Where do you begin?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:29 am
@wayne,
wayne;158806 wrote:
What I mean by decent read is more about style, Say for instance Thoreau gets very literary, and I have to work extremely hard at that style to get much, not really cost productive for me. The value has to be very high for me to do that.
The quote you gave led me to believe he might write in a style I can get through ok. Don't know what makes some writng so difficult for me, it's odd, been reading since year 2. Must be a disability of sorts.

Yes, Thoreau is flowery, like Emerson. That's how they were those days. Wittgenstein is not flowery. He is aphoristic, and some are put off by that.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:37 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158799 wrote:
But if you are right, then a lot of what goes under the name of philosophy is not philosophy.

Which I frequently say, and frequently get flamed over, as you will have noticed.

I think there is a kernel of that understanding in traditional philosophy. Hence my interest in Christian Platonism and the idea of the perennial philosophy. I still see that particular aspect of Western philosophy as mainly concerned with pursuit of the good. But it is definitely a minority view. I accept that.

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158812 wrote:
Yes, Thoreau is flowery, like Emerson. That's how they were those days. Wittgenstein is not flowery. He is aphoristic, and some are put off by that.

I think I can deal with aphorism ok, just not Moby Dick.

I'm going to have to start ordering some books, do a little work at this.
I only recently learned that what I gravitate toward was philosophy. I owe that to my college age daughter who told me thats what they call the way I think. I thought I just thought too much.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:40 am
@Resha Caner,
still reckon Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is a classic. Theatetus mentioned he might start a reading group in it. I read it in 1976 and have forgotten most of it, but I am sure it had a major impact on me, and is very much in line with my conception of philosophy, from what I recall of it.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 08:42 PM ----------

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:44 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158820 wrote:
Which I frequently say, and frequently get flamed over, as you will have noticed.

I think there is a kernel of that understanding in traditional philosophy. Hence my interest in Christian Platonism and the idea of the perennial philosophy. I still see that particular aspect of Western philosophy as mainly concerned with pursuit of the good. But it is definitely a minority view. I accept that.

But, as I pointed out, a lot of philosophy has nothing to do with ethics, and Descartes, who most would categorize as a philosopher wrote hardly anything about ethics. And he was not alone. Quine is another. So if you mean that philosophy is all about ethics, whether yours is a minority view. I would not know, I have not counted, but it is certainly false. If it is a minority view (and, as I say, I have no idea) it certainly should be.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 06:45 AM ----------

wayne;158822 wrote:
I think I can deal with aphorism ok, just not Moby Dick.

I'm going to have to start ordering some books, do a little work at this.
I only recently learned that what I gravitate toward was philosophy. I owe that to my college age daughter who told me thats what they call the way I think. I thought I just thought too much.

Too bad about Moby Dick. You are missing a lot.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:49 am
@Resha Caner,
It is certainly false, is it? I believe that the idea of the pursuit of the real good is a perfectly sound foundation for philosophy. If Quine or you wish to pursue a different conception of philosophy, then go right ahead. As I have said many times before, many modern philosophers think the whole meaning of the subject lies in constructing bullet-proof sentences. Which is jejune.

wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 04:55 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158794 wrote:
Honest and spontaneous answer is that I think the main point of philosophy is to discover what is really good. We are after all offered all manner of things in the modern age, we can pursue all kinds of pleasures, occupations, careers, adventures, and diversions. Never before have so many been so free from the necessities of survival. And yet, so what? Most of what seems to occupy most people, most of the time, is jejune, transient, meaningless, unsatisfactory and unhealthy. So what is really good, what should we make an effort to understand or do? That is what drives me in philosophy. And I presume that this is actually the task of wisdom, to ask this question, and to learn to discriminate between truth and illusion. Life has never been more diverse, nor ever more full of illusion, in my view.

I like this. My mind just happened to be in this area. My self education has been a seat of the pants affair. My only direction has been seeking of the good, I didn't even realize that was philosophy until my daughter told me so about 3 years ago.
I use the term pirate on my banner to depict my seat of the pants style, I will board any ship I think might hold some treasure.

Your post really gave me a leg up on understanding my position.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 05:59 AM ----------

Hi Kenneth;
I read Moby Dick some many years ago, then slept for a week.
Maybe I should try it again, I remember "The Whiteness of the Whale" just about doing me in though.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:03 am
@Resha Caner,
Further to that, Kennethamy, I don't accept that philosophy has a single definition. It is a very broad term. There are secular and spiritual philosophers, nihilistic and idealistic philosophers, academic philosophers and wandering sages. You can't single out one authority and say philosophy consists of just this. What you're actually doing - you do this a lot - is to try and define it in terms of the game your good at, because your very good at your game, and then you will be in a much better position to feel you have Won the Argument.

Which is your definition of philosophy, from what I can see. And I am OK with that - up to a point.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:05 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158837 wrote:
It is certainly false, is it? I believe that the idea of the pursuit of the real good is a perfectly sound foundation for philosophy. If Quine or you wish to pursue a different conception of philosophy, then go right ahead. As I have said many times before, many modern philosophers think the whole meaning of the subject lies in constructing bullet-proof sentences. Which is jejune.

Descartes was not a modern philosopher. And neither was Leibniz, although he wrote very little on ethics too. To say that Descartes was not a philosopher because he did not write on ethics is to take a very narrow view of philosophy indeed. Do you think that a conception of philosophy that does not include Descartes' Meditations on First Philosophy is an adequate conception of philosophy? What you are doing is pushing a persuasive definition of "philosophy".

Persuasive Definitions: Using Definitions to Pesuade Others to Accept a Claim

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:08 am
@Resha Caner,
I didn't say Descartes was not a philosopher. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I will stick with my conception of philosophy as pursuit of the true good. There are many philosophers of great repute who would agree. Sure there are others who won't. I'll take my chances.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 10:21 PM ----------

kennethamy;158855 wrote:
Descartes was not a modern philosopher.

Actually that is an interesting statement, and worthy of an essay, which I am not going to attempt. But I think you could mount a very strong argument that Descartes was, if not the very first, then among the first philosophers of the modern era. Why? Because of Cartesian geometry. His combination of algebra and geometry actually laid the groundwork for the development of the mathematical function and eventually the algorithm. He also sought to ground all knowledge in the apodictic knowledge of his own experience, through the Cogito, rather than by appeal to the ancients, or to tradition. In fact, I think my very first Philosophy subject was 'Descartes and the origins of modern philosophy' or something very similar.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:31 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158856 wrote:
I didn't say Descartes was not a philosopher. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I will stick with my conception of philosophy as pursuit of the true good. There are many philosophers of great repute who would agree. Sure there are others who won't. I'll take my chances.

---------- Post added 05-01-2010 at 10:21 PM ----------

Actually that is an interesting statement, and worthy of an essay, which I am not going to attempt. But I think you could mount a very strong argument that Descartes was, if not the very first, then among the first philosophers of the modern era. Why? Because of Cartesian geometry. His combination of algebra and geometry actually laid the groundwork for the development of the mathematical function and eventually the algorithm. He also sought to ground all knowledge in the apodictic knowledge of his own experience, through the Cogito, rather than by appeal to the ancients, or to tradition. In fact, I think my very first Philosophy subject was 'Descartes and the origins of modern philosophy' or something very similar.

But if Descartes did not do ethics, and if all philosophers do ethics (and according to you, only ethics) then in follows that Descartes was not a philosopher. "We must follow the argument wherever it goes" Socrates (who, I think you will allow was a philosopher).

I don't see the relevance of your thesis what Descartes was the first modern philosophy. Most historians of philosophy say that Descartes was the "father of modern philosophy" or something of the kind. And whatever that means, I think that is true, or as nearly true as that kind of thing can be. But, even modern philosophers are still, philosophers, aren't they?

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:44 am
@Resha Caner,
Ken, I have simply said why I study philosophy and that I regard as is basically an ethical pursuit, and knowledge of the Good, very much in the sense that Plato understood it. I don't say that Quine and all the other modern academics don't do philosophy. But that is not what interests me about philosophy. I am interested in the subject, insofar as it is concerned with a clear understanding of what is good. You have a different understanding. I don't think your understanding is wrong. It is simply different. Why do you find that vexatious? Is it because you're a republican?

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;158904 wrote:
But if Descartes did not do ethics, and if all philosophers do ethics (and according to you, only ethics) then in follows that Descartes was not a philosopher. "We must follow the argument wherever it goes" Socrates (who, I think you will allow was a philosopher).

I don't see the relevance of your thesis what Descartes was the first modern philosophy. Most historians of philosophy say that Descartes was the "father of modern philosophy" or something of the kind. And whatever that means, I think that is true, or as nearly true as that kind of thing can be. But, even modern philosophers are still, philosophers, aren't they?

Analytic philosophy is the best. It is a game between wits.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:53 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158913 wrote:
Ken, I have simply said why I study philosophy and that I regard as is basically an ethical pursuit, and knowledge of the Good, very much in the sense that Plato understood it. I don't say that Quine and all the other modern academics don't do philosophy. But that is not what interests me about philosophy. I am interested in the subject, insofar as it is concerned with a clear understanding of what is good. You have a different understanding. I don't think your understanding is wrong. It is simply different. Why do you find that vexatious? Is it because you're a republican?

Actually, what you said is that philosophy is about discovering the good, You did not actually quantify that proposition, and I thought you meant that all philosophy, and not just some philosophy The philosophy Jeeprs likes to do) is about discovering the good. Since, in fact, that is only a part of philosophy, and not a major part, I am glad to see that all you meant was that some philosophy is about discovering the good. So now we are both clearer about the matter. Actually, it was natural to understand you as saying that all philosophy is about discovering the good. And, as we now see, that is false. For (a lot) of philosophy is not: e.g. metaphysics, epistemology, logic, and so on. So lets agree on the proposition that a part of philosophy is about discovering the good, but that a larger part of philosophy is not.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 06:57 am
@Resha Caner,
Well I guess I could go along with that. But to me that is the motivation and the organizing principle. I know there are huge areas of philosophy outside that. It is like a vast forest, containing plants of various kinds. As it happens, I am a bee. So I just look for the flowers. The thread asked, what brings you here? That is my answer.

Resha Caner

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:03 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;158669 wrote:
I've never tried to start from a point and build some grand philosophy. I expect most people haven't. Has that ever been done successfully? Generally I just think about things as I read about them or as they occur to me. I guess the beginning there is the English language and my experience of the world.

It depends what you mean by "successful." If you mean perfect, no. No human endeavor is ever perfect. I consider my own philosophy successful in that I am satisfied with the way it explains some very difficult questions ... but not everyone (if anyone) would find what I say convincing. So, I haven't tried to write it down. Further, it's not as if I've built something unique. Rather, it is an addition to existing constructs.

I remember something I read about conversations between Hawking and another physicist on whether the universe has a beginning. I think it was Hawking who was using the circle as an analogy to explain that the universe has no beginning. His rival pointed out that if he were to write that down, he would have to start drawing the circle somewhere. It's an interesting conumdrum.

Anyway, it sounds as if you begin with experience. Is that an "inward" thing that would contrast with what I concluded from kennethamy, i.e. "science" as an external thing? Or is it an interactive thing?

Twirlip

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:03 am
@Resha Caner,
Resha Caner;158395 wrote:
I assume most are familiar with the famous beginnings, the book of Genesis, Descartes' cogito ergo sum, etc.

I am curious where those in this forum begin (if they do). And in regard to that beginning, do you see it as an assumption, a tautology, an absolute truth, or something else?

In whom can I trust, by whom can I be judged, and how is it that I can trust my own judgement at all, as I must, if I am to judge whom to trust?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:09 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158923 wrote:
Well I guess I could go along with that. But to me that is the motivation and the organizing principle. I know there are huge areas of philosophy outside that. It is like a vast forest, containing plants of various kinds. As it happens, I am a bee. So I just look for the flowers. The thread asked, what brings you here? That is my answer.

But that is consistent with the proposition that I said we can both agree on, "Namely, that a large part of philosophy is not about ethics, but a smaller part is about ethics, and that you, Jeeprs, are interested in the smaller part, namely ethics, and not particular interested in other parts of philosophy. Nothing wrong with that, except, of course, I doubt very much that what you are interested in can be done independently of metaphysics, or epistemology, let alone, logic.

jeeprs

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:23 am
@Resha Caner,
But you can see we are looking at the subject from a different perspective. Yours is philosophy qua philosophy - philosophy as a subject. Mine is a quest for a particular quality or goal. It touches on some aspects of philosophy. It is not as if I believe that metaphysics or epistemology is not philosophy, but it only interests me insofar as it assists with understanding what is good. I would say, metaphysics has as its goal the understanding of what is good in everything - that is, I believe, perfectly orthodox platonism. Epistemology likewise - how do we know what is really good?

But a lot of academic and technical philosophy could not give a tinkers cuss for what I consider to be good. I suppose there are some moderns who do. I seek them out, and read them. (Never enough time for the reading I would like to do.) But as for a lot of what goes on in philosophy departments, it doesn't interest me, not because I think it is not philosophy, but it is not the philosophy that interests me.

TuringEquivalent

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 07:33 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;158941 wrote:
But you can see we are looking at the subject from a different perspective. Yours is philosophy qua philosophy - philosophy as a subject. Mine is a quest for a particular quality or goal. It touches on some aspects of philosophy. It is not as if I believe that metaphysics or epistemology is not philosophy, but it only interests me insofar as it assists with understanding what is good. I would say, metaphysics has as its goal the understanding of what is good in everything - that is, I believe, perfectly orthodox platonism. Epistemology likewise - how do we know what is really good?

But a lot of academic and technical philosophy could not give a tinkers cuss for what I consider to be good. I suppose there are some moderns who do. I seek them out, and read them. (Never enough time for the reading I would like to do.) But as for a lot of what goes on in philosophy departments, it doesn't interest me, not because I think it is not philosophy, but it is not the philosophy that interests me.

You have the wrong discipline, buddy. Analytic philosophy is more like a chess game.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:44:58