Learning To See

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Walter Russell
  3. » Learning To See

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:12 am
I was meditating upon the following quotation out of 'A New Concept of the Universe' and felt compelled to share my thoughts on it with all of you here:

[quote]The senses are limited to but a small range of perception of the EFFECTS which they sense, and even that small range is saturated with the deceptions and distortions created by the illusion of motion.

It is impossible for the senses to penetrate any EFFECT to ascertain its CAUSE for the cause of illusion is not within effect. For this reason the entire mass of so-called empirical knowledge which science has gained by reasoning through the senses is invalid.[/quote]

What this means to me is that the physical body is of motion, which includes the senses (being physical receptors of wave motion).

Therefore, ALL conclusions drawn from sense experience are marked by the impermanence of motion. It is not that those conclusions are "untrue" per se, but they will be ever-evolving, and ever-changing because...

Everything within this physical reality is actually a dynamic process, in which we see but one section of this process at a time when observed through the senses.

I have made a picture to help us to visualize it:

http://www.geocities.com/information_synthesis/motionastime.GIF

The top half of the photo is of a woman dancing, which is what everyone would normally see through their eyes. The bottom half is the process of the woman dancing, which can only be experienced in Mind.

If we all experienced our lives in such a manner we would realize very quickly that we only sense an extremely small window. All concepts of sexism, racism, fascism, materialism, etc. are the result of sensing through such a narrow space.

For example, take a look around at the many things inside your home and experience their process. When I look around my house I sense not many objects I seem to "own", but rather, I experience many creations made by the hands of many people. I realize that I have more from the goodness in the actions of others than I could ever have if I existed alone.

But I digress...The question we must ask ourselves is:

Is the key to our perception the ability to know things as One whole in our Mind, instead of many parts in our senses?

Hopefully, this concept can serve you in not only interpreting the Russell cosmogony, but also in Life itself. Thank you for reading.

Fido

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:19 pm
@info synthesis,
Truth is social. We learn the truth while we learn our names, because some one is kind enough to tell us. No. We cannot see all or be all, and who cares at all. We have our little piece of reality and people give us the rest. We don't need to know beyond a reasonable doubt. We don't have to know at all. It is a sort of curse to seek certainty because it wastes so much life for so little truth. Does this help?

info synthesis

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
@Fido,
Thank you for sharing your truth. :flowers:

TheHermit

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 04:44 pm
@Fido,
info_sythesis wrote:

Walter Russell Said.
The senses are limited to but a small range of perception of the EFFECTS which they sense, and even that small range is saturated with the deceptions and distortions created by the illusion of motion.

It is impossible for the senses to penetrate any EFFECT to ascertain its CAUSE for the cause of illusion is not within effect. For this reason the entire mass of so-called empirical knowledge which science has gained by reasoning through the senses is invalid.

Fido said.
Truth is social. We learn the truth while we learn our names, because some one is kind enough to tell us. No. We cannot see all or be all, and who cares at all. We have our little piece of reality and people give us the rest. We don't need to know beyond a reasonable doubt. We don't have to know at all. It is a sort of curse to seek certainty because it wastes so much life for so little truth. Does this help?

What Walter Russell says is true but he does not elaborate because obviously he was able to penetrate Effect to see the Cause. With our ordinary senses as they are we are not able to penetrate an object we are observing to see what the truth behind it is! So Walter Russell explains therefore not being able to penetrate its cause we cannot in truth know the why of its existence.

But yet penetrating Effect is exactly what many mystics have done. Of course the reason they can do this is because their reason has shown them that the object must be an illusion. In following this path of investigation the mystic is then able to "develop" other "inner senses" that open this world to them. Then by concentrating on a flower for instance they are able to penetrate beyond its form and then the flower speaks to them and reveals its secrets. On golden pond comes to mind. Francis of Assisi speaking to the wolf comes to mind. These inner senses can allow the mystic to look at the mountain and be able to see the light that comes from them which no one else but they can observe. The Mountain speaks, opens up and reveals its secrets. The mystic can see beyond form back to where it became God's idea.

Fido, I can't really believe that you truly feel that life is more important than truth! Truth is not dependant on what people think it is for it stands by itself. You are more than your senses and you are not your body. We are not put on this earth to live but to find the truth and liberate ourself from the wheel of suffering! People that feel this way have wasted many incarnations and will continue in the wheel of suffering. You are given a body to find truth and not to envelop your self in the world of form and sensing.

Remember the Lord Buddha sitting by the river all hungry and dirty. The boat that passed by him carrying a child and his father. The boy broke his musical instrument's string. The Father said "No my son, if the string is too tight the string will break if it is too loose it will not Play!" The Buddha understood, he had found the Middle Path. He sttod up and bathed and fed his body. He latter became the Awaken One and no longer in the wheel of suffering.

The Hermit

paulhanke

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:13 pm
@info synthesis,
info_synthesis wrote:
For example, take a look around at the many things inside your home and experience their process.

... consider for a moment a slightly less thing-associated concept of process ... take the sculpture in your living room - what's its process? ... the geological process of earth?; the artistic process of the artist?; the ownership process of you? ... then consider the dancer as she floats by, leaving pieces of herself on all things she comes in contact with ... is the process of these left-behind pieces still the dancer? ... or is the process of these left-behind pieces now the dust mite? ... then take a single living cell ... it continuously takes in new material and excretes old material and before you know it it has replaced every single atom in it's being.

So in reality, processes float free of any individual "thing" - but on the other hand the universe of things is precisely what makes processes possible in the first place ... and as these processes float by through the universe of things, touching and drawing upon individual things as they go, they leave their mark and give these individual things a history ... and it is by recognizing the history of a thing that we can marvel at and empathize with the infinity of processes that have left their mark on it ... ... ... Smile

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Walter Russell
  3. » Learning To See
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.4 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:26:42