(and Question) Hi, and why is my screen so wide?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » (and Question) Hi, and why is my screen so wide?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Deftil

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 02:16 am
Hello, I'm Deftil from Virginia, USA.

I enjoy discussing philosophy on other forums so I thought I'd give some new ones a try. Some of my philosophical fields of interest are Ethics/ Moral Philosophy, Epistemology, Metaphysics/ Ontology, Phil. of Mind, Phil. of Religion, and Phil. of Science.

Some philosophers that interest me are Diogenes, Hobbes, Hume, Searle, and Dennett.

I was also wondering why things on this forum don't fit on my screen; I have to scroll to the right to read posts, etc. I had a look around the options and the FAQ but I couldn't find anything about how to fix that. Sorry to be such a noob but can anybody tell me how?

Thanks!

Vasska

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 05:26 am
@Deftil,
Welcome to the forums.

And for your screen problem try this if you have Windows XP (or below)
How to set your screen resolution in Windows

And this one in Vista:
Windows Vista Help: Change screen resolution

VideCorSpoon

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 08:47 am
@Vasska,
Welcome Deftil!

Sounds like your interested in a wide degree of philosophical perspectives. Hope to see you around the forum.

My experience has been that when things do not fit on the screen, there is usually an image or something posted that expands the text area. Other than that, I don't know.

But anyway, Welcome!

Justin

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:56 am
@Deftil,
Hi and welcome Deftil! Please that you have registered and hope we can get that screen resolution problem resolved.

As vasska pointed out, it's more than likely the screen resolution of your monitor. If you are on an older and smaller monitor with screen resolution of 800x600 then yes, the forum will be too big to view. You can change this resolution as vasska has given you links to this. There is too much to fit into a small resolution monitor so I believe it's 968 pixels in width which will eventually be larger yet in years from now.

Change the resolution of your monitor which will make it fit and our website is smaller than many when it comes to the size so your experience on the web will be much better all the way around. Worst case scenario, you may need to upgrade your monitor if it's old to a newer flat panel that is capable of higher resolutions.

Welcome to the forum!

Deftil

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:32 pm
@Justin,
Greetings Vasska, VideCorSpoon, and Justin. Thanks for your warm welcome and attempts to help me with my screen issue.

I think Justin hit the nail on the head about the older and smaller resolution monitor being the issue. I didn't realize this was the issue at first because almost every other website or forum fits just fine on my screen. Oh well, changing the resolution is simple enough! Kinda stinks though because then everything on the screen ends up fairly small. Heh, that's life. =)

Justin

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 10:05 pm
@Deftil,
Yeah, it might be time for an update. Before we changed the resolution of the forum there was some research involved and about 4% of everyone who visits the forum have 800x screen width. I have a 7 year old 15 inch monitor that I use daily it works well on. I found this in a sale somewhere for $10. Good luck none-the-less and you'll really enjoy a higher resolution. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Vasska

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:10 am
@Deftil,
Deftil wrote:
Greetings Vasska, VideCorSpoon, and Justin. Thanks for your warm welcome and attempts to help me with my screen issue.

I think Justin hit the nail on the head about the older and smaller resolution monitor being the issue. I didn't realize this was the issue at first because almost every other website or forum fits just fine on my screen. Oh well, changing the resolution is simple enough! Kinda stinks though because then everything on the screen ends up fairly small. Heh, that's life. =)

Many websites auto size to your screen. However as time goes by lower resolutions get abandoned by many websites, for usability of users with bigger screen resolutions.

Many sites however (like Ebay, Amazon and other populair sites) still accept the lower resolutions because so many people don't have a clue on how to change things on the computer (no insult intended btw)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » (and Question) Hi, and why is my screen so wide?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:58:58