Is the Beauty is healing, salutary, curative power???

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Is the Beauty is healing, salutary, curative power???

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 04:27 am
Can The Beauty (as almost the most important category in aesthetics) really save our world???Is the Beauty a supreme (highest) rule of the Universe??? Can it be a creative power, which transforms human mind in tendency to more harmonious????

Good luck to everyone

Justin

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 08:55 am
@gera2008,
I would think that beauty would have to be something that one discovers within him or herself. So if people see beauty within themselves, they would know better how to recognize it in others. This alone would save our world. Beauty would seem to be directly connected to love.

ogden

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 07:56 pm
@gera2008,
gera2008 wrote:
Can The Beauty (as almost the most important category in aesthetics) really save our world???Is the Beauty a supreme (highest) rule of the Universe??? Can it be a creative power, which transforms human mind in tendency to more harmonious????

Good luck to everyone

Good question. It's interesting to think of why we value certain things beautifull and others repugnant, or just dull. Why is semitry apealing? what makes some sounds music and others just noise? I think that if we look closely it will be evident that certain things are beautifull due to our specific biology as human receptors of stimuli. from the range of precievable light and sound to the very way our brains are structured. so beauty may well be IN the eye of the beholder. Change the receptor and it affects the subjective experience. Maybe that's why dogs don't appreciate the harmonica.

Harmony is beautfull. Beauty is relative by nature, and it seems humans have a hard time agreeing on beauty. Cultural differences influence peoples ideas of beauty. I value diverse cultures for that very reason. Food, music, art, literature, even religion has cultural value prefferances rooted in beauty. It would be a bland predictable world if we all valued the very same things, but when we open our minds (transform) to what others value it is always a unifying experience.

As far as beauty saving the world it hasn't been shown that the world needs saving, or do you mean the world as we know it. Lets say we humans unleash nuclear war and anialate most of the life on the planet; whatever survived would go on, and beuty would go on, but beuty would then be in thier eyes.

thanks

Play Dough

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2008 12:18 pm
@gera2008,
gera2008;8186 wrote:

Good luck to everyone

In Metaphysics there is a concept called "The Return of The Goddess".
The Return of The Goddess does not 'save our world' but, rather, indicates a level of success whereby one has 'ascended' (evolved) to the level of 'reality' wherein "Beauty" dwells.
At this level of "Beauty" Man exists in harmony with nature, 'ralionality' is a tool rather than a master, community operates within the context of co-operation' rather than competition, a sense of the sacred has been restored to consciousness, the 'human condition' has been 'removed from the cross' of exclusive materialism, and life has been transformed into a rich experience maintained by a constant awareness of one's inner divinity and infinite potential. All and all, the "Beauty" represents Man without fallacy and freed from the drudgery and tyranny of the (previous) 'Dark Age'.

"The Beauty" is Man's next evolutionary leap out of Plato's Cave and into the effulgent light of "The Golden Age of Illumination'.

gera2008

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 03:49 am
@Play Dough,
The Beauty is mysterious unity of harmony, proportion, measure, form and rhythm. The beautiful becomes apparent everywhere, certainly if man’s eyes don’t drossy and full of dust. Our world in every moment of our Life demonstrates wonderful recoveries of Beauty. The Beauty is the most fundamental thing in the Universe. All Reasonable and advisable things, of course, are beautiful.

The Beauty really exists. It can create the feeling of our imperfection. It shoves us slightly to our future development, achievements and our personal progress.

Doobah47

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 01:30 pm
@ogden,
ogden wrote:
what makes some sounds music and others just noise?

I think you'll find that there is a human formula in music, and I think, where music is concerned especially, that the formula is down to indoctrination; we have learnt to decide through taste whether some sound is 'music' or not, and taste is simply an indoctrination, whether by external influence or through oneself - people can eat disgusting vomit inducing substances if their concern is not to eat but to consume psychedelics, their taste is simply an indoctrination that can be bypassed if we are voluntarily attempting to enjoy the taste of an effect rather than say a food-lovers taste.

I doubt that any composer or musician can bypass the use or introduction of a formula, ever, it is something that makes us human, we are governed by formulii and we cant help but use them.

Khethil

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 05:52 pm
@gera2008,
gera2008 wrote:
Can The Beauty (as almost the most important category in aesthetics) really save our world???

No, not on its own.

gera2008 wrote:
Is the Beauty a supreme (highest) rule of the Universe???

No. This question is fraught with presumptions. But as I take the intent of the question, I'd say no.

gera2008 wrote:
Can it be a creative power, which transforms human mind in tendency to more harmonious????

Ahh... very nice question! In itself, no. But I'd think the appreciation thereof could serve as a catalyst - inspiring not just harmony, but towards creation, healing, fellowship. Acknowledgment and appreciation could indeed be an Essential Ingredient for good things.

boagie

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 06:37 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
I think you'll find that there is a human formula in music, and I think, where music is concerned especially, that the formula is down to indoctrination; we have learnt to decide through taste whether some sound is 'music' or not, and taste is simply an indoctrination, whether by external influence or through oneself - people can eat disgusting vomit inducing substances if their concern is not to eat but to consume psychedelics, their taste is simply an indoctrination that can be bypassed if we are voluntarily attempting to enjoy the taste of an effect rather than say a food-lovers taste.

I doubt that any composer or musician can bypass the use or introduction of a formula, ever, it is something that makes us human, we are governed by formulii and we cant help but use them.

Doobah,

Please expand on what you mean by formula, left undefined it means nothing to me, is it according to you indoctraination. While people tend to have appreciation of the familar, music as a whole, is a universal language, and it is a pattern, melody is pattern, beat is pattern, rythm is pattern, it is mathamatcial if you like, it is order and it is beautiful because it is orderly. Complexity may vary, but often simplicity in its function can be very beautiful. if one is a musician, all music is a delightful variation on patterns, and yes, it soothes the savage beast, order soothes, disorder causes, dis-ease.

Doobah47

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:58 pm
@gera2008,
I think you've understood me - by formula I mean the application of some kind of dogmatic, formulaic process or structure; so just like a formula in maths, x+x=sonic pleasure in music. Even the simplest things like using multiple strings tuned to different notes displays formula; complimentary notes must have a root in our biology otherwise we wouldn't appreciate them like we do.

boagie

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:43 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
I think you've understood me - by formula I mean the application of some kind of dogmatic, formulaic process or structure; so just like a formula in maths, x+x=sonic pleasure in music. Even the simplest things like using multiple strings tuned to different notes displays formula; complimentary notes must have a root in our biology otherwise we wouldn't appreciate them like we do.

Doobah,Smile

Yes, we do agree. Formula is just an alternative term to express a certain pattern or order. Yes music is rooted in the body, it speaks to the nature of order as what you are. I think it is important to remember that all things are ordered.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 09:59 am
@gera2008,
gera2008 wrote:

Good luck to everyone

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Aesthetics
  3. » Is the Beauty is healing, salutary, curative power???
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 05:58:44