Why does certain music make us feel certain concrete emotions?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Why does certain music make us feel certain concrete emotions?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:11 am
I'm currently undertaking the task of writing a paper for school that has to be 12 pages long, and I think this is the question that I'm going to focus on. I have always immersed my life in music, and I love all types, but the types of music I listen to always depends on my mood. I've found that this holds true for most people and I've never really questioned until now why this is. What is it about certain sounds that strikes a chord (pun Razz) in our hearts? Why does the heavy chugging of a death metal guitar invoke anger, while the carefree strumming of a ukulele creates a laid back mindset? Surely, some of the explanation comes from the fact that certain sounds and musical styles are linked to certain stereotypes (i.e. reggae = islands, people who enjoy the islands enjoy reggae). But what of the types of music that don't hold a mental tie such as this? What about the different genres of music that were pioneered in western culture and aren't regionally specific? Genres such as classic rock, techno, and folk music. What links these styles of music with certain emotions?!

prothero

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 12:23 am
@Karpowich,
The little chill that runs up your spine, because just for a moment your soul can glimpse and remember, its origins (the true, the beautiful and the good). Art (including music) speaks directly to the truth of human experience and that is its power, a message beyond words.

DAC

Reply Sun 30 May, 2010 01:53 am
@Karpowich,
Well that's a very interesting question and one that science dose not have any real answer for but is starting to look at. I have read one or two blogs on the subject recently and it seams we don't really know which one came first language or music or if they are the same or what music is for and why do people make music.

Good question to get school children interested in science and music

HexHammer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 07:18 pm
@Karpowich,
Tbh, I havn't studied this much, but for what I know it's all about mental stimulation, just as visual stimulation can provoke feelings, depression, sorrow, happiness or extacy ..etc.

Music/sound can be associated to certain feelings or unmotivated provoke feelings just as words and it's emphasis can provoke feelings and emotions.
We can distinct if someone just says FU in jest, or are serious and wants to degrade us.

Orange Hood

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 04:45 pm
@Karpowich,
To a certain extent I think we associate certain types of music with certain emotions as a result of conditioning. It's sort of like Pavlov's dog where a dog was trained to associate the sound of a ringing bell with feeding time. In this case we assign sounds emotional qualities. Also some music may remind us of the physical sensations of an emotion for example the high tempo of angry music could be seen as reminiscent of a high heart beat. This is, of course, speculation on my part and I am sure there are other explanations.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Why does certain music make us feel certain concrete emotions?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:38:20