I'm asking for some help.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » I'm asking for some help.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Iota

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:27 pm
Hi. I'm a new member and I've joined as part of a project I'm working on. I've always had an interest in philosophy. I took it in college and enjoyed it. Now, I'm working on a book and I've planned to open it with a rundown of the major philosophers from Plato to Kierkegaard. In the course of doing this, I need to know if, if I posted some of the work here, could the community review it to make sure I understand what I'm saying. I want to move as smoothly as possible from one philospher and his/her period of time to the next and with philosophies being so different, I can imagine that might not be the easiest thing to do. So as I attempt, I asking if I could get help some help. Is it acceptable to the community to ask for this kind of help from the community?

Arjen

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:41 pm
@Iota,
Hi Iota, Smile

Pleased to make your acquaintance. I would like to say two things on this matter.

1) I would like to see what your work is all about and I would like to review some of the philosopher you are going to mention. I bet a lot of us would enjoy that.

2) I would like to point out that, when it comes to philosophy, understanding what you are saying might just be a life's work. Everthing must be viewed from certain perspectives, such as the time the philosopher lived in and the thought-objects that come along with it. To have a good grasp of what a philosopher is saying in a cognitive way is nigh impossible and takes a clear graps of all branches of philosophy, science and life itself. I hope you understand that. On a brighter note I think that a brief mentioning would take less of an effort. I wanted to have said so on forehand though.

Arjen

Aedes

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 03:40 pm
@Arjen,
Welcome to the forum, Iota. I'd suggest posting your writing samples in the blog space that's provided here and people can feel free to comment on it. It's probably not quite so appropriate for the discussion forums.

While the members and staff on this forum have varying degrees of experience and formal education in the history of western philosophy, I don't think anyone here is at a doctoral or graduate level, and I'm not sure it would be wise to seek academic endorsement here. You'd be better off looking at some of the many good synopses of this field that have been published elsewhere, then finding independent review among philosophy faculty at some institution or another. This is usually necessary anyway, and you'd obviously have to acknowledge the editorial assistance in the book.

Iota

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 06:44 pm
@Aedes,
Dear Andes:

Thanks very much. My original plan was to draft my overview and then, give it to a philosophy PhD at the University of Utah. I got the idea of having it "peer reviewed" on Philosophy Forum first, since because the forum discusses philosophy on a regular basis, I thought you could at least help me put it in a decent format. If you think it might be a good idea to give examples of my writing style, here's my website; www.dmassociates.biz. Arjen, another member of the forum, suggested that. I've never been part of a discussion board or community like this. So, I'm not clear yet of what I should do or how. I realize I'm coming into a community and I don't want to anger anybody, especially since I'm asking for help on something. When I get this draft written, I'm not sure how to post to a blog. This that I'm writing on now isn't it, right?

Don

Justin

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:41 pm
@Iota,
Iota wrote:
In the course of doing this, I need to know if, if I posted some of the work here, could the community review it to make sure I understand what I'm saying. I want to move as smoothly as possible from one philosopher and his/her period of time to the next and with philosophies being so different, I can imagine that might not be the easiest thing to do. So as I attempt, I asking if I could get help some help. Is it acceptable to the community to ask for this kind of help from the community?

Welcome to the forum Iota! Got a little behind on welcomes. :surrender: Thank you for the introduction and asking about this. I think the community would be more than happy to review it and comment on it. Please PM me with more information and we'll see if we can't brainstorm a way to make something like this beneficial to the community, yourself and others who may stumble across it. Maybe this could be something on the collaborative side.

Iota wrote:
Arjen, another member of the forum, suggested that. I've never been part of a discussion board or community like this. So, I'm not clear yet of what I should do or how. I realize I'm coming into a community and I don't want to anger anybody, especially since I'm asking for help on something. When I get this draft written, I'm not sure how to post to a blog. This that I'm writing on now isn't it, right?

What you've posted above is a 'Post' or a response within a thread. A thread is the main topic of discussion and starts out with the New Thread button.

To reply to the main topic (thread), simply browse down the page to the Post Reply button. To reply to a reply, within a thread, simply hit the quick reply button or.

If you'd like to quote someone, selecting Quote Post with take you to another page with the full editor. If you select Multi Quote button, it will turn yellow so you know it's clicked and as you browse the thread, you can select that button on several posts and then when you hit Post Reply at the bottom, it will have all those quoted in your reply editor separated by 1 line and a quote tag. Then you simply delete the text you don't want to save some room and be specific. Quoting will have the quote and /quote tag with the box [] around it.

Rather than getting into a long discussion about this, I will make several videos and publish them on the forum. Tutorials of the sort. We really need some of these as forums can be quite complex if you aren't on them all the time. Videos would be of great assistance so I'll be sure to get a couple made before the week ending.

Meanwhile, I would highly recommend taking a look at the FAQ and just take your time as the forum is designed to be both intuitive and explanatory. If you look close and mouse over slowly, there will be text to help you along the way.

You'll find that in this forum, we try our best not to get angry with one another. Glad you asked about this and feel free to PM me as maybe a social forum for this project would be a way to organize and present it.

Thanks for joining and thanks again for asking your questions. Look forward to your PM. ... .

... Oh, before I forget, PM is simply and acronym for Private Message. Simply click my name above on this post and a pop up box will present to you a link to send private message. Feel free to ask questions in the forum as well.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » I'm asking for some help.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:47:31