Reading Philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:21 pm
@Flamvell Rose,
Flamvell Rose;140640 wrote:
I have not read Kant previously, we started reading him in our philosophy class in regard to the subject, "How can I know what is right?"
But, thanks alot I'm going to try to take my time reading it. Smile

Since you have a teacher, you are in a position to be guided, and to ask questions. Take that opportunity. I am supposing that your teacher knows what he is talking about, of course.

Flamvell Rose

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:33 pm
@de Silentio,
kennethamy;140638 wrote:
How do you tell whether the ideas you put on paper mirror Kant's? It seems to me that a good place to ask would be this forum. It's not hard to tell whether a poster knows what he is talking about, or whether he is just making it up as he goes along. Of course, going to the two links I already posted would help too. That is, if you are really serious about wanting to know what Kant had to say.

Thank you for the links by the way Smile

Leonard

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:10 pm
@Flamvell Rose,
Read each school of philosophy chronologically by author and each author's works chronologically as well. It may be obvious, but it's easier to understand concepts discussed in previous works if you have already read those.

pondfish

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 02:37 pm
@Flamvell Rose,
Humans are fools. He tends to repeat his mistake often and flawlessly. Very Happy

de Silentio

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 08:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;140638 wrote:
How do you tell whether the ideas you put on paper mirror Kant's?

You make an effort to and in that effort one often realizes shortcomings in their understanding. Am I saying that this is the best method, not by any means. I merely said that it helps me to understand ideas. In addition, I believe this is something that is encouraged in academia, that is the point of writing papers.

Quote:
It seems to me that a good place to ask would be this forum.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes not. Personally, I find that the armchair philosophy done here differs greatly from academic philosophy.

pondfish

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 09:18 pm
@Flamvell Rose,
if you understand what i say , you will become instant philosopher better than any philosopher ever existed.

You may ask why not you become the one you talking about?.

Well i do not exist. You exist because you believe so. You manifest everything to make you feel sane. In reality all humans are insane in one perspective.

jgweed

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 08:33 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio;140636 wrote:

Like Ding_an_Sich suggested, the best method is to find a teacher or knowledgeable friend and have ongoing discussions. If this is not available, secondary research is your next best option.

Another thing that helps me is to try to regurgitate the ideas on to paper. This helps you see what you are missing and forces you to investigate the ideas further.

Secondary sources can help understanding the text in question; however, it is often useful and necessary to compare several different sources because interpretations will vary. A useful and object review can always be found in Copleston.

One of the most brilliant teachers of philosophy I knew was found of saying "well, well, well, you have to make your own notes." He made one class prepare a written outline of Kant's First Critique in lieu of a final exam. I have found this practice useful in understanding the text.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2010 09:52 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio;140769 wrote:
You make an effort to and in that effort one often realizes shortcomings in their understanding. Am I saying that this is the best method, not by any means. I merely said that it helps me to understand ideas. In addition, I believe this is something that is encouraged in academia, that is the point of writing papers.

Sometimes yes, and sometimes not. Personally, I find that the armchair philosophy done here differs greatly from academic philosophy.

One should always make an effort, but that does not answer my question.

Some of it does differ from academic philosophy, and some of it is academic philosophy.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:02:00