Can a bad person be a philosopher?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:30 am
@kennethamy,
:detective:Can a bad person understand the law and be a good judge?
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:51 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;127438 wrote:
A bad person can be a philosopher but a bad person cannot be a wise person.


Please mention that to the admirers of Heidegger. Have you read the OP of this thread? This thread originated in a recent book on Heidegger. Take a look at it.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:06 am
@kennethamy,
Deckard wrote:

A bad person can be a philosopher but a bad person cannot be a wise person.


Why is that? What does wise have to do with being bad or good?
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:09 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;127463 wrote:
Why is that? What does wise have to do with being bad or good?


I guess you are right. Gangsters were called "wiseguys". I don't know. Apparently some people think they are connected.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:35 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127464 wrote:
I guess you are right. Gangsters were called "wiseguys". I don't know. Apparently some people think they are connected.


Even if we say that a wise person is one who can discern or judge what is right, why is this limited to only good people? In fact, Satan, the epitome of evil, had the Bible and other good testaments memorized and was able to judge what was right. He just decided to be evil.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:38 am
@Fido,
Fido;127444 wrote:
What makes bad people bad is the inability to love, and without love there is no philosophy...

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 10:03 AM ----------

Wisdom is the chief of all the virtues, not because people do good out of knowledge, but because all do evil out of ignorance...
Sorry if is a banable offence, but you sir are delusional.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:46 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127475 wrote:
Sorry if is a banable offence, but you sir are delusional.


I don't think that being delusional is a bannable offense. It obviously is not.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:54 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127479 wrote:
I don't think that being delusional is a bannable offense. It obviously is not.
I was merely refeeing to the act of accusation.
 
Pepijn Sweep
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
I think most evil is done out of fear of not reaching your ideals. Then people will do anything to get what they want. Financial fraude, legal fraude and even War.

Wisdom in the streets is important. Anima and animo are like brother and sister.
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:57 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127482 wrote:
I was merely refeeing to the act of accusation.


We recommend refraining from petty insults and encourage good argument.

You're not going to be banned for saying what you said. I do hope that you'll elaborate as to why you think he is delusional. Stating he is delusional and not explaining yourself, doesn't help to enlighten viewers.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:05 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;127485 wrote:
We recommend refraining from petty insults and encourage good argument.

You're not going to be banned for saying what you said. I do hope that you'll elaborate as to why you think he is delusional. Stating he is delusional and not explaining yourself, doesn't help to enlighten viewers.
I will, but please give me time to let my fustration subside and thereby gain the ability to produce better objective answer.

---------- Post added 02-12-2010 at 07:12 PM ----------

Categorizing people into good or bad is extreme naivity or just as bad extreme ignorence. What the enlightend should do is categorizing them by psycology terms, psycotic, skitzofrenic ..etc.

To say "What makes bad people bad is the inability to love, and without love there is no philosophy..." Erotomans can be bad people and by definition has the ability to love, never have I heard they'r unable to philosophise.
Nor have I ever heard about in sience of psycology that psycopaths or skitzofrenics are unable to philosophise, quite the contrary. They are just haveing distorted thoughts, hench their definion of mentally ill.

Also if you look at decades of crime investigation in USA their profiling of criminals, there are no evidence of lack of philosophy or lack of love.

Under the Vietnam war a good study of intelligences began, establishing 9 major intelligences (later expanded to 12 ..etc) Brain damaged casualties was studied, it clearly proved intelligence are working individually from eachother. Playing perfect piano, while being unable to compute 2+2, so on and so forth.

So in essence, the one has nothing to do with the other.
 
Twirlip
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 04:42 pm
@Zetherin,
Quote:
We recommend refraining from petty insults and encourage good argument.
Ah, but what is a good argument (q.v.)? :shifty:
 
Zetherin
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:34 pm
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;127672 wrote:
Ah, but what is a good argument (q.v.)? :shifty:


Well, for one, it is an argument that is not bad.

:drinking:
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:01 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;127711 wrote:
Well, for one, it is an argument that is not bad.

:drinking:
The one that leads to success.
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:07 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127722 wrote:
The one that leads to success.


And success would be?
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127724 wrote:
And success would be?
To have the intention of the argument forfilled.
 
Fido
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:37 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127722 wrote:
The one that leads to success.

How bout truth???
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:27 pm
@Fido,
Fido;127748 wrote:
How bout truth???
Truth, what truth? Too many demagogues in this world to have truth.
Truth is like chasing a rainbow, an illusion for the naive.
 
Fido
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:49 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;127754 wrote:
Truth, what truth? Too many demagogues in this world to have truth.
Truth is like chasing a rainbow, an illusion for the naive.

Well sure; but it is nice to have an approximate goal if no other is available.
 
HexHammer
 
Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido;127761 wrote:
Well sure; but it is nice to have an approximate goal if no other is available.
Would be like begging demagogues to pull your legs, no thanks.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:46:19