Philosophical underpinnings

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » Philosophical underpinnings

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 02:46 pm
When considering nearly any academic field, I have found that it all boils down to two components; philosophy and mathematics, in the widest sense. Some fields may mainly or wholly disclude mathematics, but it seems that mathematics, pure mathematics, shows explicitly its ties to philosophical inquiry. Indeed, there have been numerous attempts at drawing the connection between mathematics and logic, most notably the Hilbert programme. These attempts have failed thanks to the insights of Kurt Godel among others, though many new attempts are still being made. It is, for instance, still of import to philosophy to ask what is a number;Frege was one of the first to offer a critial treatment of numbers, however his efforts generally failed, not that they did not yeild intersting results and some definite lasting contributions.

On might be tempted here to ask what philosophy is, that is is so far reaching, but this is a very broad question. Perhaps first we should query as to its function, i.e.What does philosophy do? What has it done? What has it yielded? We see its tendrils reaching across nearly every discipine whether or not it is widely acknowledged(for instance Feynman's strong dislike of philosophy dispite its absolute connection to physics). Indeed the scientific method itself has certain philosophical tennents, especially since logic has now been lumped into the realm of philosophy.

Philosophy has often been utilized in redirecting work in a discipline, in shedding light on what should be done with the work, in showing the consequences of actions, in creating systems of government, in psychology, computer sicence(totally contingent upon the development of binary logic which is a subfield of a field of a branch of philosophy). Philosophy has been applied at some point or other to nearly every aspect of consideration, adapting to include any object which might be considered. Perhaps we might consider philosophy the Art of Consideration. Perhaps not.

Let us examine here the effects of philosophy, the extent of its influence and the circumstances of its absence,i.e. when is philosophy not involved?

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 03:14 pm
@Zetetic11235,
You could say the same thing about chemistry. Everything is chemistry!

This forum I think will start off dedicated to what is philosophy, because that is the truth we try to obtain from philosophy.

I have already asked why philosophy in a thread which might be better suited here.

I believe that in the end this forum can be seen as 6 true thread. Who what when where why and how. Actually now that I think about it everything can. Laughing

The effects of philosophy vary for different people. It requires a certain prudence which everybody has at least some of, but when applied, many different effects.

I have noticed that philosophy can lead to depression, perhaps the awareness it evokes, I am not sure other than the definite link. Too me it is not a skill other than applying insights.

I think we need some philosophy because it promotes intellect as demonstrated on this forum countless times. But also, for some, it can develop an abstract way of thinking, as you'll've all seen. For example look closely at that word I made up you'll've. Laughing (this is when philosophy gets stupid). But nonetheless, can that word actually exist and be 'proper'?

Philosophy also makes the world look smaller for me anyways. Things that I used to enjoy are no longer needed or wanted. I don't know if this is maturity or what, but its like realization or something.

Philosophy has brought about ways of thinking which account for new equations, new scientific theories, etc.

Zetetic11235

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2008 03:45 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Is particle physics chemistry? Or is chemistry particle physics? I would say that if either one is true it would be the latter, but it is not neccessarily so.

I would have to assume that you are at least coming at this from the aspect that the mind is chemical and made of matter, so from physicalism. This would perhaps work for physics, but not chemistry, since chemistry is in a sense a subfield of physics. Chemistry utilizes physics;e.g. physical chemistry utilizes quantum mechanics, however, physics does not neccessarily utilize chemistry. In fact, physics describes chemistry. Physics describes the interaciton of particles and it describes the particles themselves. It describes the interaction of all physical objects, or at least it attempts to. It is generally considered to be the case that chemistry is a branch of physics, which is in turn the primary science. Physics, however, could be considered a synthesis of mathematics and empiricism in a sense. When it comes down to it, it is all about showing how everything is related insofar as man can experience it. That is science, philosophy, and mathematics in a nutshell.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » MetaPhilosophy
  3. » Philosophical underpinnings
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:13:43