Need your help!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Immanuel Kant
  3. » Need your help!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

HumeFan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:46 am
Hi guys! I really need your help. I have a paper due Monday in my modern philosophy class about Kant's "Prolegomena". I pretty much have to describe Kant's basic strategy of securing synthetic a priori judgments. I understand that he believes his transcendental idealism is the solution to the problem, but I don't really understand how he manages to come to this conclusion. Nobody can explain it to me clearly, so if somebody here knows anything about Prolegomena, please help me.
Thanks guys,
Hume Fan

Arjen

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 02:38 pm
@HumeFan,
Synthetic judgements are in a way the opposite of analytic judgements. Analytic judgements are judgements which are made within the limits of what is known. If, for instance, someone had determined that for plant p to grow three things are necessary: dirt (d), water (w) and sunlight (l), I would be able to analyticly conclude that if p would not grow, but wither, and d and l are in abundant supply w is absent. Synthetic is the opposite of that in the manner that we look at the given facts, but do not know the answer yet and so cannot pick it out of an available set of answers. If we would know what 7, 5 and + means we could conclude synthetically that 5+7=12. This without knowing 12 on forehand.

A priori is perhaps best understood when contrasted with a posteriori. A posteriori means after perception and a priori means before perception. Kant speaks of this in the context of brain functions. Kant is what people would call a rationalist, which means that he believes that to understand our perceptions we need to know how to deal with them a priori. Empiricists believe that we percieve and on the bases of our perceptions we learn to think. Rationalists give empiricism a place a posteriori. In a rationalist view one knows what one percieves (in a basal way) a priori, and works out details (reasons) a posteriori.
A priori are what Kant calls "intuitions"; which he has divided into categoria. All categoria are based on a basal understanding of space and time

de Silentio

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 05:40 pm
@HumeFan,
Here is great straight forward resource:

Kant: Judgments

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Immanuel Kant
  3. » Need your help!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:50:29