The Science of Annoying Music

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » The Science of Annoying Music

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 02:30 pm
Has science created the most annoying song ever?

MP3: Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever | Listening Post

Are songs created to be Ugly Beautiful in their own right?
What is the Aesthetic of Ugly?

I remember my dad and grandparents listening to songs very similar to some in this mash up and loving them. In fact i love some of those styles because of it. I know Emo and Goth kids who swear that there is beauty in death and gore. I know people who are seriously attracted to morbidly obese partners etc...

Elmud

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 07:19 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;66591 wrote:
Has science created the most annoying song ever?

MP3: Scientific Attempt To Create Most Annoying Song Ever | Listening Post

Are songs created to be Ugly Beautiful in their own right?
What is the Aesthetic of Ugly?

I remember my dad and grandparents listening to songs very similar to some in this mash up and loving them. In fact i love some of those styles because of it. I know Emo and Goth kids who swear that there is beauty in death and gore. I know people who are seriously attracted to morbidly obese partners etc...

Gosh, I am going to assume that you are not a Lawrence Welk Fan then?

Theaetetus

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:09 pm
@GoshisDead,
Hasn't the most annoying song been solved by either T-Pain or Kanye West. The introduction of auto-tune into the American music lexicon even trumps that wonderful song "My Hump."

aeris ac

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:51 am
@GoshisDead,
Terribly subjective this
Being very frank, (for the song on the above mentioned link) on a scale of annoyance (1- least, 10-most annoying) i would only give it like a 4, but i'd give most shakira songs i've heard something like 9.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:35 pm
@aeris ac,
There's nothing wrong with auto-tune, only wrong ways to use auto-tune.

Joe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:55 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Im not a fan of autotune at all. But Kanye did a song called "Paranoid" and I actually dont mind it that much. This is the only song with autotune that grabbed my ears. Plus the video is interesting. Other then that it seems like a crutch.

YouTube - Kanye West ft Rihanna Paranoid Final Version HQ

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm
@GoshisDead,
Could you imagine if there was auto tune back in the early days of Dylan and Neil Young? We would probably have long forgotten about them or never ever heard of them.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 10:29 am
@Theaetetus,
Assuming that those artists were, instead of brilliant artists, idiots.

Again, auto-tune alone cannot be a bad thing. It's simply an effect. But any effect can be awful if used improperly.

Reminds me of the anti-Pro-Tools arguments. But Lenny Kravitz said something smart, "If Jimi Hendrix was alive, he would have invented pro-tools".

A shovel is awful if used to kill someone, but if you're digging a hole in the garden, it's a great tool to use.

Labyrinth

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 09:22 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Songs in themselves don't have a wide varying in degree of annoyance for myself personally. I don't know how others agree or disagree to this. I feel the main factor determining level of annoyance is number of unwilling repeated listenings of a single song. The songs I hear at work (there is a repeated queue playing all day and I work 12 hour shifts) surpass any other song in annoyance level hands down. The most annoying by far is this song about a guy who pathetically begs a girl to "save the last dance for" him and to "remember who's taking her home." This song makes me want to gag and bind him to a chair near a CD player playing his own song in perpetual repeat.

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;69779 wrote:
Hasn't the most annoying song been solved by either T-Pain or Kanye West. The introduction of auto-tune into the American music lexicon even trumps that wonderful song "My Hump."

But without autotune there couldn't be Autoune the News!

YouTube - Auto-Tune the News #2: pirates. drugs. gay marriage.

Serena phil

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:27 am
@GoshisDead,
What's "annoying" or "ugly" is all in the mind of the beholder. I'm not sure if science has much part in this.

melonkali

Reply Mon 28 Sep, 2009 08:24 pm
@GoshisDead,
Oh, my side still hurts from laughing so hard... The dying bagpipe, the cowboy tuba backing the opera singer, the new age flute, the singalong at the end, so many great parts. I haven't enjoyed musical comedy so much since I first heard P.D.Q. Bach's "Iphigenia in Brooklyn". Many thanks.

BTW: Here's a link to a video of the PDQ Bach cantata "Iphigenia in Brooklyn" -- actually just the song played over still shots. The video leaves out the intro where the conductor explains that PDQ was not the first composer to write for double reeds, but PDQ was the first to do so without the use of oboes and bassoons.

Also, visually, in the concert one sees that when the featured trumpet player opens his instrument case, he has the mouthpiece but no trumpet to attach it to. And finally, the guy tooting the wine-bottle keeps drinking the wine, so the laugh from the audience toward the end, when he attempts to play, is due to his falling sideways off the chair.

YouTube - Iphigenia in Brooklyn P.D.Q. BACH

Thanks again for the laugh. Sorry, but not annoying at all -- delightful!

rebecca

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2009 05:47 pm
@GoshisDead,
I think there are clear mathematical patterns in the sounds we enjoy as music. Examine the frequency ratios in octaves, fifths, and fourths.

If a frequency is doubled, that's a octave. We experience it as the same note, just an "octave" higher. That the seven natural notes repeat is strange.

amist

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:33 am
@GoshisDead,
I think I need to see a psychiatrist, I just can't stop laughing at this, and was never really turned off at any point of it.

mister kitten

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 12:12 pm
@GoshisDead,
Songs turn annoying when they are played repetitively, in my opinion.

DAC

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 10:43 am
@GoshisDead,
My sister did a project at university where they had to listen to Michael Jackson's Beat It and a piece by Cornelius Cardew repetitively for two weeks every ones view change from liking Michael Jackson to liking Cornelius Cardew YouTube - CARDEW ?Piano Sonata no.3?pt.1

I think time and complexity changes are liking of music

chad3006

Reply Tue 11 May, 2010 11:41 am
@GoshisDead,
Those aren't so bad. Try this one.

YouTube - Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » The Science of Annoying Music
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 09:23:44