - but why carry coal to Newcastle?

Nor do I think such a thing would have proved my bravery really. Salman Rushdie and the South Park creators can claim to have guts. I would have just liked to have contributed had I the time to do something tasteful and worthwhile. I'll try to get something done for the future.
 
xris
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:34 am
@Dave Allen,
I shall return but I must say I missed half of what he said, watching him draw Mohammad.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:39 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;166400 wrote:
No, Belfast. Where protestants and catholics still like to occasionally kill one another for not being proper christians.

.


I guess then that it is safer to say anything not adoring about Mohammed, the horse thief, than it would be in the more benighted places in Britain. Think the mosque-ridden Midlands. I lived in Britain for some time. It used to be a green and pleasant land. I don't return now.
 
Dave Allen
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166399 wrote:
By the way, bigotry is a form of prejudice. But to be prejudiced is to hate or dislike for no good reason. So, perhaps you would like to change your view about there being bigotry against Muslems.

I certainly think there is no good reason to hate billions of people, most of whom have never been involved in bloodshed and some of whom I have met personally and found to be no worse than anyone else.

I asked you before why i would hate someone like Salima, who seems one of the more rational and considered posters here - but you didn't respond because fielding awkward queries isn't your bag.

The good thing about Draw Mohammed Day is that it allows those with a penchant for free speech to oppose those who would threaten it creatively and without violence. They can depict Muhammed warmly should they wish, as I think AronRa does. It also provides a showcase for moderate Muslims to display some dignity and tolerance.
 
xris
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:48 am
@kennethamy,
Mohammed Image Archive Not all Muslims find it offensive and historically it never was classified as such a terrible thing. What this exercise tells us is how the world has changed and how we tremble with fear at doing the most mundane of acts, the act of drawing a man, a man of flesh and blood. PBUH, his a man , why should we indulge in this nonsense?

The virgin Mary is another idolised figure , she almost outshines god and definitely demands more worship than Christ in certain sections of the RC church.
 
Dave Allen
 
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 06:52 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;166404 wrote:
I guess then that it is safer to say anything not adoring about Mohammed, the horse thief, than it would be in the more benighted places in Britain. Think the mosque-ridden Midlands. I lived in Britain for some time. It used to be a green and pleasant land. I don't return now.

Strikes me as something of a strawman, my intention as stated was to dramatise parts of the Satanic Verses - which is plenty critical of Mohammed, the horse thief and pederast who can kiss my ass whilst eating bacon.

But that doesn't mean I support some jerk who wants to indulge in hate speech aimed at denigrating billions of people, many of whom are innocent of any crime, or spreading misinformation under the guise of protecting free speech. I'll stand up for it along Voltarian lines, but I don't respect it and it's not in my name.

By the way - plenty of money has flowed from New York to Belfast over the years to encourage people here to blow things up and shoot one another. More people died during the troubles than on 9/11.

Do I hate New Yorkers, or Bostonians?

No, I know they aren't all culpable. In fact I know only a small minority donated to the republican cause, and that many of them might just have fallen for the propaganda rather than the reality of what Ireland's problems were and how best to solve them.

Do I regard McDonald's as benighting my home?

No.

Does a mosque bother me any more than a church?

No, why would it?

I previously lived in Nottingham, were there is a large muslim population, and I heard plenty of criticism aimed their way. If I had to say who was intimidating who more - the muslims or those who disliked them - it would not have been the muslims on the whole. I didn't think Nottingham benighted, I would rather be there than Belfast and plan to return as soon as possible.

---------- Post added 05-20-2010 at 07:57 AM ----------

xris;166412 wrote:
Mohammed Image Archive Not all Muslims find it offensive and historically it never was classified as such a terrible thing. What this exercise tells us is how the world has changed and how we tremble with fear at doing the most mundane of acts, the act of drawing a man, a man of flesh and blood. PBUH, his a man , why should we indulge in this nonsense?

Well, I think this day is about getting over that - you know - those who threatened the Danish cartoonists could do so because they were just a few men, working for one paper.

But when thousands do it, all over the web, you can't threaten them all, so the extremists are forced to confront a new paradigm.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Islam
  3. » Draw Mohammed Day
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 03/23/2019 at 05:30:17