1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Is this an introduction?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 04:47 am
Well, I have to introduce myself, so here goes:
I was raised an athiest.
Then chose to be agnostice.
Then decided to be muslim when I was 15 (yeh I'm a white muslim).
My favourite philosophers are:
Socrates who then taught
Plato who taught
Aristotle.
Aristotle then taught Alexander the great, but he isn't a philosopher.
My favourite philisophical Alorgy is Socrates/Platos alorgy of the cave. If you look it up, you'll nottice the striking similarities between that and the matrix.
I believe that it near impossible to disprove somethings existence, but I believe that if God exists, then he would give proof for his existence, rather that the humans have to rationalize his existence. Also, if a religion were true there would be evidence within that religion.
I choose to be muslim because I believe that the quran can be scientifically proven, but I also accept the possibility that I may be wrong.
The only way I can reason why the quran is so perfect though it was revealed 1400 years ago (supposedly) is either this is a dream/figment of imagination/my brain in a jar somewhere/matrix glitch, or an alien gave the quran to muhammad, or someone went back in time to give quran to muhammad, or the quran really is the book from God. So I take pascals wager and play it safe by acting as if it was from God.
Yes I am a rationalist thinker but accept that I must act empirically to survive in the world I'm comprehending.

PS: I forgot to say, in my free time, I self-study ancient religions and scripts. I'm currently working on the dead sea scrolls and the nag hamadit library.
I'm not advertising but I think this is a brillient site for all your ancient scripts needs:
Internet Sacred Text Archive Home
If theres a rule against putting up URLs, remind me and I'll take it down.
I admit I only skimmed through the rules 'cause I couldn't wait to start on the forum

Aristoddler

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:27 am
@one-philosophy,
An agnostic Muslim?
I thought the concept behind the Muslim law was to follow the Quran with undoubted faith.
It'll be an interesting topic in the religion threads for certain.
Welcome to the site, one-philosophy.

boagie

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:28 am
@one-philosophy,
Smile
Welcome one-philosophy, I find believers puzzling, but we certainly have our share of them here. It does not sound as though your new to the consideration of philosophical ideas, so relax, respond to a thread, or start a topic on something you would like to explore. We are most please to have you with us. :)boagie

VideCorSpoon

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 09:30 am
@boagie,
As-salaam alaykum!

I'm very interested to gain some perspective from a practicing Muslim.

It's interesting that you compare the allegory of the cave to the matrix. I hear that the matrix was inspired by Descartes Meditations on first philosophy and meditations and Hilary Putnam's "Brain in a Vat." They are very good reads if you are interested.

I agree with you that it is impossible to disprove something's existence. But theological evidence is very relative understanding.

I read the Quran a few years ago, and honestly it is almost identical in nature to the bible. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on scientific proof though.

Any who, Welcome! Ma'a Salaama!

one-philosophy

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 01:06 am
@Aristoddler,
Aristoddler;19861 wrote:
An agnostic Muslim?
I thought the concept behind the Muslim law was to follow the Quran with undoubted faith.
It'll be an interesting topic in the religion threads for certain.
Welcome to the site, one-philosophy.

I use to be agnostic, then I was muslim AFTER my agnosticism

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 01:13 am
@one-philosophy,
Good to see you on the forums.

one-philosophy

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 01:16 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Well, then I'll just have to make a thread for the sciences mighten't I!
Also I heard that a woman called sophia stewart wrote scripts for a book/film called the third eye and supposedly warner bros ripped her off and made the matrix and the terminator series from them (think of the matrix as a sequel to the terminator series).
I'm not so sure about the terminator as such, but if you look at the matrix, there are so many biblical comparisons. For example, Neo is latin for new, it is also an anagram for one. Neo is prophesised and told he's waiting for another life from the oricle. Neo sort of dies in a way and comes back stronger (rises from the dead). Trinity is trinity, and you can't have jesus without the trinity (in christian belief). Cypher is judas of iscariot. I think nebacadnezar is a city of king in babylon. Take a look at psalm 137. It says "by the rivers of babylon. Where we sat down. Where we as we remembered zion".
Zion refering to israel. In the lovie, zion is the last human city.
Morphius seems a bit like john babptist. He paves the way for neo/jesus and the badies try to get into his head. In the bible solome wants johns head.
In the second film, all I could really get was that agent smith turns into a gog and magog type thing.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Is this an introduction?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:34:47