Greetings from an Aspiring Writer

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings from an Aspiring Writer

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:56 pm
Hello Philosophy Forum, my name is Ashley, but I'd prefer to be called by my pseudonym, Lilith.

As the title suggests, I am an aspiring fantasy author and free verse poet. I am currently in the beginnings of my first fantasy series, in which I hope to include deep plots that circulate around the truth about "right" and "wrong", the value of morals and their validity outside the common societies initially represented, and what the true meaning of 'justice' really entails while simultaneously depicting the life and experiences of my protagonist(s) through his(their) own eyes and the way they interpret the aforementioned ideas.

I hope to deepen my knowledge of such ideas by using this site as a catalyst. My interests generally revolve around Epistemology, Metaphysics, Ethics, and Logic.

I'm also planning on enrolling in Philosophy some time in my college career, perhaps in the midst of my other fortes: foreign language, linguistics, and English composition.

Anyways, hi, what's up? :meeting:

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:30 pm
@Lilith Karr,
Hello, and welcome to the forums. I hope to read some creative writing from you at some point. Linguistics is a part of philosophy so make sure to take the theory classes that look at the subject with a philosophic lens.

Lilith Karr

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:34 pm
@Theaetetus,
I shall when I get there (I'm only a rising Junior unfortunately), and thank you for the welcome.

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:50 pm
@Theaetetus,
Welcome Lilith!

Sounds like an interesting set of substantive themes. If you want to get some very thorough information about right or wrong, Ronald Dworkin has some very interesting thoughts on the "penumbra" of law. Essentially the penumbra is the grey area between the light and dark side of the moon. And he posits the view that the penumbra with its craters and mountains is essentially the testing grounds of right and wrong, justice and injustice, etc. But he comes to some very interesting conclusions. Also, you may like to examine existential normative frameworks. I have found the best representations of the theory in black existentialist literature. It is also a good point in black existential literature to examine extreme relativism.

You may also be interested in, (since you are interested in literature, ) etymology (essentially the deeper contexts of words). I found it a very rewarding section of philosophy to understand.

Also, philosophy as a major is very rewarding. Myself and a few others have majored in it when we were at university. There's even a professor on the forum. There are some drawbacks, but the benefits are extraordinary. But everyone here has different degrees and educations that contribute to a very rich community. You'll enjoy it.

Anywho, the site can be very useful to you and your aspirations. Welcome!

Lilith Karr

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 07:57 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Thank you very much for the recommendations. I'll be sure to check into your suggestions in the near future. ^^

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:19 pm
@Lilith Karr,
Oh, Lilith - sounds like you will make me jealous. I've always envied writers, I'm such a terrible writer myself.

Glad to see you on the forums.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Greetings from an Aspiring Writer
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:28:53