What Defines Art?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

JPhil

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:57 am
@Fido,
Fido;9780 wrote:
Art is not subjective, but subject, and good art is worthy subject and skill. Artists do not find meaning, but shine a light on meaning, and not all subjects have a special significance. Just as in poetry, it is not the common place we are attracted to, but the noble, because we each percieve our own nobility. All we make art, is a reflection of humanity. Every art is a lense that can become a mirror. We look through art and see ourselves.

Then art just meaningless. I think artist do have a reason for what they do, eben if noone like it or not.

---------- Post added 03-20-2010 at 12:00 PM ----------

Fido;9781 wrote:
Love makes all the difference in life. From start to finish you are dead without love. And no one loves the dead. People honor the dead, bury them or let them lie. But no one loves the dead, and the dead love no one.

The dead can't love anyway, they are dead. Besides that, not every art is about love, I'm sure there is some art that is based on some part in hatred. It msy be based in the artist hatred to something, but the artist loves his painting.

sjk

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:26 am
@Lore,
see Tolstoy thread

Reconstructo

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 03:30 pm
@Lore,
It seems like a piece of art is anything that is framed and presented as art. And this frame can be empty. The frame itself can be framed, if only by words. The black painting in its recurrent forms is something like the 0. Does art also have a sort of logical core? Is the essence of an art work that same as its unity?

sometime sun

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 04:59 pm
@Reconstructo,
You can find some of my thoughts on the subject here,
Philosophy Forum - Art in today's society

Join the group, we are all artists.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:47:20