Intoxication - Beer Goggles

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Intoxication - Beer Goggles

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 05:31 pm
Are beer goggles good? Do they make everything more beautiful? If not, then should aesthetic issues be judged solely by sober folk?

This is an aesthetic issue relevant to the discrimination of the importance of identifiable aspects of a subject/object.

What does peuples thinks?

William

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 06:56 pm
@Doobah47,
Are you sure you are not talking about "anesthetic" issues? Ha.
William

Doobah47

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:25 pm
@William,
How about gunpowder tea goggles?

dawoel

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 05:38 am
@Doobah47,
If you think beer goggles are bad do not for the love of god take extacy...man that was rough...

Anyway, if by sober you mean no drugs or mental issues clouding a normal perception, then no, I think a crazy person's perspective on beauty can be just as valuable if not more so, as they may be able to look at things in a way we can only dream of!

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 07:28 am
@dawoel,
Intoxication, by whatever drug, alters perception. However, each individual necessarily has a unique perspective, thus perception, anyway. Aesthetic issues should be judged by whoever is struck with the whim to do so: sober or otherwise.

If we are talking about academic or professional analysis, then sobriety is preferable because sobriety is the standard mode to which we can all relate (unless the piece is intended to be understood through some sort of intoxication). Otherwise, judge regardless of mental state.

salima

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 09:08 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47;47493 wrote:
Are beer goggles good? Do they make everything more beautiful? If not, then should aesthetic issues be judged solely by sober folk?

This is an aesthetic issue relevant to the discrimination of the importance of identifiable aspects of a subject/object.

i think if you meet a princess in a bar while you are drunk and you take her home and wake up the next morning with a toad you should know the answer to your question.

my question is why do we have to drink to stop seeing toads instead of people?

my observation is that people i have known who drink are not made mean by drinking-but if they were mean they get meaner, if they were funny sober they are funnier drunk, and if they are loving or cheerful they are even more so when drunk. hootch enhances their natural characteristics. if they become a different person, that is only because when they were sober they were hiding who they really are and when drunk can no longer do that.

my opinion is if it loosens the inhibitions of someone who is really stiff, that is a good thing-but if it loosens the inhibitions of a person so they can no longer control their bladder that is a bad thing.

unfortunately i think most people would become addicted to it, a new and dangerous variable is introduced, and then the picture changes totally. what a pity...

Anais

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 03:14 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47;47493 wrote:

I am not so sure that it does make "everything" more beautiful at all.

I am fairly certain that a level of vision impairment occurs, and from there the brain adjusts the image to the desired interpretation.

Doobah47

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 05:48 am
@Anais,
Ok, let's put this another way:
Am I allowed to burn some cannabis flavour incense at the local pub?

Would I be allowed to drink 30 units before making a half decent decision?

Does tossing a coin when negating a dichotomy produce a morally positive decision?

Here's the crux - should anybody pay the judge? If they do he might base his judgement on the pretense that he will be paid for any decision, then he might be thinking of the brandy he is going to buy with the money he gets paid when he brings down his hammer, so his judgement is impaired by the fact that he is employed.

A grand (1 000) per second, backdated to 01.02.1947

Tick tock.

:devilish:

While we're here; this troppo impaired judge means that the only person who can make a logical decision is a 'jury'. And they're impaired, obviously, otherwise they would use their knowledge of the law to avoid sitting in a dusty room with a bunch of strangers trying to decide whether 11 came before 9 or the other way round...

Ho hum

aandromeda

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:26 pm
@William,
No, I'm pretty sure they're thinking of "aesthetic".

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Intoxication - Beer Goggles
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 08:15:33