The mystery of G-D the Benevolent and the Garden of Eden

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Solace

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:09 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:

The delusion is not in the construction of the notion, or any notion, the delusion is in the profound emotion attached to the term. Emotion short-circuits the contemplation usually, causing dissonance, and creating an objective, personal hole which people choose to dive into in order to construct meaning.

Okay, this I completely agree with. But like the mod says at the top of the Religion section, emotions run high when it comes to this stuff. All that any of us can do is try to see past our emotions about the topic and to make sense of what others are saying. But ya, in this sense, I'm as delusional as anybody.

Solace

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:18 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
God is not abstract God is concrete, just reach out and touch your computer monitor and you will know this

I wasn't going to say anything about this at first, but now I think I will. And despite Zetherin's foretellings of doom due to emotional meltdown (j/k zeth) I'll try to keep emotion out of it.

God can be both abstract and concrete. Consider that you are daydreaming about a girl you like. Is the girl real or is she imaginary? Well, she is both. Is the real girl running around in your daydream? Of course not. Thus the girl in your daydream is not the real girl. But yet you are daydreaming about the real girl. Just because she is real doesn't mean that she isn't a fictional character running around in your daydream. And just because she is running around in your daydream doesn't mean she isn't real. So God, like the girl, can be both abstract and concrete.

(On a side note: Geez Zeth, when I don't put emotion into it I sound like I'm high...:flowers:)

Zetherin

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:25 pm
@Solace,
Haha, I didn't mean we should try to detract from any emotional stance, as this is obviously impossible - we are emotional creatures. It can just get a point where nothing else is considered because of the profound emotion we attach, and yes, as you note, all we can do is try to look past and stay mature. I think we see eye to eye now. :a-ok:

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin

[QUOTE]God is not abstract God is concrete, just reach out and touch your computer monitor and you will know this :perplexed: [/QUOTE]

My statement above read it again.

hey!!! how the heck can you perceive that as emotional and offensive, Gee and heck I must make more use of smileys as that was my sense of humor. :perplexed: :perplexed:

It is you that is getting hot under the collar for what reason I am baffled, please please explain :bigsmile:

Is it always necessary to post long profound deep philosophical logic, or is it not also OK to make a brief quote of summation

And I have no personal perception of what or who or were God really is, my guess on this infinite being might be way off just as anyone's else might be

Profound emotion , come on be real here, profound emotion is when you are sitting on the electric chair, not in a hopeful friendly forum of like thinkers

Lets be friends, not potential enemies

Alan

Quote:

And statements like this are why people take offense. I can already feel the profound emotion building by those that may or may not agree with Alan's notion of God. And it's not wrong that Alan shared his notion; I honestly just don't feel most people are mature enough to consider without being overly emotional

Zetherin

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 06:36 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan, you misunderstood me completely. The point was there was nothing offensive about what you said at all, but the profound emotion usually attached to "God" will render this. If you'd like, I can show you profound emotion dealing with "God", and it usually involves bloodshed (I'm not saying any of us are that extremist here, but what I am saying is that emotion can cloud logicality)

We are friends, and I hope you don't believe I was calling you in particular out, I wasn't. :Glasses:

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 03:32 pm
@Zetherin,
:deflated:Zetheren

Quote:
Alan, you misunderstood me completely. The point was there was nothing offensive about what you said at all, but the profound emotion usually attached to "God" will render this. If you'd like, I can show you profound emotion dealing with "God", and it usually involves bloodshed (I'm not saying any of us are that extremist here, but what I am saying is that emotion can cloud logicality)

We are friends, and I hope you don't believe I was calling you in particular out, I wasn't.

Oh ! am sorry and blush with embarrassment :bigsmile:

There is a religion that say they are a religion of peace and if you disagree they will kill you .

You mean idiots burning sweet old ladies on the stake, and other unspeakable acts of utter depravity, done it the name of God.

I could not agree with you more and will think a bit more carefully when I phrase something on the forum

Zetherin

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:22 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan,

In retrospect, I can see how unclear some of my posts are, so it's definitely not just your fault. I, too, am making a more conscious effort towards my phrasing.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:47:55