Ortega y Gasset - Works By and About in English

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » José Ortega y Gasset
  3. » Ortega y Gasset - Works By and About in English

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:35 pm
The best quick introduction to Ortega y Gasset's philosophy in English is

The most scholarly and thoroughly researched and documented book about Ortega's philosophy is A Pragmatist Philosophy of Life in Ortega y Gasset, by John T. Graham (Columbia and London: University of Missouri Press, 1994), the first volume in a series of comprehensive studies of his thought. Here Dr. Graham, a historian specializing in the history of ideas, presents detailed evidence of the controversial thesis that Ortega's metaphysics was largely derived from the thought of William James. Two subsequent volumes deal with Ortega's theory of history and sociology.

Two more recent books presenting Ortega's central metaphysical concept of "human life as the radical reality" are: Human Existence as Radical Reality: Ortega y Gasset's Philosophy of Subjectivity, by Pedro Blas Gonzalez (St. Paul, MN: Paragon House, 2005) and Human Life as Radical Reality: An Idea Developed from the Conceptions of Dilthey, Heidegger and Ortega y Gasset, by Howard N. Tuttle (New York: Peter Lang Publications Inc., 2005).

A few years ago I set up a webpage at www.geocities.com/longknowledge/ortegaygasset.html, which was intended to be a bibliography of all works in English by and about Ortega. It does include bibliographies, books and articles, but still remains to be completed with dissertations and other materials.

I am also the editor of the Bibliography section of the Spanish website Meditaciones, which is a comprehensive site about Ortega' life and works. (See http://idd00qaa.eresmas.net/ortega/bibliografias/bibliografia.htm)

I have been a student of Ortega's thought for almost 50 years. If you have any specific questions about Ortega's philosophy, I will try to answer them or at least point you in the right direction. You can contact me through the Forum or directly at [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL].

Viva Ortega!

"I am I and my circumstance, and if I don't save it I don't save myself." Ortega y Gasset, 1914

longknowledge

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 09:02 pm
@longknowledge,
My webpage on works by and about Ortega has been removed from geocities. I hope to set up a new webpage with more complete and updated sources in the near future.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » José Ortega y Gasset
  3. » Ortega y Gasset - Works By and About in English
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:19:50