Why atheism is irritating

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 10:03 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;67104 wrote:
I'm curious as to where we draw the line between not believing in a proposition and believing that a proposition is false. If you don't believe in a proposition, doesn't that naturally entail that you believe the proposition to be false?

I'm a 'there isn't' atheist, because I believe that there is no God. I'm a naturalist because I believe that supernatural agency does not exist. This isn't an impossible or irritating task for me. Many people have this view of knowledge, that it is this dogmatic, absolute rule that isn't subject to doubt. Knowledge is a practical and provisional concept that is always subject to doubt. The only propositions that are not subject to doubt are analytic propositions. I argue that there is no God or supernatural agency based on the principle of parsimony, the verification principle, and the incompatibility of certain conceptions of God with the universe we live in. I consider it to be knowledge (justified true belief) that God and supernatural agency doesn't exist, but I could be wrong. I have more than enough reason to say that God doesn't exist, but I'm perfectly willing to change my position on supernatural agency when and if it is ever verified to exist. I'm not going to change my position based on peoples' personal experience with the divine (mysticism) or their faith (wishful thinking). Show me the money!!!
By saying you dont believe in god, you have defined your opinion but i could say something completely diferent to you and still be an atheist,does that term describe our differences? I abhor the term wishful thinking when describing someone who might even be looking and suggesting the possibility.I dont think even agnostic atheist describes my views."Show me the money" look for yourself dont let the treasure find you.I am of the view that certain circumstantial evidence should be considered does that make me inquisitive or a wishful thinker.
I have changed my mind im a freethinking agnostic.

hue-man

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 10:24 am
@xris,
xris;67120 wrote:
"Show me the money" look for yourself dont let the treasure find you.
I have looked for the money, but I can't find it anywhere and believers tell me that it's everywhere. The burden of proof is on the person making the proposition.

xris;67120 wrote:
I have changed my mind im a freethinking agnostic

Then you have the wrong idea of what knowledge is.

xris

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 11:35 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;67128 wrote:
I have looked for the money, but I can't find it anywhere and believers tell me that it's everywhere. The burden of proof is on the person making the proposition.

Then you have the wrong idea of what knowledge is.
Well O great sage tell me apart from an agnostic or atheist how should describe myself so the individual has more grasp of my views.The point of treasure hunting is to find your own treasure then you dont have to share it.

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 11:46 am
@odenskrigare,
I think the decision has to be up to you, but the only thing I would say is that it would be a shame if you were to shun a lable you feel is appropriate simply because you feel that other people might judge you on it in terms of open-mindedness.

On the other hand, you shouldn't let the fact that I feel this way influence you either.

But all terms come with some baggage and evangelicism, unless you invent your own.

hue-man

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 12:54 pm
@xris,
xris;67149 wrote:
Well O great sage tell me apart from an agnostic or atheist how should describe myself so the individual has more grasp of my views.The point of treasure hunting is to find your own treasure then you dont have to share it.

Don't be so defensive, xris. You sound like an agnostic, and agnosticism is usually a result of an ill conception of knowledge. Sometimes it's a result of a little wishful thinking that there may be a space daddy after all, sort of like Pascal's wager.

xris

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 01:01 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;67153 wrote:
I think the decision has to be up to you, but the only thing I would say is that it would be a shame if you were to shun a lable you feel is appropriate simply because you feel that other people might judge you on it in terms of open-mindedness.

On the other hand, you shouldn't let the fact that I feel this way influence you either.

But all terms come with some baggage and evangelicism, unless you invent your own.
I have a very good friend who is a committed atheist and he gets rather concerned i call myself an agnostic.I find its almost like the faithful who also seem to require me to believe.Is it a reinforcement of their own beliefs to secure a convert.I can only ever say when ever i thought things where becoming clearer it mists over and i realise how almost impossible it is to ever define your beliefs.So im an agnostic as there is no more appropriate handle to rivet to my head.

hue-man

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
@xris,
xris;67173 wrote:
I have a very good friend who is a committed atheist and he gets rather concerned i call myself an agnostic.I find its almost like the faithful who also seem to require me to believe.Is it a reinforcement of their own beliefs to secure a convert.I can only ever say when ever i thought things where becoming clearer it mists over and i realise how almost impossible it is to ever define your beliefs.So im an agnostic as there is no more appropriate handle to rivet to my head.

Maybe he's afraid that you'll slip intofideism. I really don't care what a person calls themselves, but I will make my argument against their position if I disagree, and I disagree with agnosticism on sound grounds.

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 01:33 pm
@odenskrigare,
The problem seems to be to me, particularly in relevence to those with an interest in Philosophy, to be that matters of belief and matters of knowledge are quite distinct.

As someone with a respect for philosophy, I agree that you can tend to get as far as "I think therefore I am" or "one can doubt everything but the existence of doubt" before you have to start making assumptions.

Based on this I think it's pretty hard to answer questions regarding "knowledge" with definite answers. As I said earlier - pretty much everyone is technically agnostic, because only the most zealous have no feelings of doubt. I refrain from agnosticism not because I don't feel it is a valid position - it is just too broad a category to make much sense. Like answering "human race" to the query "what race are you?" It has something very apparent in its favour - but tells us very little.

To me, the question of "what do you believe" implies more wriggle room than "what do you know". To me saying you believe in something comes with an unspoken caveat that it is based on your experiences, the evidence you have looked at, your hunches, and so on.

Now, you can answer agnostic to this too, why not? I am agnostic on the question of whether or not an alien civilisation exists that rivals ours in terms of technological sophistication. Nothing I understand about the formation of life would throw the idea out of the window, but nothing could possibly confirm it either.

My tendancy to declare myself athiest in terms of God is also made in ignorance of knowledge about the matter. I think it's easy to see how humans have invented gods as a psychological security blanket or ultimate arbitrator of social authority, and that frustrates me as I reckon more people could do without it - to their benefit. However, I don't feel a position of agnosticism is intellectually assailable - even if it is fence-sitting or bet-hedging.

hue-man

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 01:44 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;67180 wrote:
The problem seems to be to me, particularly in relevence to those with an interest in Philosophy, to be that matters of belief and matters of knowledge are quite distinct.

As someone with a respect for philosophy, I agree that you can tend to get as far as "I think therefore I am" or "one can doubt everything but the existence of doubt" before you have to start making assumptions.

Based on this I think it's pretty hard to answer questions regarding "knowledge" with definite answers. As I said earlier - pretty much everyone is technically agnostic, because only the most zealous have no feelings of doubt. I refrain from agnosticism not because I don't feel it is a valid position - it is just too broad a category to make much sense. Like answering "human race" to the query "what race are you?" It has something very apparent in its favour - but tells us very little.

To me, the question of "what do you believe" implies more wriggle room than "what do you know". To me saying you believe in something comes with an unspoken caveat that it is based on your experiences, the evidence you have looked at, your hunches, and so on.

Now, you can answer agnostic to this too, why not? I am agnostic on the question of whether or not an alien civilisation exists that rivals ours in terms of technological sophistication. Nothing I understand about the formation of life would throw the idea out of the window, but nothing could possibly confirm it either.

My tendancy to declare myself athiest in terms of God is also made in ignorance of knowledge about the matter. I think it's easy to see how humans have invented gods as a psychological security blanket or ultimate arbitrator of social authority, and that frustrates me as I reckon more people could do without it - to their benefit. However, I don't feel a position of agnosticism is intellectually assailable - even if it is fence-sitting or bet-hedging.

Agnosticism, as you stated, is too broad of a term. It is a redundant restatement of the fact that all synthetic propositions are subject to doubt. Knowledge faces the problem of skepticism, which is logically defensible, and therefore knowledge can only be justified as a practical and provisional concept that is always subject to doubt. Atheism is in no way the absence of doubt; it is the result of its presence.

Khethil

Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;67087 wrote:
Has anyone pushed rudely, really, or do those who just push assertively get labelled rude by the theist majority?

Yea, it happens a lot. I've seen quite a bit of derisive, condescending and downright insulting pushyness from a number atheists (and am probably guilty of it myself in my younger years).

... you're not under the impression that disgust towards another mindset is is exclusive to theists, are ye? Smile

xris

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:21 am
@Khethil,
With all your interest you have confirmed my choice as agnostic.It may be vague but that describes my views,vague and changing constantly.Thanks xris..

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 03:34 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;67207 wrote:
Yea, it happens a lot. I've seen quite a bit of derisive, condescending and downright insulting pushyness from a number atheists (and am probably guilty of it myself in my younger years).

... you're not under the impression that disgust towards another mindset is is exclusive to theists, are ye? Smile

No, but I'm alive to the fact that groups who were previously cowed into relative silence tend to get labelled rude when they first realise they can make their voices heard (and whilst atheists have always been about it does seem to me that it is only in recent years when they have been loud and proud on media platforms within the US).

"Uppity blacks", "loud mouth feminists", "the love that dare not speak it's name is now the love that won't shut up", "angry atheists" and so on.

Now it may well be that a psychological result of realising that you can speak at last leads some to be rather more vocal than maybe they should - so it was a bit naive of me to presume you couldn't think of examples - I can myself.

However, in the crudest of gestalt views, is "rude atheists" a sign of the character of the group, or a characterisation assigned to the group by those who feel differently?

xris

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:13 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;67297 wrote:
No, but I'm alive to the fact that groups who were previously cowed into relative silence tend to get labelled rude when they first realise they can make their voices heard (and whilst atheists have always been about it does seem to me that it is only in recent years when they have been loud and proud on media platforms within the US).

"Uppity blacks", "loud mouth feminists", "the love that dare not speak it's name is now the love that won't shut up", "angry atheists" and so on.

Now it may well be that a psychological result of realising that you can speak at last leads some to be rather more vocal than maybe they should - so it was a bit naive of me to presume you couldn't think of examples - I can myself.

However, in the crudest of gestalt views, is "rude atheists" a sign of the character of the group, or a characterisation assigned to the group by those who feel differently?
Its not the intensity,its not the volume,its the certainty just like the certainty of believers, the faithful.The content is different the rhetoric is the opposite of the fundamentalist but the arrogant certainty is expressed in just the same manner.I sit mostly in the middle and i get the snide remarks from both sides, just look at the comments made to me in this thread.I'm in danger of slipping into theism, one remark, as if I'm beyond atheistic redemption.None of us know we can only scratch our itchy bits.

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 04:15 am
@odenskrigare,
If we can reach.

TurboLung

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 08:59 am
@odenskrigare,
you know, i am not religious at all, but, the more i read into quantum theory, astronomy, biology etc, the only answer that makes any type of sense is that there is a creator. it may just be an easy way out, but, i can't see any other way out. think about life beginning. SOMETHING had to make the first move. are we to believe that two inanimate objects just decided to join and live? i don't know, something is very strange. i am going to post a controversial topic about a purple man my brother and i used to see. look out for it.

hue-man

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 09:12 am
@TurboLung,
TurboLung;68547 wrote:
you know, i am not religious at all, but, the more i read into quantum theory, astronomy, biology etc, the only answer that makes any type of sense is that there is a creator. it may just be an easy way out, but, i can't see any other way out. think about life beginning. SOMETHING had to make the first move. are we to believe that two inanimate objects just decided to join and live? i don't know, something is very strange. i am going to post a controversial topic about a purple man my brother and i used to see. look out for it.

Your human psychology naturally leads you to believe that there is a pattern and a person who started that pattern. It's called fundamental attribution error in psychology. Feeling isn't knowing. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that "two inanimate objects decided to join and live", but I agree that the universe is very absurd.

xris

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:28 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;68549 wrote:
Your human psychology naturally leads you to believe that there is a pattern and a person who started that pattern. It's called fundamental attribution error in psychology. Feeling isn't knowing. I don't know what you're talking about when you say that "two inanimate objects decided to join and live", but I agree that the universe is very absurd.
Giving it a fancy name does not make it proved.If anyone chooses to see a creative force and a pattern to the universe its not necessarily an error but a diferent view, shared by many.I could point to many observed events that could be signs of an engineer or just another accident of the universe.I often wonder how those who believe in the strong determined universe can also be convinced atheists.When any proposed ethereal debate starts the atheists queue up to tell us its wishful thinking,it gets boring.

hue-man

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:42 am
@xris,
xris;68568 wrote:
Giving it a fancy name does not make it proved.If anyone chooses to see a creative force and a pattern to the universe its not necessarily an error but a diferent view, shared by many.

Xris, it's not just a fancy name, it's an academic term. You seem to be assuming that this error hasn't been verified, but it has. Fundamental Attribution Error is a psychological error where people see intent and purpose behind events that have no intent or purpose. This error can manifest itself as superstition or simply walking down the street, someone bumps you on the shoulder by mistake, and you see malicious intent behind the event. Human beings have this tendency because we are highly intelligent social animals who form complex societies based on the ability to see intent in other people's behavior. Applying this personhood and intent to nature is just an extreme example of the error.

xris;68568 wrote:
I often wonder how those who believe in the strong determined universe can also be convinced atheists.

Something can be determined by intent and purpose, or it can be determined by natural circumstances. The universe is determined by the latter.

xris

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 10:59 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;68572 wrote:
Xris, it's not just a fancy name, it's an academic term. You seem to be assuming that this error hasn't been verified, but it has. Fundamental Attribution Error is a psychological error where people see intent and purpose behind events that have no intent or purpose. This error can manifest itself as superstition or simply walking down the street, someone bumps you on the shoulder by mistake, and you see malicious intent behind the event. Human beings have this tendency because we are highly intelligent social animals who form complex societies based on the ability to see intent in other people's behavior. Applying this personhood and intent to nature is just an extreme example of the error.

Something can be determined by intent and purpose, or it can be determined by natural circumstances. The universe is determined by the latter.
Using the term and saying one persons delusions is everyone else's is abusing and using a fancy term out of context.What an amazing tool this phrase is, it can be used on any occasion to convince us of our failures.
Natural circumstances, well the BB has been resolved, its a natural event, well thats a months debate there.Everything that is, was conceived by natural causes at that singularity.
The formula for life that we can not reproduce,another months debate.
The exact location of the earth and its almost impossible precise distance from the sun and then the most incredible piece of luck a moon entered its orbit.The moon, exactly the right size and proportion to the earth, the sun ,the other planets.It comes down to fractions of miles the correlation.Yes its all an amazing coincidence but even in our logical world of law the idea of circumstantial evidence is considered.

Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:51 am
@xris,
What I think is correct:

If I were asked whether I believe in god or do not, I would say that I do not.

If I were asked if god is real, I would say I do not know.

If I were asked if god is possible, I would ask for a definition of him. If the definition was logically coherent I would say yes.

That is my position. I have not seen a deity, so I do not believe one exists, but I do not know that it does not so long as it is a being that is logically coherent. I would say that it might be possible Zeus exists, or Frigga, so I do not know if they are real. Since I have not interacted with them in any way that I know of, I can only say that they are logically possible.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:11:57