Hello from a Rational Animal (sort of...)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from a Rational Animal (sort of...)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 06:38 pm
Hello, All,

Wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I teach history and philosophy, though through a circuitous route I came into philosophy after finishing graduate studies in history. I began as a historian of the Middle Ages, progressed through my interests to Early Modern Europe, where I met a fellow named Camus, who changed how I viewed history and put philosophy in a new light.

Through Camus, I progressed (regressed?) to Kierkegaard, Ortega-y-Gassett and Unamuno, to Heidegger and Sartre, to William James. I begin each morning with Augustine's injunction that "I don't know what I don't know," and thus I begin. My interests now have branched into Psychology and its philosophic under-pinnings, particularly via Martin Buber, Adler, Rollo May, et al.

Currently (and the wind could certainly change) I hold William James to be a particularly penetrating mind.

Thanks, and I look forward to chatting with y'all.

Oh, that's Rob Zombie on the avatar. I'd like to think he's contemplating the universe...

Cheers!

Pythagorean

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:27 pm
@Passer Outre,
Hello! Interesting list of philosophers and a great avatar, glad you joined the forums!

Justin

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 07:19 pm
@Passer Outre,
Yes indeed, welcome to the Philosophy Forum. Please do feel free to make yourself at home.

boagie

Reply Thu 8 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
@Justin,
Passer Outre,

A breath of fresh air!! Welcome!!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hello from a Rational Animal (sort of...)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 12:22:47