Books on Philosophy of Art

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Books on Philosophy of Art

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 07:34 pm
... I've read Kirwan's "Sublimity" and "Beauty", am currently working my way through Schopenhauer's third book of "The World as Will and Representation", and Dewey's "Art as Experience" is on my to-read shelf ... are there any other books related to the philosophy of art that are must-reads? ...

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 08:39 pm
@paulhanke,
I thought Hegel's "Introductory Lectures on Aesthetics" was good. I might have liked to introduction as much as the book. He traces man's self-consciousness from cave paintings on.

To draw an ox is to create a visual abstraction. It's not a particular ox, but a general ox, the idea of an ox. Man the artist accumulates ideas this way until he figures out that the way to paint the idea of ideas is to paint himself, man the artist. I liked this line of thought in the book. The book also looks into the irony of the Schlegels, which Hegel sets himself against. Well, maybe the Schlegel's were ahead of them there. (Nobody likes a smart as?)

sjk

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2010 08:52 am
@paulhanke,
Tolstoy's book 'What is art?' is very useful as an objection to the conventional views at the time. he pays a bit too much attention to the importance of religion, but gives a useful alternative definition of art that escapes objective beauty.

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:58 pm
@sjk,
sjk;143994 wrote:
Tolstoy's book 'What is art?' is very useful as an objection to the conventional views at the time. he pays a bit too much attention to the importance of religion, but gives a useful alternative definition of art that escapes objective beauty.

It is an exciting book. But Tolstoy is, in much of this book, a hater. What a strange man!

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Books on Philosophy of Art
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:27:44