The Problem with Philosophy

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » The Problem with Philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:26 pm
I've been thinking about this lately after my own experience with it...

I've noticed that philosophy can create some disappointed expectations for people. One reason why people study it, is to gain the wisdom to live more happily. We think to ourselves, "If I think this way, or if I believe this, or if I see how my existence fits into the Universe, I'll be happy." This is no different, really, than say "If I had more money, or a bigger home, I'd be happy."

We tend to think that wisdom will allow us to escape from sorrow. The truth is, though, that no matter how much logic, reason, and justification you attach to a situation, none of that will affect how it makes you feel.

One can elaborate on all the reason's why, for example, his mother died, and he might even convince himself that it was for the best, but it won't alleviate his suffering, not really.

ughaibu

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:28 pm
@dharma bum,
Isn't that a problem with expectations, rather than with philosophy?

Diogenes phil

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:38 pm
@dharma bum,
A philosopher should not be biased; morals and ethics belong not in the minds of men, unlessing morality and ethics are what you are intending on arguing in the first place.

Philosophy examines what we have currently, and what we don't have, and then it contrasts those two things. The goal of philosophy is to attain a higher understanding of oneself and of everything around them, which requires a mundane amount of disappointment. That is why philosophy is probably man's worst enemy, we suffice with solace in the self-denigration of our world.

Only a fool would pursue philosophical matters. Questioning things that never were and never meant to be would be something only a fool would partake in. Which is why I love it even more.

Humanity

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:13 am
@Diogenes phil,
I think it is a problem with the person rather than with philosophy itself.
Life is a constant 'problem' but that should not be a problem if you apply philosophy correctly.

Philosophy, an evolutionary drive, is the development of wisdom (knowledge & effective experience) to resolve problems.
That would include how to handle the problem of unresolved problems or impossible to solve problems.

Philosophy (not academic) should not be problematic if you understand what it is and how it should be developed and practiced.

In addition to the various sub-goals of philosophy, a control feedback loopshould be included in the main and sub-processes.
If your expectations are not met, then your control feedback loop should prompt you to review your objectives and the processes for changes and critical monitoring.

After going through the feedback loop 100, 1000 or 100,000 times where and if necessary, you would likely to get somewhere and confident that you know thyselfand philosophy.

jeeprs

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 02:48 am
@dharma bum,
dharma_bum;138505 wrote:
I've noticed that philosophy can create some disappointed expectations for people. One reason why people study it, is to gain the wisdom to live more happily. We think to ourselves, "If I think this way, or if I believe this, or if I see how my existence fits into the Universe, I'll be happy." This is no different, really, than say "If I had more money, or a bigger home, I'd be happy."

I think what you're describing is only the beginning of philosophy, not the end of it. You are saying that the subject has been approached with certain expectations, and they didn't work out. Well that is part of what it takes to learn the practical discipline. Any philosophy worth its salt ought to be able to deal with disappointment.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » The Problem with Philosophy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:36:37