Physical Events, Physics and Metaphysics

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96812 wrote:
The initial passage from Ortega was a defence of the importance of the metaphysical and also a recognition of the metaphysical in the construction of knowledge.

I agree that analysis is an important part of philosophy, but it is only part of the tradition. Analysis can be forensic analysis or objective analysis or some other kind of analysis. Analytical philosphers of the Anglo-US schools tend to regard all philosophy as the analysis of propositions. Socrates was analytical but his significance in the tradition is more than his ability to analyse propositions. He is mainly remembered for being able to prompt his interrogators to ask deep questions about their own attitudes and beliefs. It is true that he did not advance a systematic metaphysic but nevertheless his dialogs were suggestive of many metaphysical concerns.

I believe that by the rejection of the metaphysical, which the analytical tradition has explicity done (see the quote above from Bertrand Russell), that Western philosophy has indeed 'abandoned its mission' which is to require the asking of very deep questions about one's own identity, the nature of knowledge, and these sorts of questions, which are necessarily first-person, rather than 'objective'.

I don't know that the Russell of over 50 years ago can be considered an authority on recent philosophy, but, at any rate, he does not say that contemporary philosophers have rejected the Western tradition, but that they have rejected intuition as a way of knowing the answer to the "higher questions". I think Russell would have agreed that before we try to answer questions, we try to discover what those questions mean, if anything at all. Questioning the questions themselves is an important part of the work of analytic philosophy, partly because by doing so, it may turn out that the questions themselves either vanish, or turn out to be too vague to answer sensibly. Philosophy has become more self-conscious since the advent of Logical Positivism, and Wittgenstein. The old and traditional philosophical questions are no longer taken at face value. Nor should they be.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 01:59 am
@longknowledge,
I agree with that, but there is also a definite change of stance which marks the advent of secularism and its rejection of metaphysical, spiritual or religious values. I mean the background of all early modern philosophy was at the end of the day religious and in important ways if you remove that religious background, what remains may no longer be completely intelligible. The choices we have left seem to be either some kind of commitment to objectivism, which nearly always entails an appeal to scientific truth, or to relativism. So even if the old and traditional questions cannot be taken at face value, and I agree they cannot, they may benefit from being re-intepreted, and from what I am seeing so far of Ortega, this is very much what he is attempting to do. (I have actually acquired one of the texts mentioned now.)

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:20 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96846 wrote:
I agree with that, but there is also a definite change of stance which marks the advent of secularism and its rejection of metaphysical, spiritual or religious values. I mean the background of all early modern philosophy was at the end of the day religious and in important ways if you remove that religious background, what remains may no longer be completely intelligible. The choices we have left seem to be either some kind of commitment to objectivism, which nearly always entails an appeal to scientific truth, or to relativism. So even if the old and traditional questions cannot be taken at face value, and I agree they cannot, they may benefit from being re-intepreted, and from what I am seeing so far of Ortega, this is very much what he is attempting to do. (I have actually acquired one of the texts mentioned now.)

You wrote:

that Western philosophy has indeed 'abandoned its mission' which is to require the asking of very deep questions about one's own identity, the nature of knowledge, and these sorts of questions, which are necessarily
that Western philosophy has indeed 'abandoned its mission' which is to require the asking of very deep questions about one's own identity, the nature of knowledge, and these sorts of questions, which are are necessarily first-person, rather than 'objective'.

But analytic philosophy has not stopped asking what is the nature of knowledge. Epistemology is a thriving part of analytic philosophy, and, indeed, many analytic philosophers accept Plato's analysis of knowledge which he advances in the Theatetus (and elsewhere) that knowledge is true, belief with logos, which is understood as justification, so that knowledge is true, justified, belief. How much more traditional and metaphysical can you get than Plato? Now this analysis of knowledge (or analysis of "knowledge") does not seem to be to be "first person" and since you contrast that with objective, I suppose you mean, "subjective". But why should an analysis of knowledge be subjective? After all it is true about others that they know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador just as I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. What is subjective (or first person) about knowledge? Plato's analysis is certainly not first person. According to him, to say of someone else,A, that A knows that p (some proposition) is true, is to say that: p is true, that A believes that p is true, and that A's belief that p is true, is justified. And the very same is the case when A=I. Why would the analysis of what it means for me to know be any different from what it means for you to know?

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:03 pm
@longknowledge,
Very good question indeed. I will need to take some time to respond to that. Although, briefly, the knowledge that the Philosopher may attain due to his ability to perceive the Form of the Good may be of a different nature to the knowledge of mundane facts such as the capital of Ecuador. If there is indeed any kind of transcendent sphere or realm of knowledge which is not available to the wordly intellect then he may fail in the attempt to disclose that knowledge to a person who has not arrived at a similar plane. (However I will need some time to find a reference for that.)

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:35 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96954 wrote:
Very good question indeed. I will need to take some time to respond to that. Although, briefly, the knowledge that the Philosopher may attain due to his ability to perceive the Form of the Good may be of a different nature to the knowledge of mundane facts such as the capital of Ecuador. If there is indeed any kind of transcendent sphere or realm of knowledge which is not available to the wordly intellect then he may fail in the attempt to disclose that knowledge to a person who has not arrived at a similar plane. (However I will need some time to find a reference for that.)

I cannot follow you. But isn't it clear that both you and I know the very same thing; that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? So, what is the difference between first and second or third person knowledge. Are you saying that in the case of "mundane facts" there is no difference? What kind of knowledge is not about "mundane facts"? What about very unmundane knowledge like the velocity of light?

If you are maintaining that there is a kind of knowledge accessible to some, but not to others, I am afraid that is something you will have to support with evidence, unless you expect me just to take your word for it. I am, of course, confined to "mundane knowledge".

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:35 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96961 wrote:
If you are maintaining that there is a kind of knowledge accessible to some, but not to others, I am afraid that is something you will have to support with evidence, unless you expect me just to take your word for it.

But this is very much the issue in all of this discussion. The idea of 'higher knowledge' was essential to Platonism, viz-a-viz, the allegory of the cave, and in other places in his writing, and indeed to virtually all the schools of traditional philosophy.

Some quotes from Plato:

Quote:
Knowledge differs from knowledge - one having reagrd to the things that come into being and perish, the other to those that do not come into being and perish, but are always unchanged and unaltered. Reviewing them on the score of truth, we concluded that the latter was truer than the former. Philebus (6rd-e) quoted in The Shape of Ancient Thought, Thomas McEvilley, p187

Quote:
(Diotima describing an ecstactic vision to Socates) "Whoever has been initiated so far in the mysteries of Love and has viewed all these aspects of the beautiful in due succession is at last drawing near the final revelation. And now, Socrates, there bursts upon him that wondrous vision which is the very soul of the beauty he has toiled so long for. It is an everlasting loveliness which never comes now goes, which neither flowers nor fades, for such beauty is the same on every hand, the same then as now, here as there, this way as that way, the same to every worshipper as it is to every other." (From The Symposium; quoted in McEvilley, ibid, p 188

This text, The Shape of Ancient Thought, shows that there are many parallels between such passages in Plato and similar ideas in the Upanisads (i.e. the esoteric scriptures of Hinduism). There is a similar distinction made between 'two levels of truth' samvriti (conventional) and paramartha (ultimate) in Mahayana Buddhism (see T.R.V. Murti, The Central Philosophy of Buddhism.) In all of these teachings, East and West, the apprehension of the higher truths requires initiation, apprenticeship, discipline, mediation and study, culminatiing in realisation and liberation. (This is admittedly quite anomalous to the outlook of democratic liberalism.)

But it is all rejected by secular modernism - the very idea of higher truths, spiritual realisations, other planes of being, and the rest. We are all consigned to the flatland of 'whatever can be known, can be known by means of science'. However, fortunately, one of the great benefits of modern society is that information on these traditions is freely available, and one is able to study them. So in that respect I am not critical of the secular state at all.

As for evidence, what would evidence consist of? If there are higher truths, how would evidence be found? What samples could be brought back?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 04:58 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;96990 wrote:
But this is very much the issue in all of this discussion. The idea of 'higher knowledge' was essential to Platonism, viz-a-viz, the allegory of the cave, and in other places in his writing, and indeed to virtually all the schools of traditional philosophy.

Some quotes from Plato:

This text, The Shape of Ancient Thought, shows that there are many parallels between such passages in Plato and similar ideas in the Upanisads (i.e. the esoteric scriptures of Hinduism). There is a similar distinction made between 'two levels of truth' samvriti (conventional) and paramartha (ultimate) in Mahayana Buddhism (see T.R.V. Murti, The Central Philosophy of Buddhism.) In all of these teachings, East and West, the apprehension of the higher truths requires initiation, apprenticeship, discipline, mediation and study, culminatiing in realisation and liberation. (This is admittedly quite anomalous to the outlook of democratic liberalism.)

But it is all rejected by secular modernism - the very idea of higher truths, spiritual realisations, other planes of being, and the rest. We are all consigned to the flatland of 'whatever can be known, can be known by means of science'. However, fortunately, one of the great benefits of modern society is that information on these traditions is freely available, and one is able to study them. So in that respect I am not critical of the secular state at all.

As for evidence, what would evidence consist of? If there are higher truths, how would evidence be found? What samples could be brought back?

I know that Plato claimed that there was knowledge of the Forms that only philosophers could achieved because only they had the Nous (or Intuition).But there is no reason to believe that is true. Or that there is such a thing. Karl Popper, in his great two volume work, "The Open Society and its Enemies" discussed Plato and his influence in this matter quite thoroughly. Why would anyone believe there were higher truths, or knowledge of them, if there is no reason to believe it?

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 05:50 pm
@longknowledge,
Well I believe it is true. And it is a very different truth claim to religious truth claims, because it is, at least in principle, experientially verifiable. The idea of 'nous' is also present in very many traditional philosophies; it is not unique to Platonism. And I, for one, won't accept that they were all having themselves on.

Popper had good reason to oppose Plato. He realises that there is a very real tension between the Platonic outlook and the secular liberalism in which science is the only arbiter of truth. You can't bring Plato's type of understanding down to the man in the street. The man in the street has to get his walking boots on and prepare for an arduous ascent. (Although in most cases he will just look at you and say 'ascend what?')

But as I have said before, I am not out to convert anyone. I think at least we have become clear about our points of divergence, and for that I am grateful.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:02 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;97011 wrote:
Well I believe it is true. And it is a very different truth claim to religious truth claims, because it is, at least in principle, experientially verifiable. The idea of 'nous' is also present in very many traditional philosophies; it is not unique to Platonism. And I, for one, won't accept that they were all having themselves on.

Popper had good reason to oppose Plato. He realises that there is a very real tension between the Platonic outlook and the secular liberalism in which science is the only arbiter of truth. You can't bring Plato's type of understanding down to the man in the street. The man in the street has to get his walking boots on and prepare for an arduous ascent. (Although in most cases he will just look at you and say 'ascend what?')

But as I have said before, I am not out to convert anyone. I think at least we have become clear about our points of divergence, and for that I am grateful.

I know you believe it is true. I suppose you would not have posted it unless you did. But the question is whether you ought to believe it is true. And that depends on whether your belief that it is true is justified. After all, we all believe that our beliefs are true, otherwise we would not believe them in the first place. However, if we have any humility, we also should believe that some of our beliefs are false. Only, of course, we don't know which ones, since if we did, we would not believe them. So, all we can do is search for reasons or evidence for the beliefs we have, and try to winnow out the false ones. We ought to be wary of our beliefs, unless we want to deceive ourselves. And, I suppose we all do to some extent or other. But that does not excuse us from taking a tough look at them. Unless we don't mind being gullible. And I mind that very much.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:42 pm
@longknowledge,
I don't think that believing that there is a higher, philosophical knowledge is a sign of gullibility. It is a hard thing to fathom, a hard thing to follow, and a hard thing to understand. It is not pop philosophy or a cult religion. So I think you are actually being rather condescending. But maybe this is just your way of defending your sense of normality.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 06:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;97031 wrote:
I don't think that believing that there is a higher, philosophical knowledge is a sign of gullibility. It is a hard thing to fathom, a hard thing to follow, and a hard thing to understand. It is not pop philosophy or a cult religion. So I think you are actually being rather condescending. But maybe this is just your way of defending your sense of normality.

Believing anything without evidence or reason is, I think, a sign of gullibility. And if you don't mind that you do this, it is a sign of not caring about whether what you believe is true or not. Which, I think, is much worse. You keep talking about a "sense or normality". I don't know what you mean by this, and why you think I have it. Whatever it is. I do think there is philosophical knowledge, but I don't understand why you think it is "higher" or, come to think about it, just what you mean by that.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:10 pm
@longknowledge,
Well can I ask, if you believe that Plato was wrong in saying that there is a faculty of higher knowledge, nous, and that the was a type of perception not available to the - how should we say - philosophically unskilled, then what might 'philosophical knowledge' consist of?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:23 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;97039 wrote:
Well can I ask, if you believe that Plato was wrong in saying that there is a faculty of higher knowledge, nous, and that the was a type of perception not available to the - how should we say - philosophically unskilled, then what might 'philosophical knowledge' consist of?

Conceptual philosophical truths. As an example: knowledge implies truth. But I suppose that you have to know something about philosophy (epistemology) to understand why this is true. But then, you have to understand some chemistry to understand what it means to say that table salt is sodium chloride. (That is not, of course, a conceptual truth).

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 07:57 pm
@longknowledge,
And you have to have some experience of higher states to know what they are. If you do, you know that 'higher states' and the associated 'higher knowledges' are not an example of gullibility or wishful thinking. They are hard to attain. There are sources of this kind of knowledge from all over the world, and from many different cultures. But it is more a matter that for the secular outlook, there really is 'no such thing'. All this proves is the boundary of secularism, that is all. And the reason I say you are defending your sense of normality, is because you cannot help but think I am kidding myself. You really cannot bring yourself to accept that such things might exist, if you were honest about it. So - I must be gullible.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:10 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;97051 wrote:
And you have to have some experience of higher states to know what they are. If you do, you know that 'higher states' and the associated 'higher knowledges' are not an example of gullibility or wishful thinking. They are hard to attain. There are sources of this kind of knowledge from all over the world, and from many different cultures. But it is more a matter that for the secular outlook, there really is 'no such thing'. All this proves is the boundary of secularism, that is all. And the reason I say you are defending your sense of normality, is because you cannot help but think I am kidding myself. You really cannot bring yourself to accept that such things might exist, if you were honest about it. So - I must be gullible.

Yes. I have to admit that I find it hard to believe without, or contrary to evidence. (It isn't that I don't think such things might exist. It is that I do not think such things do exist. Lots of things might exist that do not exist).

jeeprs

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:39 pm
@longknowledge,
Well that's OK. Each to his own.

longknowledge

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 08:49 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;96961 wrote:
I cannot follow you. But isn't it clear that both you and I know the very same thing; that Quito is the capital of Ecuador? So, what is the difference between first and second or third person knowledge. Are you saying that in the case of "mundane facts" there is no difference? What kind of knowledge is not about "mundane facts"? What about very unmundane knowledge like the velocity of light?

If you are maintaining that there is a kind of knowledge accessible to some, but not to others, I am afraid that is something you will have to support with evidence, unless you expect me just to take your word for it. I am, of course, confined to "mundane knowledge".

I've seen the light coming from the sun but I've never seen the "speed of light coming from the sun". According to Wikipedia:

Quote:
In physics, the speed of light (usually denoted c) is a physical constant, the speed at which electromagnetic radiation, such as light, travels in (i.e., perfect vacuum). Its value is 299,792,458 metres per second.

So the "speed of light" is purely "theoretical". I can never seem to find "free space" in my "mundane" world, nor "a perfect vacuum", although my Orek comes pretty damn close. However:

Quote:
Light travels more slowly in a transparent material than it does through a vacuum due to interaction of the light with the electrons in the material. . . . The actual speed at which light propagates through transparent materials, such as glass or air, is less than c.

So, when I look at "actual" sunlight coming through a window, or even through the air, its "actual speed" is less than its "theoretical speed" in a "theoretical perfect vacuum".

Of course, "theoretical", "actual" and even "speed" are not "mundane facts" that the physicist "makes" when she "makes" an observation, but rather "imaginary facts" that the physicist "makes" in order to explain the "mundane facts" she has "made". (The word "fact" comes from the Latin factum, "thing done", from the verb facere, "to do".)

Now, in order to explain these "mundane facts" of what the "actual physicist" "does", we have to rely on metaphysics because, as Ortega says, they are "metaphysical facts". And this requires a second person, the metaphysician! And to explain the actions of the metaphysician, we need a "third" person, the metametaphysician. And that's you because, after all, this is the Metaphilosophy Forum. (See Metametaphysics: New Essays on the Foundations of Ontology, edited by David Chalmers, et al., Oxford University Press, 2000.)

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 09:32 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;97063 wrote:
Well that's OK. Each to his own.

Of course. There is no law that compels you to believe on evidence and reason. Although, I bet that's what you do except when considering religion and philosophy. The question I have is, why the difference? Why do some people hand up their commonsense, along with their jacket before they enter the philosophy study?

longknowledge

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 10:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;97074 wrote:
Of course. There is no law that compels you to believe on evidence and reason. Although, I bet that's what you do except when considering religion and philosophy. The question I have is, why the difference? Why do some people hand up their commonsense, along with their jacket before they enter the philosophy study?

Are you saying that "to believe on evidence and reason" is just "commonsense"? Then what do we need a "philosophy study" for?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:04 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge;97089 wrote:
Are you saying that "to believe on evidence and reason" is just "commonsense"? Then what do we need a "philosophy study" for?

It is commonsense to believe on reason and evidence. I did not say that reason and evidence were just commonsense.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:52:36