My Introduction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 07:57 pm
Hello

I am a non-active student Washington State University

I am currently taking a sebaticl from working on my BA degree in Philosophy.

I am not sure if I will pursue a higher degree but i am working on a thesis during my spare time.

Justin

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 06:42 am
@AvoidTheFuzz,
Thank you Avoidthefuzz for taking the time to introduce yourself and welcome to the Philosophy Forum! Please make yourself at home and we look forward to you getting involved.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 07:28 am
@AvoidTheFuzz,
Welcome avoidthefuzz!

I'm sure you will enjoy your time on the forum. I just finished up a little while ago with a philosophy degree myself. What is your topic for your thesis?

AvoidTheFuzz

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 09:32 am
@VideCorSpoon,
How an infinite/omni/neccessary god would create an infinite number of contingent universes.

I also am looking into a cosmology since current thought agrees with multiple(infinite whatever) universe theory

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2008 11:03 am
@AvoidTheFuzz,
That sounds like a very interesting topic.

I think the first problem may be trying to prove that God is omnipresent, infinite, and necessary. I can say that in order for your thesis to hold weight, you would have to narrowly define the possibility of god and god itself before anything else. I remember from one of my last theses that half of my paper was devoted towards the definition of "person" using etymological and historical references in order build up my argument and make it credible. Especially in the realm of philosophy, God is a relative term, so that amount of definition is extremely necessary.

Then, the first thing that comes to mind when you want to provide a valid argument about the absolute characteristics of some being (namely omnipresence, infinite, and necessary) is in the structure of predicate/quantifier logic. I think in that realm you may be able to come up with some pseudo-scientific proofs to base your argument off of. Especially the necessary conditions of God you want to explore since propositional logic statements depend on either necessary or sufficient conditions. But predicate logic seems as good a place as any to find some good structure to start with.

When you get to the multiple universal theory, that's where it would definitely become the problem. Mobius strip theory is a very good area to look at. You could definitely use that in your argument. But I have always thought that any relation to God and the universe may best be proven in the materiality of the universe. Like relating god to Brownian movement and quantum physics, because in those realms the staunchest of scientists struggle with the origins of kinetic molecular theory.

But anyway, you would definitely want to keep an eye out in the metaphysics and logic sections. The philosophy of science section tends to deal specifically with bioethics, but you may still want to scan through there as well. It would be great if you wanted to start a thread and hash out your thoughts on the matter. Try the creative writing section.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 07:19:55