Art as Torture

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Art as Torture

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 03:46 pm
Not sure this warrants a lot of discussion but it sure is interesting.

The Torture Rooms of The Spanish Civil War

Jebediah

Reply Tue 19 Jan, 2010 04:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
Laughing

That's kind of how I feel about it...funny, anyway.

AdventavitAsinus

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 01:25 pm
@Jebediah,
I do not understand why it would seem at all bizarre that individuals indeed do, have radical emotional and thus, physical reactions to certain stimulus, especially in this case - sight. Out of my personal experience I am made very uncomfortable by many forms of what would be considered, 'modern art'. I enjoy the Romantics and Classics yet boarding someone up in a room full of Monet, and Van Gogh would probably allow for a modest reaction, if any, to occur - and one would probably assume that this reaction would be calming. Contrary to this, throwing someone in a room full of images of death and decadence would clearly produce a different effect...

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Isn't all of this rather obvious?

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 01:34 pm
@AdventavitAsinus,
This was posted mostly for entertainment's sake. but if you would like to start a discussion, that's cool as well. I agree, it is not far fetched as to the reason why the cells are torture cells. I am still musing over the style. Seems to me an aweful lot of work to accomplish something that has been done effectlivly with much less pinache for eons.

AdventavitAsinus

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 01:50 pm
@GoshisDead,
Well, combine uncomfortable aesthetics with a nice handful of other torture methods and you've got yourself quite the equation for insanity. Its like pouring salt in the open wounds of a gash opened by whip.

Effective.. yes
Necessary.. I'd still say so

-Alexander Eliot

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 02:14 pm
@AdventavitAsinus,
You would say it is necessary to stylize a torture method? Why is that? You think a Kubrik sort of dungeon would be more effective than the standard atark/dank?

I guess they both have their uses. Stark and dank makes one feel forgotten, the other makes one feel who knows.

Jebediah

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 03:06 pm
@GoshisDead,
I would think bright light + white noise would be as effective (sleep deprivation/stress).

Caroline

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 03:19 pm
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;122513 wrote:
I would think bright light + white noise would be as effective (sleep deprivation/stress).
Actually white noise has been known to be used on prisoners of war via the radio resulting in high levels of stress.

AdventavitAsinus

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 03:59 pm
@Caroline,
"You would say it is necessary to stylize a torture method? Why is that? You think a Kubrik sort of dungeon would be more effective than the standard atark/dank?"

I hate to be advocating any type of torture yet I do feel that mental collapse, the real idea of torture, comes around much more quickly when one is completely surrounded by elements they find well... confusing (off shades, bizarre patterns, etc)

Combined with the pure element of regulated torture (those things we're only told about), I feel as though any secondary aesthetic abuse would catalyze the effects, rather quickly in fact.

But then again it surely has to involve the individual - I happen to like the chaotically surreal.

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:06 pm
@AdventavitAsinus,
Maybe we should advise Guantanamo about our conversation.

AdventavitAsinus

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 05:46 pm
@GoshisDead,
I second that,

Well actually, are we really going to start talking about whether or not we support torture here?

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 25 Jan, 2010 06:24 pm
@AdventavitAsinus,
I think that would be counter productive to the intent of the post. The post was about how art can be used as torture not an ethical debate about torture. But hey I've hijacked more than a few threads in my time, so feel free.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Art as Torture
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:53:41