Greetings fellows!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings fellows!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:15 pm
Hey, whats up everyone!? I just got into philosophy due to my philosophy classat school. I love thinking about things. I have no clue why but I hope that by join your forum here I will be able to figure it out.

As for any questions I have, well, I don't have any at this point. I am very open minded and I am willing to listen to everyone's ideas.

boagie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 04:35 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Smile

Welcome Sytar, feeling like you need a little intellectual stimulation. Well it is a pretty friendly group we have here. I am sure you will enjoy yourself and I am sure you will be enjoyed by others. In the mean time relax get to know the place, and think about responding to a thread that perhaps catches your interest. Again we are most pleased to have you with us!!! boagie:)

VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 06:32 pm
@boagie,

Ha! But seriously, what's your philosophy class on?

Sytar Embassy

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:18 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Well, the class just started today and my teacher says that we will be looking at some famous philosophers and their works. But most of the class will be envoling small group and class discusions. Like today, we where in groups of 3-4 and he gave us a philosophical quote or question and we would talk about it in our group, then share our group's thoughts with the rest of the class. Heres one.

"Scienctists have invented a box that shoots stimulents into your body that makes you feel happy. The box will vary the stimulents so that its a new feeling of happy. All you do is sit in the box. And, after about 10 hours in the box, a life support system would turn on to keep you alive. However, everyone that has stepped into the box has never come out. Now its your turn to try out the box. would you still go into the box knowing that you may never come back out?"

I said no because being in the real world and taking part in activities rather than sitting in abox and feeling happy isn't enough. I would rather run and move. The real box is right in your backyard.

What do you guys say?

boagie

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 07:33 pm
@Sytar Embassy,
Sytar Embassy,Smile

I would say that was a pretty good answer, for the problem has wider implications, would you trade your life off for a substance experience, would you trade your life away just to feel good. A much healthier choice is the one you made, the joys of life are to be found in living it, not in a passive inclination to retreat from unpleasant realities through diversion or fantasy. I would not count on getting to much of a response to this question however, as this is simply and introductory thread. Perhaps you would like to post this question or something else of interest in a new topic thread. Again Sytar, welcome, settle in and make yourself at home. boagie:)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings fellows!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 01:46:50