Dromon: Introducing myself

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Dromon: Introducing myself

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

dromon

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:09 pm
Hello...

Thanks for the warm "welcome" message...
Thanks to the people who have the idea (and make it happen) of this forum...
As you may understand, I am not a native speaker of the English language, so maybe I will have some difficulties to be precice presenting my thoughts...
Allow me to count on your help.

FatalMuse

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
@dromon,
Welcome Dromon! Your message was perfectly readable for me. It is good to have members for whom English is not their native language, as different languages come with different perspectives. The members here are friendly and patient, so I'm sure you'll get on fine and receive any help with language should you need any.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 07:48 pm
@FatalMuse,
Welcome to the forums.

Looks like your English is very good.

Justin

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
@dromon,
Welcome Dromon! Thank you for the intro and I'm sure you'll find some great discussion in here. We're a non-hostile forum that is in working practice of social philosophy and practice to communicate without beating each other down. We have a large International membership and audience so I'm certain you'll fit right in.

Thanks again for joining and look for your posts in the forum.

boagie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 08:44 pm
@dromon,
Dromon,

Welcome dromon to the forum, this is a meaning to please crowd so you can count on aid if you indeed need any, your english sounds pretty good. Settle in and make yourself comfortable, glad to have you on board!! boagie

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:47 pm
@boagie,
Dromon, your English seems to be far better than most native English speakers. Welcome to the forum.

dromon

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:06 am
@Theaetetus,
It's obvious that forum's "essence" has to do with the presence of good will, respect, positiveness, intellect, thirst for everything is not worthless and with the absence of ... the opposite!

Thanks for the comments about the language, yet the difficulty seems to appear when I have to use advanced vocabulary and more complex thoughts... In that case I doubt if I use the proper word or syntax...
For example:
(copy from my Macbook dictionary)
Philosophy: the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, esp. when considered as an academic discipline.
ORIGIN Middle English: from Old French philosophie, via Latin from Greek philosophia: Love of wisdom. (end of copy)
So in my native language this particular (and who knows how many other words) have a more or less different meaning than the one in English...
There is an ancient Greek proverb that says:
"The cornerstone of wisdom is the visit (acquire the knowledge of the meaning) of the words"
So I have to make many "visits" to words, in order to avoid misunderstanding.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Dromon: Introducing myself
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 01:18:15