mnmlcog from Central CA

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » mnmlcog from Central CA

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

mnmlcog

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:13 pm
Greetings! I'm very happy to find this forum. I am a returning college student who has become very serious about my education and career/life goals. I have always been an armchair philosopher to some degree, but now I want to pursue a career in cognitive science, so obviously philosophy is a very important branch of my studies. I have not yet taken a logic or related philosophy class but from my own (spare time) reading I have, well, an armchair philosopher's grasp on philosophy (which now that I've taken a psychology course, I realize, is merely a grasp on the tip of an iceberg).

I will probably be asking a lot of questions in the future, and I look forward to reading posts, especially anything related to linguistics, symbols, analogies, philosophy of A.I., the mind-body problem, and other cogsci related topics (as well as unrelated, of course).

:listening: - mnmlcog

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:30 pm
@mnmlcog,
sofa philosopher (i.e. one who partakes in sofology) and don't take to kindly to arm chair philosophers round these parts. LOL! Just kidding! But not about the sofology stuff though... I was quite serious about that.

I hope you enjoy the forum. You are sure to engage your interests here. If you are interested in cognitive science, you might want to try the rationalists( i.e. Descartes, Spinoza, and Leibniz) and empiricists (i.e. Hume, Berkeley, and Locke). Very good accounts of a-priori and a-posteriori originations of knowledge. Also, classical Indian philosophy has always been illuminating in that area of philosophy as well.

Also, you may be interested in etymology (the originations of a word), oratorical semantics, and especially logic.

Welcome!

Justin

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:35 pm
@mnmlcog,
Warm welcome to you. Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself and hope you find this forum to suit your philosophical side. Many good discussions and a great many good people that contribute.

Hope you can find your way around and we look forward to your involvement... and feel free to ask questions.

mnmlcog

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:48 am
@Justin,
Thanks for the warm welcome, and especially the reading suggestions! And as far as Sofology is concerned, if you look at the evidence, armchairosophy is clearly a more effective model (see figure 1: recliner & drink holder).

lol

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:22 am
@mnmlcog,
http://i36.tinypic.com/2llhs9z.jpg

Vasska

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 01:33 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Really VideCorSpoon, what went on in your mind when you thought of that!

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:40 pm
@Vasska,
Vasska... You never thought about how many Nietzsche's you could fit on various pieces of furniture? LOL!

PursuitOfReality

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 09:05 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Welcome to the forums. I'm glad to have found them too! Lol@ the Nietzsches and a Kierkegaard.

mnmlcog

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:33 pm
@PursuitOfReality,
VideCorSpoon ---

though I must take time to prepare my rebuttal, allow me to point out that though eternal return suggests that we are trapped, reliving ourselves over and over again, it is arguable that Nietzsche's take on the concept does not necessarily imply the recurrence of the same state within identical material beings, so that in this case...

the sum of all Nietzsche's duplicate parts are not greater than the whole of one firmly seated Nietzsche...especially if you add a TV Dinner tray upon which he can write. How many Nietzsche DOES it take (or is Kierkegaard doing all the work?) to write Thus Spake Zarathustra?

Though the axioms of this system are not yet clearly defined, I believe we are on to something. I stick to my armchair model, and I assure you, a full rebuttal will be presented here soon.

(everything aside, I literally laughed out loud at the diagram, and thats rare for me, lol)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » mnmlcog from Central CA
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 10:48:28