London Calling

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

KCL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:45 am
Hi guys,

I have come across this site looking for help with a few logic questions. Im pleased to say Im astounded by the quality of responses and once this logic is completed Im going to spend many happy hours on here!

Great work Justin and all other administrators...

Carl

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 06:48 am
@KCL,
Welcome KCL!

If you need any help with logic questions, we are more than happy to help you out. What type of logic questions do you have?

Also, if you need help with logic problems that I hadn't covered yet in the logic section, let me know. I have been meaning to finish the symposia for a bit.

But anywho welcome to the forum! Have a blast!

KCL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:11 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I've just finished the first year of a philosophy undergrad degree and I let logic slide a little so Im catching up over the summer. The questions I have are quite simple. I'll start a thread as soon as Im allowed to.
Im unsure about derivations (I think Ive got derivations in sentential logic handled) in Predicate Logic. I know I'll get it cracked. As with maths once you understand it is immensely satisfying, but until then immensely infuriating!

Thank you for the welcoming response and I look forward to contributing over the coming two years.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:19 am
@KCL,
It's crazy you said that. When I went through my philosophy degree, I pushed logic back for like two years. (As a side note, if you are using The Logic Book by Bergmann... get a better book.) Then come to find out I really liked it. Also, congratulations on finishing your first year. I don't know if you heard the statistic, but by the end of the first year, the average number of majors in philosophy at second/third tier schools drops by 30%!

But you say you have an issue with derivations rules. Is this as opposed to replacement rules? Also, is it predicate or propositional logic? But I completely agree with your sentiments about math. Once you get it down, it becomes immensely satisfying.

But I'm glad you express a very bright future with us at the forum. The forum has a great variety of people contributing. You will certainly enjoy it.

Justin

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:37 am
@KCL,
Warm welcome to you KCL and thank you for the compliments on the forum. Glad you've signed up and please make yourself at home.

KCL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 07:43 am
@VideCorSpoon,
VideCorSpoon wrote:
It's crazy you said that. When I went through my philosophy degree, I pushed logic back for like two years. (As a side note, if you are using The Logic Book by Bergmann... get a better book.) Then come to find out I really liked it. Also, congratulations on finishing your first year. I don't know if you heard the statistic, but by the end of the first year, the average number of majors in philosophy at second/third tier schools drops by 30%!

But you say you have an issue with derivations rules. Is this as opposed to replacement rules? Also, is it predicate or propositional logic? But I completely agree with your sentiments about math. Once you get it down, it becomes immensely satisfying.

But I'm glad you express a very bright future with us at the forum. The forum has a great variety of people contributing. You will certainly enjoy it.
I am indeed using The Logic Book by Bergmann (not forgetting Moor and Nelson Wink).
I too am finding that the more logic I do the more I am enjoying it. It doesn't have the same instant appeal as epistemology or metaphysics but is gratifying in its own way.
Which textbook do you suggest?

I'm looking at predicate logic and my post is up in the Logic Forum.

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome,

C

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:12 am
@KCL,
Like I said in your other post, PDE is very advanced for just finishing up the first year. Props!!! Definitely stick around. Theres some stuff I want to ask you!

God how I hated using Bergmmann's (et. al. of course) book. But maybe it was just the instructor who used it. Personally, I've always been a fan of Herrick. He has a way of conveying how to use the information in a very practical sense. Any of Herricks books are great. Prospesel is a little more remedial, but still gets the job done. But he really butchers symbolization.

What annoys me the most is there is no streamlined inference and replacement rule system. For predicate or propositional logic. Herricks system is different from Bergmann's et. al., who is different from Prospesel's. I'll have to reacquaint myself with Bergmann again.

But I'm glad you mention metaphysics. What area of metaphysics are you interested in? I am particularly interested in Greek ontological metaphysics (like Aristotle, etc.). In one of my papers I did a short translation of Meta Zeta Bk 1 and logical translations. I would love to discuss that with you later on down the way.

KCL

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:56 am
@VideCorSpoon,
I have just done an introductory course on metaphysicks focusing on Personal Identity and the Philosophy of Mind. I've read some excellent articles by 20th Century philosophers including Strawson and Nagel.
The Greeks havent hooked me so far but I shall be doing far more this year, particularly Aristotle. I look forward to blowing ideas around with you!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 04:44 pm
@KCL,
Thats great that your school does introductory courses in metaphysics. I had to get a seat card for a masters level course to get into the interesting parts of Greek Metaphysics. But I admit my bias in the realm of metaphysics if it's not Greek. I was a Grecian at school.

But as I have come to find out from various people that have come and gone on the forum who were also working on philosophy degrees, they all had to take a post modern philosophy course (from descartes to Locke). That sounds like a course I think you would thoroughly enjoy.

Also, you don't want to be hooked by any ancient Greeks. Pedastery and all. LOL!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:27:31