Disrespect of philosophy

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Aedes

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2009 08:46 pm
@UnMechanics,
Plato would be pissed by a lot more than that... I sometimes wonder if his Republic was meant to be ironic; he might have realized that a utopia resulting from his philosophies would be a horrible place.

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 12:14 am
@xris,
Philosophy is intelligence in the process of masturbation. :bigsmile:

Or, a monkey with too much time on its hands...

I suppose the goal of my philosophy is to abolish philosophy, odd as that sounds. No need for reflection in the Bright Noon. :cool:

Ola

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:26 am
@UnMechanics,
Philosophy is King.

Math, physics, psychology - all derivatives of Philosophy.

factor/dividend <=> factor/divisor = Sum (product/quotient)

When it comes to learning I say that science try to figure out the Formula from reality (experience/try and error).
Philosophy try to figure out the Formula from reasoning/theorising.
Or
Science try to figure out the Equation from the Sum.
Philosophy try to figure out the Equation and the Sum from logic - deductive reasoning.

It would be just awful if all types weren't used.

Many think cash is King. They might be right.
You can make money from doing Philosophy. But it is very hard.
We live in a capitalist society - Philosophy considers gold to be just another yellow metal = Philosophy has no place/don't fit.
Math is now slowly going down the same way Philosophy has (popularity).
Can't end well.

hue-man

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2009 09:20 am
@UnMechanics,
UnMechanics wrote:
Okay I am sure I am not the only person here who has faced some prejudice about philosophy. Many people say to me it's just about issues not have no real life implications and is for people who have too much time on their hands. There are also those who believe that the study of the subject teaches you important skills but don't appreciate the subject itself.

Now many people seem to engage in active philosophical debates or arguments generally in ethics and don't feel it's useless or will find thought experiments very interesting but when announced to be philosophy become hostile about it.

I'd like to see what you all feel about this view of philosophy many people have...

I feel it is foolish as philosophy is just another way of seeking truth and is willing and able to tackle questions that many find to fundamental to question, we must seek truth in all forms.

Philosophy is the most fundamental of all of the fields. It is the foundation of every field of thought, from the sciences to the humanities. All human beings philosophize at some time in their lives. However, a common person who philosophizes from time to time is not the same as a practicing philosopher. For practicing philosophers like ourselves, philosophy is a lifestyle. We actively live the examined life, and we don't need all of the time in the world to do it, but we do need enough free time. I believe that people who don't respect philosophy don't fully understand what philosophy is.

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:03 am
@UnMechanics,
UnMechanics;37305 wrote:
Okay I am sure I am not the only person here who has faced some prejudice about philosophy. Many people say to me it's just about issues not have no real life implications and is for people who have too much time on their hands.

I'm sure plenty of people could take at least one hour out of their daily TV watching budget to think about practical philosophical issues like: "Why shouldn't I make the planet unlivable with my shallow consumerist habits?"

Maybe there are some who live up to an idle, starry-eyed stereotype of people who call themselves "philosophers" nowadays, but if the sample I have taken through living is representative, most are steely-eyed realists, perhaps even cynical, a hell of a lot wiser than the population at large.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 06:19 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;66513 wrote:
I'm sure plenty of people could take at least one hour out of their daily TV watching budget to think about practical philosophical issues like: "Why shouldn't I make the planet unlivable with my shallow consumerist habits?"

I am not sure why you call that a philosophical issue, nor why you say it is a practical issue whatever kind of issue you call it. It seems to me very impractical. I really can't see how what I, myself, do, could have any practical effect on the livability of this planet, do you?

odenskrigare

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2009 01:17 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;66614 wrote:
I am not sure why you call that a philosophical issue, nor why you say it is a practical issue whatever kind of issue you call it. It seems to me very impractical. I really can't see how what I, myself, do, could have any practical effect on the livability of this planet, do you?

Yes, easy, don't waste, recycle, etc.

Paggos

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 11:17 pm
@UnMechanics,
Philosophy is an art, and like any art, it will get criticized. Peoples ignorant bashing isn't a treat, if it's valid it can open new doors for you. Philosophy should be used as a reference for your own ideals, you shouldn't really use others fully, you should pick and choose what you think is right. Philosophy can learn you communication skills, along with valid argumentative skills; reason shall prosper, but ignorance will still survive.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:58:57