Space and Time cannot exist in reality?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Immanuel Kant
  3. » Space and Time cannot exist in reality?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

marciag

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 06:02 pm
I have always believed in the reality of space and time.

But it seems that Kant is saying that space and time are humanity's form for experiencing the world and not only does space and time not correlate with reality but it cannot even possibly. I find this very disturbing. But I cannot find a flaw in his argument and on the contrary I am beginning to wonder if he is right. I will look for refuting arguments and see what I find.

The only analogy I can seem to think of is that of Flatland. We are in Flatland trying to understand a three dimensional reality and failing utterly. A friend tells me this doesn't really matter in the practical sense and I suppose I will have to think about that.

richrf

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 06:42 pm
@marciag,
marciag;75473 wrote:
I have always believed in the reality of space and time.

But it seems that Kant is saying that space and time are humanity's form for experiencing the world and not only does space and time not correlate with reality but it cannot even possibly. I find this very disturbing. But I cannot find a flaw in his argument and on the contrary I am beginning to wonder if he is right. I will look for refuting arguments and see what I find.

The only analogy I can seem to think of is that of Flatland. We are in Flatland trying to understand a three dimensional reality and failing utterly. A friend tells me this doesn't really matter in the practical sense and I suppose I will have to think about that.

Hi,

Space and time are interesting.

For example, what space/time one might experience in the awake state seems to be much different from an asleep state. How does this switch occur? Why the differences?

Why should time be relative to a frame of reference and velocity that one is moving? A strange concept?

For me, the answer lies in the perspective one takes. For me, space/time is something I experience. From a subjective point of view then I am quite comfortable with the concept though what it IS intrigues me. Recently, I happened upon the so-name Holographic Universe Theory which provides me with some potential ideas and clues.

However, for someone who wishes to define space/time as some sort of external, mind independent reality, then I think it might provide some discomfort, since it is difficult to feel grounded in such an illusive concept.

For me ... space/time is like an artist's canvas. It is formed by consciousness and light to create a canvas on which to create with. Sort of like a Monopoly board. Whimsical? Possibly. But who says life has to be serious? Smile

Cya,

Rich

marciag

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:02 pm
@richrf,
richrf;75475 wrote:
Hi,

Space and time are interesting.

For example, what space/time one might experience in the awake state seems to be much different from an asleep state. How does this switch occur? Why the differences?

Why should time be relative to a frame of reference and velocity that one is moving? A strange concept?

For me, the answer lies in the perspective one takes. For me, space/time is something I experience. From a subjective point of view then I am quite comfortable with the concept though what it IS intrigues me. Recently, I happened upon the so-name Holographic Universe Theory which provides me with some potential ideas and clues.

However, for someone who wishes to define space/time as some sort of external, mind independent reality, then I think it might provide some discomfort, since it is difficult to feel grounded in such an illusive concept.

For me ... space/time is like an artist's canvas. It is formed by consciousness and light to create a canvas on which to create with. Sort of like a Monopoly board. Whimsical? Possibly. But who says life has to be serious? Smile

Cya,

Rich

Kant might say that dreaming is all mental states and there is nothing to experience hence nothing with which space/time can mediate.

I'll think about looking at the Holographic Universe Theory at some later time when I can extricate myself from the quicksand Kant has led me to!

Thanks.

Marcia

richrf

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:12 pm
@marciag,
marciag;75480 wrote:
Kant might say that dreaming is all mental states and there is nothing to experience hence nothing with which space/time can mediate.

I'll think about looking at the Holographic Universe Theory at some later time when I can extricate myself from the quicksand Kant has led me to!

Thanks.

Marcia

Hi Marcia,

Whatever space/time is, it is interesting to me that I experience it quite differently in awake and asleep states. So one can say it is all a dream, but the dreams are much different for me!

What's more, the switch is made back and forth like POP!, and how does a mind do that to itself.

I think to ponder a hologram which is at first just a lot of stuff on a two dimensional film but takes a three dimensional shape when a light is is passed through it ... well that is remarkable.

For some time, I have been pondering the nature of light. There is an excellent book that I am reading Catching the Light, by Zajonc. I think light is the Key. For me light seems to be the apparatus for creation, consciousness the artist, and space/time the canvas on which to play. My thoughts always go to this idea.

Good luck with your exploration! I think Kant is a great place to stop off (I did when I was 17), but by no means, I feel, the end destination.

Rich

Richardgrant

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 09:51 pm
@richrf,
My understanding is that space and time are only experienced in the reflected universe. The real world 'unseen world', is all there is. There are no two things ever created, every thing that is, is of everything else that is. all is one in the hear and now. Richard

Caroline

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 01:34 am
@richrf,
richrf;75475 wrote:
Hi.

For example, what space/time one might experience in the awake state seems to be much different from an asleep state. How does this switch occur? Why the differences
Rich

Hi Rich,
I thought it said what's the difference, well I think that you dont experience time when your sleeping nor when you're dreaming. That you're not aware of time or space either really, well maybe space.

richrf

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:19 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;75533 wrote:
Hi Rich,
I thought it said what's the difference, well I think that you dont experience time when your sleeping nor when you're dreaming. That you're not aware of time or space either really, well maybe space.

Yes, I agree. And to me this is absolutely amazing! How does the mind switch itself from one state to another. Where does the impetus come from? What is it? How does it switch back? Why do the states seem so different? Why do we conclude one is reality and not the other? And on, and on and on ....

Also, amazing to me, this whole subject is barely discussed anywhere in all of the books I have ever read. The only person that I have found who has even touched this issue was Heraclitus who says roughly:

But other men know not what they are doing when awake, even as they forget what they do in sleep.

All the things we see when awake are death, even as all we see in slumber are sleep.

Those who are asleep are fellow-workers . . . .

And it is the same thing in us that is quick and dead, awake and asleep, young and old

The waking have one common world, but the sleeping turn aside each into a world of his own.

What is amazing to me is how completely human beings ignore sleep when they discuss the Reality. As if sleep doesn't even exist.

Rich

Caroline

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:33 am
@richrf,
richrf;75601 wrote:
Yes, I agree. And to me this is absolutely amazing! How does the mind switch itself from one state to another. Where does the impetus come from? What is it? How does it switch back? Why do the states seem so different? Why do we conclude one is reality and not the other? And on, and on and on ....

Also, amazing to me, this whole subject is barely discussed anywhere in all of the books I have ever read. The only person that I have found who has even touched this issue was Heraclitus who says roughly:

But other men know not what they are doing when awake, even as they forget what they do in sleep.

All the things we see when awake are death, even as all we see in slumber are sleep.

Those who are asleep are fellow-workers . . . .

And it is the same thing in us that is quick and dead, awake and asleep, young and old

The waking have one common world, but the sleeping turn aside each into a world of his own.

What is amazing to me is how completely human beings ignore sleep when they discuss the Reality. As if sleep doesn't even exist.

Rich

That's the most msyterious part is how because we dont know, in that it happens without us realising, (when we drift off to sleeep), have you ever heard about dream travelling, (i dont know what fancy name they call it), but where you're aware that you're dreaming and you kind of go off on trip, (or something), basically you choose where you go. It is very rare.
Yes I agree with you, that we must analyes the unconcious state,ie, dreaming to understand the whole.
Didn't someone once say "how can you tell you're not dreaming when you think you're awake?" I can t remember who said it. I thought it about it and I thought of the old saying about pinching yourself, I didn't understand the statement.

richrf

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:56 am
@Caroline,
Caroline;75606 wrote:
That's the most msyterious part is how because we dont know, in that it happens without us realising, (when we drift off to sleeep),

Yes. It just happens. Poof! And the we are awake. Poof!

Quote:
have you ever heard about dream travelling, (i dont know what fancy name they call it), but where you're aware that you're dreaming and you kind of go off on trip, (or something), basically you choose where you go. It is very rare.

People talk of lucid dreaming which I have not done. Have not heard of dream traveling though.

[/QUOTE]Yes I agree with you, that we must analyes the unconcious state,ie, dreaming to understand the whole. [/QUOTE]

And what is amazing, is that you are kind of conscious. You are an observer to the dream. But this consciousness is so much different than the awake state.

Quote:
Didn't someone once say "how can you tell you're not dreaming when you think you're awake?" I can t remember who said it. I thought it about it and I thought of the old saying about pinching yourself, I didn't understand the statement.

Interesting little quote. If I can, I might try it sometime. Smile

Thanks.

Rich

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Immanuel Kant
  3. » Space and Time cannot exist in reality?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:20:46